• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
13 13

1,674 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2022 at 5:59 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I was so thrilled with the release of this new title, I bought the #1...and then didn't buy another issue for almost 15 years

SS-M - 1 - 1.jpg

I loved that another Spider-Man title was launched and purchased every issue until at least 100.  I even remember buying a 35 cent variant off the stands and was so confused when the price came back down on the next issue.  Sal Buscema was a lot better artist than I gave him credit for back in the day.

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 6/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Beautiful books Matt.

I got all these issues through mail order, having purchased issues 145, 148, and 153 off the rack, and then starting my run via mail order.

Thanks - they all have their problems due to being subscription copies, but I love them anyway!  

Do you mean your books are subscription, or mail order?  I never did order anything by mail order and now wish I had :)

On 6/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Thanks - they all have their problems due to being subscription copies, but I love them anyway!  

Do you mean your books are subscription, or mail order?  I never did order anything by mail order and now wish I had :)

My ASM subscription didn't start until around issue 190 or so.

I completed most of my ASM run via mail order.  I loved it.  Of course condition wasn't king, so grading wasn't important, especially to an 11 year old kid.  I would beg my Mom to take me to get a postal money order or ask my older brother to write me a check, so I could order more and more issues.

I can still taste the anticipation of waiting for those books to arrive.  It was like Christmas, opening the mail box and seeing that package.  

On 6/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, MattTheDuck said:

ASM - 150 - 1.jpg

ASM - 151.jpg

ASM - 152 - 1.jpg

ASM - 153.jpg

ASM - 154.jpg

These issues were my jumping on point to a 33-year plus Spider-Man run.  My brother bought two copies of ASM 150, because he knew it was going to be a collector's item, lol.  ASM 153 was the first issue that I bought off the stands and ASM 154 with the sandman will always be fondly remembered.