• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 7:15 PM, MR SigS said:

iU20REMh.jpgFTNbrfbh.jpggstR40sh.jpg

Ditto, that was the last copy I got in Germany from the PX there. So they all had the jeweler's insert, and I might still have several of those. I was hard on comics back then, just a kid that discovered them a couple of years before. One of my aunts gave me an Overstreet Price Guide a year later, and I learned to appreciate comics then. Plus I collected the Overstreets too. Those should be interesting to sell.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Great books everyone!  :banana:

These books were the jumping on point of my 33 year ASM collecting run.  That ASM 148 is one of my favorite covers, probably driven by the blue background.

It really is a beautiful cover.  I need an upgrade there.

ASM - 148.jpg

If you are looking at completing or upgrading a run from #130 - #200, now is the time to lock them in. Prices are starting to run on a few issues, and move up on most across the board. I have noticed a lot of people asking for them at shows this spring.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:25 PM, MattTheDuck said:

A few pick-ups at an Estate Sale this morning.  My original #130 lost its MVS somewhere, so I'm real happy to have found this one.

ASM - 161 - 2.jpg

I always thought that ASM 161-162 were the acme of Mr. Andru's run on the Amazing Spider-Man.  Maybe because it was these were two of the earliest issues I picked off the stands as a child, or maybe the art and story really resonated with me.  The earlier stuff was good for sure, but the latter stuff left me unsatisfied (like ASM 185),  but these couple of issues were it.

As noted elsewhere, I started buying back issues of comics at LCS's after discovering they existed.  This was approximately Summer of 1973.  It's hard to remember lots of details, but I'm pretty sure the first issue I bought off the rack in those days was ASM #122 (which I still have).  I had a few books I had picked up earlier (ASM #62/FF #73).  I worked backwards from where I started, not really understanding or caring about grades and the first LCS I ever visited was charging $1 for 3 books - so I was paying 33 cents for a comic that had cost 20 cents months before.  Eventually I worked back so that I had all the ASM issues from the Bronze Age - #80 up into the #150s before I stopped collecting the first time (and of course most of the Silver Age issues, but nothing before #33).  In the past year, I've been buying upgrades and filling in any "holes" in my ASM run - I still need all the "expensive ones" :).  Here are my original copies.

ASM - 80 - 1.jpg

ASM - 81.jpg

ASM - 82.jpg

ASM - 83.jpg

ASM - 84.jpg

Edited by MattTheDuck

my collecting as a kid ended in ‘69, so my adult [kinda] collecting never really delved into bronze, except very rarely.   now, tho’, i’m really having fun with the spidey registry set, and it goes thru 100.  tho’ i’ve always cut the run off at #79 [12/69, my s.a. endpoint],  i’m now having a ball going after 80-100.   so far, here i am…

image.jpeg.d1dc1b233d467fe1267a3081b445840d.jpeg

Edited by Straw-Man