• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

www.comics4kids.org

588 posts in this topic

So you posted the following link in Marketplace: Ebay sellers, etc..

Title: Spidey selling some tasties including Wolverine limited SS

http://www.ebay.com/sch/heidi.spidey/m.html?item=251106805485&_trksid=p4340.l2562&rt=nc&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

And I (like a dumas) click on it and the eighth auction I see has a picture of what: Larry Flynt and some Hustler girls! Are you freaking kidding me???

You "claim" to respresent an organization that cater's to children and strives to improve illiteracy within this country and that's the type of photo you place on your eBay auction? You want this community to associate your organization with Hustler?

I think there's something seriously wrong with you....

This.

If you legitimately can't see there's something wrong with associating Larry Flynt and Hustler girls in a listing for Micronauts comics in what is ultimately being linked to your fledgling children's charity, you really are beyond help.

Furthermore, that you allow so many grammatical and spelling errors and just a general overall lack of professionalism in these eBay listings you promote says a lot to would-be benefactors about the type of organization you're running.

So you posted the following link in Marketplace: Ebay sellers, etc..

Title: Spidey selling some tasties including Wolverine limited SS

http://www.ebay.com/sch/heidi.spidey/m.html?item=251106805485&_trksid=p4340.l2562&rt=nc&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

And I (like a dumas) click on it and the eighth auction I see has a picture of what: Larry Flynt and some Hustler girls! Are you freaking kidding me???

You "claim" to respresent an organization that cater's to children and strives to improve illiteracy within this country and that's the type of photo you place on your eBay auction? You want this community to associate your organization with Hustler?

I think there's something seriously wrong with you....

This.

If you legitimately can't see there's something wrong with associating Larry Flynt and Hustler girls in a listing for Micronauts comics in what is ultimately being linked to your fledgling children's charity, you really are beyond help.

Furthermore, that you allow so many grammatical and spelling errors and just a general overall lack of professionalism in these eBay listings you promote says a lot to would-be benefactors about the type of organization you're running.

but i like hustler :baiting:

There I understand Steve is pretty busy and may not have time for a response, so allow me to make it moot:

All actual sponsors and recipients appreciate Comics4Kids, Inc. and we appreciate them

we are giving away comics for free to improve literacy and encourage imagination. Want to help? Email me at comics4kids@aim.com, visit us in person at the store, or at shows. We will be giving away comics, grading comics and selling items of interest.

I like that response so feel free to cut and paste.

this_guy_seems_legit_lets_trust_him.jpg

For reasons not yet apparent to the community, this organization has chosen an individual as their public facing figure who is incapable of communicating past one of the worst communication blunders I've ever seen develop on these boards.

Communicating effectively in the social web means doing it in a manner that is interpreted as being both genuine and persuasive. On the latter, it is far too unpredictable how the message will be interpreted and received, and as such, it is understandable that a message can go sideways when one realizes the formation, exchange and assembling of a message can be a labor of alchemy rather than exact science.

Beyond this spectacle unraveling on these boards is the role of the board of directors. More specifically, that a good board ought to identify risks in its culture, public perception and effectiveness.

In the context of a non-profit organization using children's literacy as its platform to solicit donations, most important in the board's function ought to be zero tolerance for deviating from a culture of integrity.

On behalf of a community that has demonstrated support for numerous causes and charities, I would ask that the governance of this organization address the community of potential donors with the kind of assurances this situation requires.

But there's not really any board, right? It's just this one dude, making it up as he goes along.

If there's been any update to this, I haven't read about it here yet:

In all seriousness, this is disconcerting on so many levels. I can't put into words how disappointing it is to see and read about the lacksdaiscal attitude taken by this organizations spokespeople, and in addressing the questions or concerns raised by this community.

The organization lists Gemma as a director, I wonder if that's still accurate.

http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/search_detail.aspx?ubi=603201653

It'd be interesting to hear her thoughts on the subject.

Also I think Gemma is great. If she has any say at all the entire organization will be set up right, and the donations will be logged properly and will get to the right people they were meant to get to.

It actually made me happy to see her name there, she wouldn't let anything wrong happen if it were in her power to prevent it. I hope she has the power to prevent it.

Gemma will be at the Chicago Forum Dinner, so we can ask her in person (thumbs u

At this point, and given the direction and content of the public statements, as well as the complete lack of time, place, and location specific disclosures regarding donations and recipients I would make a sizable wager that Gemma's name being on as a director is the extent of her involvement.

I wouldn't be shocked if the first time she heard of being a director was right here in this thread.

It just feels like her name was put there to try and buy some legitimacy and trust. I could be wrong but given that the snarky posts and lack of disclosure is still the order of the day, I can't imagine this is an organization that Gemma has any direct control over.

Just my opinion.

I'd be very VERY VERY surprised if Gemma even knew her name was being used. VERY.

Seriously man, coming to CGC's site and claiming that their employees are on your board ... did you really think that would fly under the radar?

Well it's been a great 13 years with CGC...

"... I'm all out of bubblegum ."

Before you edited this post you wrote "last word".

I am curious as to what that same pic of your son holding 2 borrowed books that you yourself admitted were just walking by your booth and weren't yours and weren't donated had to do with anything being discussed here.

The quote is from roddy piper in "they live". The rest of that quote references that he came to chew bubblegum and kick . So whose are you implying you are going to kick?

Also I thought you only worked for cgc for a very short period of time (2 years or so) before you "ceased" to work for them.

I wonder how the word "with" is defined. Judging by what I'm seeing I have 35 years "with" Marvel Comics and I have 30 years "with" deep dish pizza.

If its just affiliation with cgc then I am on year 12 myself. lol

I am gonna count years I've known Steve and just make it an even 20.