• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,119 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Planet 65 has priced itself out of my reach …. this, however, has not. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN9846 (2).JPG

I think several of the Anderson space babe pulp covers are swipes or semi-swipes of the comics . At least the poses.:headbang:

4 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I think several of the Anderson space babe pulp covers are swipes or semi-swipes of the comics . At least the poses.:headbang:

I think a lot of the Fiction House pulps and comics swiped from each other; I would love to see somebody more informed tracking those at some point. The swipes went both ways, I suspect.

4 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I love 'em ! I found several while scouring the web … I can only afford so many at one time, though. I'm getting my gumption up to pick up the Weird Tales issue with possibly my favorite Lovecraft tale, if such a thing can even be. That one will be almost 300 dollars. GOD BLESS....

There's a couple of dealers around here who carry them, and also I found some in this cool book store in colonial Williamsburg called "The Mermaid's Tale" …. it's one of those neat basement shops were you go  down some stairs on the side of a building... chock full of coolness. We had another spot called Hamilton's Rare Books that sadly closed up and has only an eBay presence now … that guy had manuscripts, documents, advertising material, and the rare books. He had some fantastic NC Wyeth material. I even bought several boxes of comics from him over the years, but wasn't seeking pulps then. He even had an original Pogo strip once, that I stupidly decided to "sleep on it". GOD BLESS...

MERMAID BOOKS.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

26 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I love 'em ! I found several while scouring the web … I can only afford so many at one time, though. I'm getting my gumption up to pick up the Weird Tales issue with possibly my favorite Lovecraft tale, if such a thing can even be. That one will be almost 300 dollars. GOD BLESS....

Which one is that, if I might ask?

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

Which one is that, if I might ask?

I'll post it here when I get it, but I'll PM you if you'd like. I don't want to jinx myself lol ... hard to really have a favorite Lovecraft story... I probably have at least five. GOD BLESS....

19 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I'll post it here when I get it, but I'll PM you if you'd like. I don't want to jinx myself lol ... hard to really have a favorite Lovecraft story... I probably have at least five. GOD BLESS....

I respect your position on not jinxing yourself, so I can wait.  I was lucky, my very first Lovecraft pulp had my favorite of his stories... The Shadow Out of Time.

Getting back to your earlier comment on the affordability of pulps relative to comics, it really is amazing.  There is no way I would be able to get anywhere close to the number of notable pulps I have in comics.  Last time I counted I had over 50 pulps with Lovecraft... which includes revisions, poetry, reprints, reprints of poetry, to be fair... but also has at least half a dozen first appearances of what I would call major stories.

9 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

My first Spicy, courtesy of local boardie (nice pages, and at a great price too). :cloud9:

2A5A7D26-1538-4F81-A693-768B36DB504C.jpeg

Nice!  I've got that one too.  Welcome to the Spicy club!  Your membership card is in the mail.  :wink:

That cover's a Parkhurst, who created some of my favorite Spicy covers but doesn't garner the same attention Ward does.  Underrated, IMHO. 

And of course Lew Merrill is actually pulp heavy-weight Victor Rousseau in disguise!