• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, Pulpvault said:
Prize Air Pilot Stories was a short-lived pulp, running three issues from November 1929 through March 1930, before being renamed Fighting Air Pilot Stories for one issue dated June 1930. I'd seen the last three issues before, but had never spotted the first issue.

At last weekend's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, I managed to find (and buy) the first issue. It turns out it's a small (roughly 4.25" x 6.5"), 8 page ashcan. It contains one story, "Lost War-Birds" by Edmund Ingersoll Leeds, Jr.

Prize Air Pilot Stories 1929 11.jpg

Lindbergh was so famous they didn't even need to put his name on the cover.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:00 PM, waaaghboss said:

20220518_155828.thumb.jpg.065bbfb34ff5d5814566bb3113a394e8.jpg

A $2 book for a dime?  Now that's a deal!

That's an unusual cover. The dame is torturing a dude, while her accomplice is ready with the gun to stop the unseen person breaking through the skylight, who would appear to be the rescuing hero, if there is one.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:05 PM, rjpb said:

That's an unusual cover. The dame is torturing a dude, while her accomplice is ready with the gun to stop the unseen person breaking through the skylight, who would appear to be the rescuing hero, if there is one.

Haven't read it yet, but my guess is she's helping remove a bullet from our brave hero, and he had them secure him to the table so she could perform the operation :)

Or he swallowed her house key on a dare and she isn't about to miss tonight's episode of Ozzie and Harriet.

On 5/28/2022 at 4:42 PM, OtherEric said:

And the bigger books:  an issue of FSF with a Cornell Woolrich story to go with the Fantastic I got yesterday, and the first issue of Fantastic.

Fantastic 1952 07.jpg

This first issue of Fantastic with a cover by Barye Phillips is one of the most under appreciated books, IMO.  (thumbsu

Edited by Randall Dowling
missing "t"