• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2021 at 2:32 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks for posting these AlphaOmega, please feel free to keep doing so.  Any Peps or Zips other than those posted on Heritage?

Yes, this collection had Pep Comics #1-65 and Zip Comics #1-47.  I'll post the covers to Zip Comics next in a few groups.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:26 AM, ThothAmon said:

Amazing and not just because I was a customer of Jim’s at his first Empire Comics Mt. Hope store in 1976 with a weekly pull list until 1986. I know there must be more to show as Archie 1 was previously sold in the first round of pinnacle books. Where are the rest of the Archie’s?  Inquiring minds want to know?  BTW great video. 

From everything that I can tell, there were no other Archie comics except for #1. In talking to Lon Allen, he said that he saw the entire collection in 2010 and he did not mention any other Archie books.  There were several comic related coffee table books in the estate the nephew inherited which is most likely how the original owner tracked down many of the titles & issue numbers prior to resources that we have today.  I did not see any Archie specific books so I'm guessing the original owner wanted to stay focused on the hero issues & titles.

From anecdotal stories I have picked up, the original owner, Gene, would often hang out at Empire comics and chat with Tony & Jim. Only those guys would know for sure but they are all gone now.  Chances are you crossed paths with the owner on your visits to Empire Comics.

There were a handful of original MLJ artwork pages with this collection that are also in the Heritage September 2021 auction.  The only piece that Ed & Lon did not have any interest in was a 1960's or so page from an Archie title.

Here is the Pinnacle Hill run of Blue Ribbon Comics. The later issues in this run are exceptionally nice!  Several of these are in the Heritage Signature auction starting in a few weeks. It looks like several did not make it back from CGC in time and will most likely be in the November auction.

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.929e1d9f81e85e16bd16462104c2a1a1.JPG