• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

At the bottom of the article someone responded that owned the next grade up on a DET 27 which I guess is better than the MH copy. In his opinion, the copy he had would grade at an 8.5/9.0, while the MH was an 8.0 copy.

Some of the books pictured or mentioned are just incredible - FF #1 CGC 9.6, AF #15 CGC 9.6, etc. How would someone sleep at night?

The FF 1 CGC 9.6 is a fabulous book. Doug had it out at a Philadelphia forum dinner a couple of years ago.

Slow down with the links. I have too much to read already! :frustrated:

If I wanted links, I would have used the search button! :frustrated:

Sorry about that. You wanted information, and I wanted to ensure you got your information. Hopefully, it helps.

It must be nice to get all the dirty secrets of comic collecting community in one sitting. Most of this is usually parsed out in a tediously slow manner and even then you have to wade through large amounts of heresay and conjecture.

I have another question.

Since the Church AC1 is being rumored to be in 9.2 condition, does that mean it only has a 3" FC corner crease compared to the one graded a 9.0 by PGX with the 4" corner crease?

:shy:

I have another question.

Since the Church AC1 is being rumored to be in 9.2 condition, does that mean it only has a 3" FC corner crease compared to the one graded a 9.0 by PGX with the 4" corner crease?

lol

I have another question.

Okay, now that is another industry topic I'll ask someday in a thread IF I cannot find it in doing a search - What's the story about this "Daniel" fellow and PGX with books being overgraded and encased yet the company is still around. I'd love to know more about that subject.

I have another question.

Okay, now that is another industry topic I'll ask someday in a thread IF I cannot find it in doing a search - What's the story about this "Daniel" fellow and PGX with books being overgraded and encased yet the company is still around. I'd love to know more about that subject.

you will find a TON of info via a thread search...and pretty much all will be answered... there is a member (old guy, I think) that has it really compacted down in a blog type reference

Thanks so much.

Talk about a topic that has been well documented. I had to call him one time because a seller sent a book and the case was damaged. It was as if I had started the call with, "This is Seargent Phil McCrack of the Los Angeles Police Department......" Definitely not a friendly engagement.

I believe I have been told that Snyder denies doing any work on the Church 27...and that comes from a very reliable source (thumbs u

it is just a lower grade because it was second hand purchased, and likely had some minor wear

That is correct. Chuck actually had a hard time initially selling the 27 because the condition wasn't up to the standards of most of the other books. If it was touched it was done after Snyder owned it - I meant to ask the current owner about it last time I talked to him and forgot, I'll try to remember next time.

And for the record, Snyder did not do anything to the Church Action #1 either, those stories are just sour grapes.

:bump:

OK, I have people here refer to "The Dentist" for years. He sounds like the latest super-villian cooked up by Marvel, but here is what I know about the guy (I think):

1. He owns the Mile High copy of Action #1

2. He is not selling it but if he ever did it would sell for over a million

3. He bought it for $20,000 in 1982

Here is what I don't know about him:

1. What is his real name?

2. How large is his collection?

3. What else does he collect?

4. What other premier books are in his collection?

5. Is he a real dentist?

6. In what state does he live?

7. Has his Action #1 been graded by CGC? And if so, what is the grade?

"Who is The Dentist" should be bumped every few years when enough new members are around. There is also a sister thread

:bump:

OK, I have people here refer to "The Dentist" for years. He sounds like the latest super-villian cooked up by Marvel, but here is what I know about the guy (I think):

1. He owns the Mile High copy of Action #1

2. He is not selling it but if he ever did it would sell for over a million

3. He bought it for $20,000 in 1982

Here is what I don't know about him:

1. What is his real name?

2. How large is his collection?

3. What else does he collect?

4. What other premier books are in his collection?

5. Is he a real dentist?

6. In what state does he live?

7. Has his Action #1 been graded by CGC? And if so, what is the grade?

"Who is The Dentist" should be bumped every few years when enough new members are around. There is also a sister thread

Thank you for bumping.

I talked to someone here in Houston, that i consider a solid source, tell me David Choe (artist) is buying every copy of Tec 27 possible and telling people he is "burning" the lower grade ones. Said he wants to control the supply of Tec 27. If you ever see an interview with Choe it might be more believable because he seems insane. Any truth to this?