• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Too much personal information
1 1

160 posts in this topic

Just found out yesterday my cousin carries a concealed (permitted) gun every time he takes his family to the mall...At least he didn't feel it was necessary to wear it yesterday's family Christmas gathering!

I would have shot you.

Just found out yesterday my cousin carries a concealed (permitted) gun every time he takes his family to the mall...At least he didn't feel it was necessary to wear it yesterday's family Christmas gathering!

I would have shot you.

I would have dressed you up as the Gimp and chained you in the basement.

I would have shot you.

I believe your restraining order keeps you a safe distance from my family gatherings. I really don't want to have to tell you one more that we are not actually brothers separated at birth. doh!

]I would have dressed you up as the Gimp and chained you in the basement.

Don't you ever get bored of doing that (shrug)

I'm the one who usually wears the outfit you silly wabbit

]I would have dressed you up as the Gimp and chained you in the basement.

Don't you ever get bored of doing that (shrug)

I'm the one who usually wears the outfit you silly wabbit

warm leather :cloud9: ... or is that " Too much personal information" hm

Posting here is similar to posting to your myspace page or any other public site. Remember employers are actively doing internet searches to "Dig up the dirt" on potential hires; so what you say online does not go unnoticed.

"Big Brother is always watching"

That said I haven't seen anything revolting posted here that would really mean much to anyone else. I'm here for the comics, not the arrogant attitudes or dirt.

I just personally think it's funny that people still think they have private information. I mean outside little bedroom secrets or the pack of gum you might've taken from the five-and-dime as a kid... that's really it. Doesn't matter whether you post it here or not. Heck, even posting a divorce-- that's public domain once papers are filed. It's not like griping about it here is even half as bad as apeparing on "Divorce Court". And unless you're a recluse-- people see you and your family near every day. Not any worse posting the pic here. I mean, I guess guard your address and CC info, obviously. But even that is out there for the taking.

I see where you're coming from on this. But I can't recall having seen anything posted on the forums that was a "dangerous" post to make.

Well, I posted some new family photos in the "So what do you look like" thread....

I dont think posting some pics was wrong. I posted a pic of me and my fiance on here last week and dont regret doing so. I'm not going to go as far as giving out my address or anything like that on here but the sad truth is that if someone really wants to find you, they will. So welcome to the information super highway that can easily lead someone right to your door.

I just personally think it's funny that people still think they have private information. I mean outside little bedroom secrets or the pack of gum you might've taken from the five-and-dime as a kid... that's really it. Doesn't matter whether you post it here or not. Heck, even posting a divorce-- that's public domain once papers are filed. It's not like griping about it here is even half as bad as apeparing on "Divorce Court". And unless you're a recluse-- people see you and your family near every day. Not any worse posting the pic here. I mean, I guess guard your address and CC info, obviously. But even that is out there for the taking.

I see where you're coming from on this. But I can't recall having seen anything posted on the forums that was a "dangerous" post to make.

Thanks for saving me the time of having to type that response. (thumbs u

I understand this take and I'm not trying to be all tin-foil hat wearing either, but there's a difference. When you go to the mall, how many people see you? They only see you at that moment, not a week later or a year later. Of course, they're plenty of public information available to people willing to work at it.

When I made this post, I was thinking of two things specifically: pics of your kids and personal stories. Plenty of pics of people's kids. If they're ok with that, more power to 'em. I personally am the type to not sign the blanket permission slip at my kids' school allowing the local paper of TV station to come in and photo/video them wholesale.

As for personal confessions/embarassing stories, I can recall several since I've been here where I just shake my head. Kind of like the story of the southern revival. One woman stands up and shouts out loud that she cheats on her taxes. The preachers thanks her for sharing her story. Another man gets up and shouts that he drinks alcohol. The preacher thanks him for sharing his confession. Another man stands up and proclaims that he has relations with farm animals. All the music stops and everyone turns to the man. The preacher raises the microphone and says, "Brother. I don't believe I would've shared that information."

I would encourage people to remember that posting here is not quiet nor confidential. It's akin to opening your window of a downtown apartment and screaming your information to the throngs of people below. Only magnify that by 10x. I can not fathom revealing some of the most intimate of details that people talk about here all the time.

I understand the gist of your post and agree to some extent, but I think your analogy quoted above is greatly exaggerated. Remember this is NOT eBay or CNN.com...it's an obscure message board that serves a very tiny niche community. I'd say a better analogy (as opposed to screaming your personal info. out your window magnified 10x) would be perhaps whispering your personal info. out your window during a heavy rainstorm. I'm all about safety and security, but it wouldn't bother me at all to post a picture of my kids here.

I totally respect your concern and warning, but it's not like people are posting their ATM codes or pictures of their family in suggestive poses with addresses and phone numbers! (shrug)

I totally respect your concern and warning, but it's not like people are posting their ATM codes or pictures of their family in suggestive poses with addresses and phone numbers! (shrug)

Greggy's Grandma? :o

rantrant

I would encourage people to remember that posting here is not quiet nor confidential. It's akin to opening your window of a downtown apartment and screaming your information to the throngs of people below. Only magnify that by 10x. I can not fathom revealing some of the most intimate of details that people talk about here all the time.

I understand the gist of your post and agree to some extent, but I think your analogy quoted above is greatly exaggerated. Remember this is NOT eBay or CNN.com...it's an obscure message board that serves a very tiny niche community. I'd say a better analogy (as opposed to screaming your personal info. out your window magnified 10x) would be perhaps whispering your personal info. out your window during a heavy rainstorm. I'm all about safety and security, but it wouldn't bother me at all to post a picture of my kids here.

good points on all...

some folks "need" the boards compassion, etc, so they post personal items...better for them ,and if it benefits them, fantastic..

my family accompanies me to conventions, etc...so, there to, I have no problem posting a picture of my son with a comic.... if folks want to know what you or me look like, easily enough found out...and comics are insured, etc, so I have zero fear of posting them...I like to share with those out there...

for me, it is a glass half full versus a glass half empty approach, but I support each person/members right to choose what is best for them

rick