• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2023 at 6:10 PM, Primetime said:

This one arrived today. It appears to be tied for the third pulp ever that Martin Goodman published. His name is in the indicia which is a nice bonus.

😈 💎 Black Book Detective Magazine (Mutual Magazines/Newsstand Publications- July, 1933)

Rafael DeSoto cover. 

IMG_4542.jpeg

Goodman and his partner, Louis Silberkleit, had just lost their circulation dept positions at Eastern Distribution Corporation due to bankruptcy in 1932. They manned together to start up Mutual Magazines/Newsstand Publications in 1933. They had started with four pulp titles and Black Book Detective was their second title. Louis (L in MLJ) would eventually be the third co-owner of MLJ Comics (Archie) and Goodman would start Timely/Marvel in 1939.

Harry Donenfeld was a co founder of Eastern prior to its bankruptcy and would also start  Independent News shortly after. IND News would be a major distributor for DC comics well into the Silver Age. Goodman enlisted IND to distribute Marvel Comics (SA Marvel covers have an IND printed on them).

At one point, Goodman, Louis, and Donenfeld would briefly share the same Lower Manhattan office building as pulp publishers. Donenfeld would later purchase the rights to National/DC in 1938 from Wheeler-Nichols for $19.7k.

I never knew Donenfield and Goodman worked for the same company prior to 1932. The comics business was a smaller world than I'd imagined.

Edited by Sarg
typo

DaringDetectivev07n41(1938-02.CountryPress)cover.thumb.jpg.3a5ff9a65ce7f64d4d4e6c7c81d849eb.jpg

Daring Detective v07n41 (1938-02.Country Press) cover Stockton Mulford

Hello!  I'm new to the CGC boards but thought I'd hop in here on the pulp thread and go off that last red-covered true crime mag.  Fawcett publication, February 1938.

Edited by Darwination