• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2022 at 1:38 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It was only about 2 years after the "no-code-stamp" ASM's were published that I picked them up at an LCS.  It was still something collectors talked about with some respect and reverence and was thought of as having been a real "risk" for Marvel to some of the store owners.

ASM - 95 - 1.jpg

ASM - 96.jpg

ASM - 97 - 1.jpg

ASM - 98.jpg

ASM - 99 - 1.jpg

Awesome! I didn't realize that #95 and #99 were apart of that no comics code run? I thought it was only #96 97 and 98.... 

Nice copies :) 

On 6/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

I wanted to see an issue 100 here, I miss that one in pictures, so I had to find my last copy(sold the rest). I had about four of these with a printing defect, a small cover pinched area that made a line where the paper was raised from squeezing the paper into that location, often with browning next to it. I saw that on the rear covers of many #100's over the years when hunting for a perfect one, back in the 70's and 80's.

ASM 100 9.8 OWW.jpg

Wow. That is a beautiful copy! Thanks for sharing.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:24 PM, pickycollector said:

Not mine anymore but I had a full run of MTU, they now sit in a good new home, here are scans for #1-50 that I keep as a souvenir

Marvel Team-Up 1.jpg

Beautiful books.  I have all the pics of my ASM run that I have sold as well.

MTU was a great series to collect, because it wasn't as far along as ASM, so you could complete the run with a little less effort (and $$$).

The stories were very hit or miss IMHO, but the concept of a dedicated team-up each month resonated with me very well.

Love the cover to MTU 12.  That MTU 13 was a little gritty as compared to other Spidey stories of the time, of course this issue coming right after the death of the Gorgeous Gwen Stacy.

`

These were the first "back issues" I bought in the summer of 1973 after I discovered there was such a thing as an LCS.  "Old Weird Harold's" was the store name and it was a bit over an hour's bus ride - including one transfer - from my house to the "other side of town."  At the time, these books were 3/$1 - so a premium over cover price, but a heck of a bargain in hindsight.  The books were stacked vertically in cardboard boxes on shelves in the back room of the store.  No bags, no boards - explains the condition of most of what I bought in those days.

ASM - 115 - 1.jpg

ASM - 116.jpg

ASM - 117.jpg

ASM - 118.jpg

ASM - 119.jpg