• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,137 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, eccomic said:

Exciting new acquisition entitled "Marijuana Murder. Extremely rare digest size pulp published by Superior publications in Toronto circa 1945 during the war exchange conservation act when comics and pops redeem to be nonessential items and banned from being published in Canada

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

Great find of a tough drug digest! You should post it in the paperback thread too since it's really a book and would be a welcome addition there!

On 4/3/2022 at 3:33 PM, Robot Man said:

Fun flea market morning. Seven full boxes of vintage pulps. Cheap. I only bought about half of them. Hard to find “in the wild” anymore…

173AD080-2E6B-4818-AE03-65A78FB8856F.jpeg

Great haul even just half of those👍‼️👏🥰

On 4/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, eccomic said:

Exciting new acquisition entitled "Marijuana Murder. Extremely rare digest size pulp published by Superior publications in Toronto circa 1945 during the war exchange conservation act when comics and pops redeem to be nonessential items and banned from being published in Canada

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

As far as covers go this is up there with Action #1 lol  great cover never even heard or seen before

On 4/6/2022 at 9:13 AM, FoggyNelson said:

As far as covers go this is up there with Action #1 lol  great cover never even heard or seen before

"Almost" agree lol!  Not quite Action #1 but this cover is very famous to vintage paperback collectors (thumbsu A rare Canadian drug imprint 

Speaking of the equivalent of Action #1 in pulps, it would be interesting to hear from fellow collectors what they consider to be the grail of pulps or perhaps more likely the grail in their collection. Seems that the iconic early characters in pulps didn't carry forward with the kind of following that Superman instigated. The Shadow's first app was in the April 1931 issue of Shadow Magazine. For Doc Savage it was the March 1933 edition of Doc Savage Magazine. Third on my off the top of my head list is the Lone Ranger. His first app predictably enough was in Lone Ranger #1 (April 1937). 

Not my copy.

image.jpeg.a247d74e1fbfbc96ac4502b4aede7492.jpeg

On 4/9/2022 at 1:23 PM, OtherEric said:

My personal acquired grail.  To this day I can't quite believe I actually own a copy.

I've been known to suggest this is more the Amazing Fantasy #15 of pulps rather than the Action #1... it's quite a bit more common compared to most of the major pulps, but still super high demand.

Amazing_Stories_1928_August.jpg

Great looking copy of Amazing stories. (thumbsu  I checked the isfdb site and could not locate this issue. What was the year of publication?

On 4/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, OtherEric said:

My personal acquired grail.  To this day I can't quite believe I actually own a copy.

I've been known to suggest this is more the Amazing Fantasy #15 of pulps rather than the Action #1... it's quite a bit more common compared to most of the major pulps, but still super high demand.

That is awesome

On 4/9/2022 at 1:23 PM, OtherEric said:

I checked to see about the availability of this issue and was astounded to see the price of this book. Found one on the Abe site for $3,250. There is also one for sale on Ebay, where the seller is asking even more.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&cm_sp=SearchF-_-Advs-_-Result&ds=30&kn=august&recentlyadded=all&rollup=on&sortby=2&sts=t&tn=amazing stories&xdesc=off&xpod=off&yrh=1928&yrl=1928

For those looking to acquire complete sets of the classic SF pulps, Famous Fantastic Mysteries and Fantastic Novels, in one fell swoop, look no further than the Saturday night (May 7, 2022) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center).  Lot 128.1 will be a complete set of all 81 issues of FFM, while Lot 128.2 will be a complete set of all 25 issues of Fantastic Novels.

sn0128-1.jpg

sn0128-2.jpg

On 4/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, OtherEric said:

You got in the elevator door just before someone hit the :Rocket:button 👍