• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,254 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2023 at 8:04 PM, Azkaban said:

Here's some I came across that might end up in my sale

img863.thumb.jpg.236d49cc371d643a9c85181651914912.jpg

img865.thumb.jpg.ccd0d63ef6aaa30ebd339da91190670d.jpg

img867.thumb.jpg.88ba1b94e9df3367ad6e6e243ce3b075.jpg

img869.thumb.jpg.62e8491e6c107aa174d695c1e882f23a.jpg

img871.thumb.jpg.e3d98a12fbaa668c76281fccadcf8c18.jpg

img873.thumb.jpg.1361cd757c437ec08be6d62888d97c1f.jpg

img875.thumb.jpg.2d806b223275e88b7aacdecd3cacae58.jpg

img877.thumb.jpg.53e9051718744ef93e788d71f19691ab.jpg

Ok, that ghost thing pouring the champagne is awesome.  What is he doing, trying to get her in the mood? 

But the winner of this bunch is the robot reading the catalogs!  What is he looking for?  Spare parts?  How did he get them delivered to the moon, or a moon?  Does Sears deliver there too?   And what is he digging?  It looks like he's on a break, who does he work for?  SOOOO many questions!?!?!  LOVE IT!!!

On 1/11/2008 at 12:34 AM, Primetime said:

Nice Pulps Paul! Great Covers. I don't own any pulps, but this is the closest I have. I've always thought Schomburg drew this 2nd Torch cover in a very "Pulp" like fashion (thumbs u

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t195/benjam_labonog/BIGScan-MarvelMystery5CGC2.jpg

My favorite is a nice looking 2.0 ‼️‼️Like this one✔️👍

On 3/10/2023 at 5:18 PM, OtherEric said:

Nice!  I understand if you don't want to answer, but what did the coverless copy run you?

120.  Felt a bit high for a coverless, but I figure of a cover ecer shows up I could likely get it for under 200, which means the while copy is still in my price range 😀 

On 3/10/2023 at 5:28 PM, waaaghboss said:

120.  Felt a bit high for a coverless, but I figure of a cover ecer shows up I could likely get it for under 200, which means the while copy is still in my price range 😀 

I probably would have grabbed it at that price if I didn't already have my copy.  I don't see that one going down any time soon, and it looks like a complete copy is going to run four figures minimum these days.

On 3/10/2023 at 5:30 PM, OtherEric said:

I probably would have grabbed it at that price if I didn't already have my copy.  I don't see that one going down any time soon, and it looks like a complete copy is going to run four figures minimum these days.

Yah complete copies are beyond my budget now.  I usually avoid coverless but I figutr this book has more going for it than just the cover 🤔 

On 3/10/2023 at 5:43 PM, waaaghboss said:

Yah complete copies are beyond my budget now.  I usually avoid coverless but I figutr this book has more going for it than just the cover 🤔 

Somewhere I read an article where Issac Asimov described it as being one of the three times where Science Fiction straightforwardly just changed, the writer having had such an enormous impact on the field that you could just look at everything being either before or after they appeared.  Everything that followed was in some way reacting to it.  (The other two were Stanley Weinbaum and Robert Heinlein.)  And he's talking about Doc Smith's Skylark of Space, not Buck Rogers.  I don't think anybody can dispute the impact Buck Rogers had on Science Fiction, or at least the way the public sees it.  This is the pulp equivalent of More Fun #73, where you can argue which of the two stories is actually more important... but there's no denying both of them are absolutely key in their own right.  My answer is Skylark was more important among creators and Buck Rogers was more important among the public.

On 3/10/2023 at 5:53 PM, OtherEric said:

Somewhere I read an article where Issac Asimov described it as being one of the three times where Science Fiction straightforwardly just changed, the writer having had such an enormous impact on the field that you could just look at everything being either before or after they appeared.  Everything that followed was in some way reacting to it.  (The other two were Stanley Weinbaum and Robert Heinlein.)  And he's talking about Doc Smith's Skylark of Space, not Buck Rogers.  I don't think anybody can dispute the impact Buck Rogers had on Science Fiction, or at least the way the public sees it.  This is the pulp equivalent of More Fun #73, where you can argue which of the two stories is actually more important... but there's no denying both of them are absolutely key in their own right.  My answer is Skylark was more important among creators and Buck Rogers was more important among the public.

Very interesting stuff.  I'll have to read both stories, now I'm actually looking forward to the Skylark just as much as Rogers.  And I named my dog after Buck rogers lol

20230306_133620.thumb.jpg.df4106fbe42d4c257f7d84573b707d43.jpg