• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,138 posts in this topic

Ah, that's a new one to me!  According to dimenovels.org it refers to the fact that they were published to be sold at railway stations or on board trains.

The magazine's been dying a slow death for a good while now, but one of the last vestiges of the well-stocked newsstand remains the airport. 

Of course, I put a beater pulp or two in my travel bag (and my phone is loaded with pulp).  You get funny looks when you pull out a crumbling and hopefully not too smelly pulp western for the plane ride :yeehaw:

Edited by Darwination

Woo!  Gorgeous books.

Can you tell any rhyme or reason with the A/B/C/D markings in the first letter?  It looks like he mainly collected detective and hero titles?

I've done more research about the Strassers than anyone and neither myself, Todd Warren or anyone else I've been able to figure that out (A,B,C & D codes).  
Almost all the titles were there from the beginning beginning of 1934 to 1941, except for the weird tales Brundage covers horror stories, terror tales, spicy titles, and a few others.l

On 3/26/2024 at 8:52 AM, waaaghboss said:

After many vendor and antique malls searched, I actually found one with a few pulps! Middle of no where idaho.   30% off too 😆 

20240326_084751.thumb.jpg.f76478bbd60a419ff60550197a243d28.jpg

Everything is the middle of nowhere in Idaho! And it's one more than I've ever found here.

Edited by johnenock

On 3/26/2024 at 9:04 AM, johnenock said:

Everything is the middle of nowhere in Idaho! And it's one more than I've ever found here.

It is pretty sparse, you'd think a town the size of boise would have at least 1 good book store  😞 Found this in Idaho falls, had to duel with a train just to get out of the parking lot.  Pretty sure I saw a polar bear rummaging through the trash!

People in Idaho who read are few and far between. Only a couple used bookstores in the Boise area. We do have 3 comics shops, though mostly just new stuff. One old comic shop but I have picked a lot of that clean over the years.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:34 PM, Darwination said:

Woo!  Gorgeous books.

Can you tell any rhyme or reason with the A/B/C/D markings in the first letter?  It looks like he mainly collected detective and hero titles?

With the hundreds of hours of research done, I still have not been able to figure this out.  There is no evidence !

On 3/26/2024 at 9:14 AM, waaaghboss said:

It is pretty sparse, you'd think a town the size of boise would have at least 1 good book store  😞 Found this in Idaho falls, had to duel with a train just to get out of the parking lot.  Pretty sure I saw a polar bear rummaging through the trash!

😳Pretty sure you have to go 1400 miles NE to find polar bears...LOL!

Maybe black bears.

IMG_6408.jpeg

Edited by detective35

On 3/26/2024 at 11:33 AM, johnenock said:

People in Idaho who read are few and far between. Only a couple used bookstores in the Boise area. We do have 3 comics shops, though mostly just new stuff. One old comic shop but I have picked a lot of that clean over the years.

Is that the one in a house?  Been calling for a few days trying to get an appointment 😆  

Still remember my first time seeing a deseret book store and getting really excited until the guys I was traveling with explained to me it wasn't a cook book store 🙃 

Edited by waaaghboss