• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,116 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2023 at 11:28 PM, detective35 said:

Great Shadow cover!

Thanks 😊 This is my first one. I looked through all of them and that one plus the December 1939 spotlight cover grabbed me the most. I will post that one when I get it in hand. 

On 7/9/2023 at 6:08 PM, Grottu said:

Just got this rare beauty in hand (1st app. of Buck Rogers, Aug. 1928). Still can’t believe I managed to land it. Always wanted this one, and recently got lucky while trolling eBay…

IMG_5952.jpeg

Congratulations!  I personally don't think the book is that rare, relatively speaking, particularly compared to other pulps of that age.  But that really doesn't matter in terms of its importance and value. I've described it as the Amazing Fantasy #15 of pulps in that regard.

I wonder if we should start an Amazing Stories 1928 club thread on the forums...

On 7/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Picked up this Illing Wonder Stories at an Estate Sale last Friday on the way out of town. Pretty trashed.  The owner (this was billed as an "Estate Sale" but it was one of those "before I go" kind) told me he used to have 12,000 comics/pulps and had opened the first comic store in Iowa in the 70s. Naturally, I missed 11,994 of those books.  He also had what looked like a pretty nice early Superman (I think it was in the low 40s), but he was asking more than the total cash I brought so I had to take a pass.

Thrilling Wonder Stories.jpg

Some very good reading in that one.  It's not even mentioned on the cover, but it has "Usher II" by Ray Bradbury from The Martian Chronicles as well as the cover stories.  And if it's the one I'm thinking of, "Journey for Seven" is interesting, it reads like a superhero origin story plot but that's not even remotely the story MacDonald is trying to tell.