• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 5:42 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks RJ!!! Since I bought the #1, I figured this #2 was reasonably priced and it's really just conserved anyway, so it fit the bill. NOW they're gonna be hard to find!  :ohnoez:

Some very sound logic my friend. They do get tougher after the 2, but very worth the wait!

On 9/12/2021 at 6:24 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I used to own a copy of Top Notch #16 and a buddy of mine always enjoyed the flesh-puncture cover!!!  :jaws:

LOL! Intense, right? I bet this cover gave nightmares... or a phobia of the ocean... to at least a few little kids.

On 9/13/2021 at 12:03 AM, Point Five said:

LOL! Intense, right? I bet this cover gave nightmares... or a phobia of the ocean... to at least a few little kids.

MLJs have so many skewed and nightmarish covers, but clearly that's what sold back then. The forerunners of PCH...

On 9/12/2021 at 6:10 PM, Point Five said:

#16 is actually one of the Top-Notches I own and I can't resist the chance to post it again.

The monster in the lower left chompin' away on the hero cracks me up, and might be the best part of this cover. lol

topnotch16.jpg.fe30e93d3e4870cdc258da729c91620d.jpg

Share as often as you like 👍 

On 9/12/2021 at 7:19 PM, Mutie Fan said:

I almost never see a copy of #22 come up.

The 5.0 W that just sold at Heritage went for $13,200.00 with BP. I suspect it must be one of the scarcer issues. 

My #s 12 and 16 for fun. 

Top Notch #12 Front.jpg

Top Notch #16 Front.jpg

Bravo!:applause:

And yes, 22 is another toughie 

On 9/12/2021 at 3:10 PM, Point Five said:

#16 is actually one of the Top-Notches I own and I can't resist the chance to post it again.

The monster in the lower left chompin' away on the hero cracks me up, and might be the best part of this cover. lol

topnotch16.jpg.fe30e93d3e4870cdc258da729c91620d.jpg

Thats a beautiful copy. The colors on your copy really pop!

On 9/13/2021 at 4:00 AM, Frisco Larson said:

That looks much better! The colors are very strong on your copy!  :applause:

Thank you. The colors from the scan are a good representation of the book in hand. I actually scanned it again after my initial post using a higher resolution and it looks really nice, but no need to double post. I've always been a bit disappointed in my scans, I figured it was time I learned how to use the Vue Scan software better. 

On 9/13/2021 at 6:30 AM, Mutie Fan said:

Thank you. The colors from the scan are a good representation of the book in hand. I actually scanned it again after my initial post using a higher resolution and it looks really nice, but no need to double post. I've always been a bit disappointed in my scans, I figured it was time I learned how to use the Vue Scan software better. 

It's certainly a challenge to get good quality pics and scans but it makes an enormous difference when you figure it out! I still need work in that area .....  :ohnoez:.  lol

On 9/13/2021 at 5:33 AM, Frisco Larson said:

It's certainly a challenge to get good quality pics and scans but it makes an enormous difference when you figure it out! I still need work in that area .....  :ohnoez:.  lol

Point Fives scan of his #16 just struck me as so much nicer than the scans I was getting I figured I would experiment on the new arrival a bit. Now I want to re-scan all my GA. lol

I noticed the biggest difference in how my scans look is when I actually wear my glasses. :facepalm: I really need to do that more. 

Edited by Mutie Fan

On 9/13/2021 at 7:30 AM, Mutie Fan said:

I know what you mean. I bought a new scanner this year, and have been happy with it but have realized (100+ scans in :facepalm: ) that there are ways to noodle around with the settings/calibration to get the colors to be more vibrant and accurate. So I'm still finetuning as well. (The Top Notch 16 scan is from my office scanner, done years ago.)