• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

Marvel Stories Nov 1940, on the stands with Marvel Mystery #13 (among others, I don't have the info on hand). When previously discussed, I'm not sure if any notice was given to which artists are responsible for this issues interior artwork. It IS listed in the table of contents! That would be (to my knowledge) their only known Golden Age rendering of the Human Torch, if they in fact were responsible for the ad! Interestingly as well, I saw only one other ad for Marvel Mystery in this issue and it is a small one.

Marvel Stories cover.jpg

Marvel Stories table of contents.jpg

Marvel Stories full page Human Torch comic ad.jpg

Marvel Stories house ad.jpg

On 7/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, Robot Man said:

My wife found that for me.

We were at a flea market and as always, she was way in front of me. As I walked up the isle she was waving it at me. Couldn’t believe my eyes. She had no idea what it was but knows what I like.

It was just laying on the table all by it’s self. I quickly paid his full asking price and walked away on air. She’s a keeper! 

Hah, you should hang on to her! I got mine through a somewhat lucky break. Was scrolling thru some of my "saved search" results on eBay one night, and saw it had only been listed for auction, with a low starting bid, less than an hour. BUT it also had a "make offer" option (I'll never understand why you'd do that if you're auctioning something, but whatever). Anyway, I made an offer, and to my astonishment it was auto-accepted and payment went thru immediately. Moral of the story: always make an offer!

On 7/25/2023 at 2:37 AM, Primetime said:

Continuing my young journey into pulps with my favorite Timely artist, Alex Schomburg. 

Startling Stories (Sept., 1939) - 1st Schomburg Sci-Fi pulp cover 🚀 Pretty corny, cool image of 13, big headed aliens 👽 robbing a graveyard 🪦 There was a cash prize contest asking fans to send in letters explaining the cover (note: the deadline date of Sept 7, 1939 - that would have been the same time period that the NOV printing of Marvel Comics 1 was being printed/released and just after the OCT copies had sold out.)

Here’s a photo of the Startling next to Schomburg’s 1st cover work for Timely - Daring Mystery Comics 1 - which was released a few short months after in late October, 1939. 

IMG_3967.jpeg

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

Would you believe ... GRAVE ROBBERS FROM OUTER SPACE?

criswell-2305125837.jpeg

I was wondering about the mature look. Maybe the artist considered it was 12 years since his first appearance in 1912 so he drew him older. I can't find any other cover like that. They went back to a youthful Tarzan a couple years later in The Blue Book series. This came today. Not a pulp but a cool Paul cover. July 1932. 

pulp science and mechanics july 1932.jpg