• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,116 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, sagii said:

I'm on the board! :banana:

Mailman just dropped this off. Was part of the collection HA is auctioning off still as of now. What a cover image :cloud9:

...and so it begins (:

20200507_164729.jpg

20200507_164840.jpg

One of us!  One of us!  :banana:

1 minute ago, sagii said:

Thanks guys 

@Robot Man will do.

New to 'handling' these. Any suggestions for how to when reading? Lay flat, or hold in hands (carefully) and thumb through ?

I hold them in my hands and handle carefully.  Make sure your hands are clean and dry.  Don't use gloves, you need to be able to feel the pages to turn them.

I don't lay them flat because I don't want to put too much stress on the spine.  When holding them, I try not to open them too far, depending on how flexible it feels.  Usually about a 120 degree angle is good.

39 minutes ago, RedFury said:

I hold them in my hands and handle carefully.  Make sure your hands are clean and dry.  Don't use gloves, you need to be able to feel the pages to turn them.

I don't lay them flat because I don't want to put too much stress on the spine.  When holding them, I try not to open them too far, depending on how flexible it feels.  Usually about a 120 degree angle is good.

Perfect advice. Exactly what I do. I am mostly a “cover” guy but have read all my Spiders and a good majority of my horror ones. I do a page count, look at interior art and ads on all them at least. Just buy copies with supple pages. They don’t have to be white but never dark tan or brown. Be careful of the spines especially when you open the first few pages. 

4 hours ago, RedFury said:

Good points, but I might add that wearing a glove on one hand to hold the spine would be good.  My pulps are pretty thick, so it takes me a while to get through one.  As the excitement builds, I don't want my sweaty hands ruining the spine.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Good points, but I might add that wearing a glove on one hand to hold the spine 

My wife looks at me funny when I read wearing one glove.

Edited by KirbyJack

45 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I use a folded Mylar sleeve, you can hold the spine in your hand and flip through easily without your sweaty little palm laying a glove on that cover, or lay it on a surface to read - same concept as a book jacket.20200508_180405.thumb.jpg.b84140d489305c8716740c42d3a50a41.jpg20200508_180705.thumb.jpg.2081b1628047583524af933cfdd26966.jpg

"Pandamic" Style...:roflmao:

24 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Here are a few more Spiders to get sagii hooked...:devil:

pulpspider1.jpg

pulpspider3:34.jpg

Those are SICK, RM! 

Just about all of the covers of the series i have seen are knockouts. 

...and i do have my eye on one (or two) coming up to auction soon :whistle:

57 minutes ago, sagii said:

Those are SICK, RM! 

Just about all of the covers of the series i have seen are knockouts. 

...and i do have my eye on one (or two) coming up to auction soon :whistle:

Some of the Spider pulp covers compete with Horror Stories, Terror Tales, Thrilling Mystery and some of the other titles known for gory/sadistic covers, though the women tend to have a little more clothing on.