• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

how comic-crazy are you?

have you ever found yourself, like in this picture, where you were so focused on a comic that you weren't paying attention to or didn't care about (ahem) what your significant other was doing? this was taken at rockaway beach new york in july 1946. that ibis 4 must really be fascinating! :D

rockawaybeachny7-46.jpgibis4.jpg

here is an interesting article about comic obsession from aug 16, 1951 in the eugene register-guard.

eugeneregister-guard8-16-51.jpg

OK, how funny is that and how times have changed in some ways and others not.

Today, no house wife or judge would confess to reading comics (funny books.)

A man admitting whipping his wife would have already been arrested and the kids would be in the hands of social workers.

As for that Ibis photo, just substiute an IPAD or IPHONE and you would have today's version. That much hasn't changed.

how comic-crazy are you?

have you ever found yourself, like in this picture, where you were so focused on a comic that you weren't paying attention to or didn't care about (ahem) what your significant other was doing? this was taken at rockaway beach new york in july 1946. that ibis 4 must really be fascinating! :D

here is an interesting article about comic obsession from aug 16, 1951 in the eugene register-guard.

eugeneregister-guard8-16-51.jpg

That looks like a bag from a fast food joint. Wonder what places were open in 1946?

how comic-crazy are you?

That looks like a bag from a fast food joint. Wonder what places were open in 1946?

you're from new york and you don't recognize the white castle logo? :baiting::grin:

well the logo has changed since the 1940s though.

whitecastle.jpgwhitecastlelogo.jpg

how comic-crazy are you?

you're from new york and you don't recognize the white castle logo? :baiting::grin:

well the logo has changed since the 1940s though.

whitecastle.jpgwhitecastlelogo.jpg

Actually, I don't think I have ever eaten White Castle. I'm a southern boy.

Good find though. I knew someone would know exactly what it was from.

This is from a 1970 interview with someone named "Captain George". Over to the right of the Captain's shoulder you can see Action Comics #25.

captaingeorge1970.jpg

To the left is Superman 2 and an early Marvel Mystery (maybe 6?).

This is from a 1970 interview with someone named "Captain George". Over to the right of the Captain's shoulder you can see Action Comics #25.

captaingeorge1970.jpg

Is that Captain George Hendersen of Captain George's Whizbang fame?

... and Memory Lane.

captaingeorge1970.jpg

... and Memory Lane.

and some others. Maybe a Superman 2 on his other shoulder, and a Marvel Mystery too I think

captaingeorge1970.jpg

... and Memory Lane.

and some others. Maybe a Superman 2 on his other shoulder, and a Marvel Mystery too I think

Yep! Mr.Bedrock mentioned the Sup #2 and a possible MM.

caught my eye too- here's a guess

FLASH Newspicture Magazine from 1938-1939.

Flash Publ Co: Washington DC 1938-39. Photos, ads, each 12 x 9, pict stapled wraps, 26 pp each, all worn, soiled, vertical crease, some with address label excised from front cover, one issue with half of back cover gone, one issue with half a page gone, else a very interesting lot. FLASH was a magazine for African-Americans; it was published biweekly, held photo contests and kept up with famous African-Americans like Joe Louis, Cab Calloway and Hazel Scott, who is pictured on the cover of the Oct. 15, 1938 issue

captaingeorge1970.jpg

... and Memory Lane.

Yep! Mr.Bedrock mentioned the Sup #2 and a possible MM.

The whole interview is available on You Tube

I don't have the link handy, but it has been posted on the boards before

caught my eye too- here's a guess

FLASH Newspicture Magazine from 1938-1939.

Flash Publ Co: Washington DC 1938-39. Photos, ads, each 12 x 9, pict stapled wraps, 26 pp each, all worn, soiled, vertical crease, some with address label excised from front cover, one issue with half of back cover gone, one issue with half a page gone, else a very interesting lot. FLASH was a magazine for African-Americans; it was published biweekly, held photo contests and kept up with famous African-Americans like Joe Louis, Cab Calloway and Hazel Scott, who is pictured on the cover of the Oct. 15, 1938 issue

Very interesting! There's virtually nothing online about this magazine, I'd love to see some clear cover pics to see if it's an inspiration for the Flash comics logo.

captaingeorge1970.jpg

I believe it is. Here is a site with a great picture of him.

http://www.midnightfiction.com/history/henderson.htm