• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else see "The Mist?" ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

23 posts in this topic

I'll speak in general terms, without any specifics spoilers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Felt like I was watching a horror film from the 80s, a time when you might get a little character development along with your splatter.

But what's with that ending? Would all of those characters abandon hope like that? Thematically, did the end add anything to the film? How did Darabont want us to walk away from that ending?

I guess I'm a little frustrated that an otherwise satisfying movie ended in such horrific dispair. I would have preferred a more open-ended finish, like John Carpenter's "The Thing", which, as I understand, is how Steven King's novella of "The Mist" does end.

Think I'll go play with my kid now.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Felt like I was watching a horror film from the 80s, a time when you might get a little character development along with your splatter.

But what's with that ending? Would all of those characters abandon hope like that? Thematically, did the end add anything to the film? How did Darabont want us to walk away from that ending?

I guess I'm a little frustrated that an otherwise satisfying movie ended in such horrific dispair. I would have preferred a more open-ended finish, like John Carpenter's "The Thing", which, as I understand, is how Steven King's novella of "The Mist" does end.

I hated it. I couldn't get past the movie-of-the-week acting, the sub-par special effects, and the usual "King"-ly tropes.

Well, I guess I hated it up until the end where I turned around and liked it all right. It was refreshing to see an ending like that (one that was totally unexpected, that is). You don't see many risks like that in mainstream cinema. Twists are good, closure is good.

Basically, I think we enjoyed the movie in the exact opposite order. lol

But is it enough that it was unexpected? Shouldn't it fit in thematically with the film? Would they all agree to give up like that? I kept waiting for at least one person to say "let's just stay in the car. Maybe the mist will pass."

But is it enough that it was unexpected? Shouldn't it fit in thematically with the film? Would they all agree to give up like that? I kept waiting for at least one person to say "let's just stay in the car. Maybe the mist will pass."

I thought it fit in just fine... See, to me, they were all imbeciles. Everything they did through the WHOLE MOVIE was stupid and shortsighted, so it fit right in line that the (last thing they would do) would be stupid and shortsighted as well.

I can see how if you were buying into the characters the ending would seem strange and out of place, but I just didn't. (shrug) Besides, it had a nice Twilight Zone feel to it, didn't it?

I thought the movie was great. The ending was completely unexpected and welcomed. You just don't see those kinds of endings anymore. I thought it fit and was plausable considering what they went through during the film...

Also can't say enough about the screenplay...it had the most honest dialogue I've seen in a movie in quite awhile...

Jim

That's how the book ends, essentially. Ambiguous.

Uh the characters werent the smartest people on the planet. They stay in the FRONT of a store that is GLASS and waste time trying to barracade glass instead of going into the warehouse or a storage room in the back where the ghastly monsters couldnt see them. Then instead of waiting till the last possible moment to kill them selves decide to do it without much thought. I thought it was so-so. 2 out of 4 stars

I thought the movie was great. The ending was completely unexpected and welcomed. You just don't see those kinds of endings anymore. I thought it fit and was plausable considering what they went through during the film...

Also can't say enough about the screenplay...it had the most honest dialogue I've seen in a movie in quite awhile...

Jim

I think the ending would have been better if they ran out of gas, the creatures started trying to get in the car, were getting into the car, so he gave up.

I think a father doesn't give up like that until there is imminent danger that his child will suffer.

Very little about this movie rang true to me.

I think a father doesn't give up like that until there is imminent danger that his child will suffer.

I think you nailed what bothered me. As a father, I can't imagine making the decision he made when he made it.

As a FATHER, man...that ending had me PI S S ed off.

Ugh.

That sucked.

Up till that point, it was great.

Twilight zone ending, sure...but depressing as all get out.

I've heard this alot from people who disliked the film. Does a movie have to have a happy tidy ending for it to be good? The Descent changed the ending for the US market to make it more upbeat but if you watch the original UK ending, the movie is more effective.

Have moviegoers become so accustomed to tidy endings that when they end badly (i.e. not happy), the movie is similarly dismissed as poor?

Jim

As a FATHER, man...that ending had me PI S S ed off.

Ugh.

That sucked.

Up till that point, it was great.

Twilight zone ending, sure...but depressing as all get out.

I've heard this alot from people who disliked the film. Does a movie have to have a happy tidy ending for it to be good? The Descent changed the ending for the US market to make it more upbeat but if you watch the original UK ending, the movie is more effective.

Have moviegoers become so accustomed to tidy endings that when they end badly (i.e. not happy), the movie is similarly dismissed as poor?

Jim

Speaking for myself, no.

I thought Million Dollar Baby was an exceptional movie. Certainly not the feel good ending of the year. Blow Out is one of my favorite DePalma movies.

I think the ending of the Mist is shocking for the purpose of being shocking.

I think it could have been written better, and might have saved the movie.

As it was.....average.

Jim

Well if Jim liked it I guess I need to go see it :grin:

I saw the film last week and up until the end, the story line was ok. That girl who was preaching the whole time about religion was just plain annoying and I'm glad that she got shot in the head.. Like everyone else, I was surprised about the ending and that pretty much brought the whole movie down IMHO. I've never seen a surprising ending like that!?! Very shocking and quite disturbing if you ask me. I thought that he was actually gonna face some creatures to his death, but I guess I was wrong.. I gave it a 2 out of 5 stars.

Yep, saw it Friday night. Kind of feel the same way you do.

I saw the ending comming and whispered to my friend what was probably going to happen...I just couldn't believe they were really going to do that. doh! But they did! I imagine that ending won't endear many moviegoers to this movie.

I feel like I could critically rip the movie apart, but it did keep me engaged to a degree and I tried taking it for what it was. The CGI looked to be done on the cheap (like Sci-Fi channel budget - oh, those CGI tentacles were bad).

It felt to me that the director was more trying to tell a story about the breakdown of human morals and chaos/irrational thinking that follows an event that rips all our laws and order away. The ending was just another exclamation point to that IMO.

Speaking of the Thing, did you catch the homage at the beginning?