• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

here is an unusual mobile newsstand in san jose california in the fall of 1939.

bennysnewssj40s.jpg

a closeup of the sign reads bennie's popcorn & newsstand.

bennyssign.jpg

taking a close look at the back of the vehicle is a rack of pulps and magazines. there are western and detective pulps but no comics. since popcorn and snacks were sold, it's possible comics might also have been sold on this newsstand.

closeup.jpg

a closeup of the door shows an ad for the october 1939 issue of good housekeeping promoting the upcoming movie pinocchio.

pinoch10-39.jpg

another cool historical site Jeff! I would think this "news" vehicle might have had some Marvel 1s or Tec 33s on it. :banana:

here's a few pictures with disney books.

walt disney looking at mickey mouse series #1 in 1931.

mmseries11931.jpg

stacks of magazines are for sale in a La Grange Georgia drugstore in 1935. in the center foreground are copies of some david mckay books, mickey mouse #4 and little annie rooney. little annie rooney was a knock-off of little orphan annie and was also about the adventures of a little girl and her dog.

ms4-1309.jpgmmbbook4_1934.jpg

a movie still from the disney movie "the shaggy dog" (1959) features a wholesome image of a kid reading a comic. the character "moochie" is reading uncle scrooge 18.

moochie.jpg

a less wholesome image taken in february 1959 is this photo of a 2 year old with a cigarette reading mickey mouse 65. more pictures can be seen here in this thread from several months ago. it is somewhat disturbing to see a 2 year old smoking cigarettes.

mickeycig.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

here's a late comic-con report for a new york comic-con held on bush ave in newburgh new york in the summer of 1937 or 1938. there were only a few dealers but there was a variety of big little books (BLBs) and golden age books. most of the interest seemed to be in the BLBs. the girl on the right is reading tip top comics 12. i wonder if there were any early detectives?

BushAveNewburghNY1937-38.jpgtiptop12.jpg

let's look back at a 1953 christmas where kids are reading comics instead of watching the television to the left. visible comics are caspar, archie 66, krazy cat and a walt disney comics & stories.

i wish everyone a happy holiday with comics!

xmas1953.jpg

let's look back at a 1953 christmas where kids are reading comics instead of watching the television to the left. visible comics are caspar, archie 66, krazy cat and a walt disney comics & stories.

xmas1953.jpg

The Archie is this one:

104906.jpg

The WDC&S was a bit harder. White 'Walt' with a yellow (probably) 'Disney' and something that comes to a point under the 'W'. The Dell logo is in a coloured box with saturation similar to the main cover colour - probably red and blue. There aren't actually too many of those combos to choose from, and the only one around the right time is this one:

52513.jpg

I think there is something else sitting on top of the WDC&S to produce that pointy bit. Note that the film stock has reversed the relative darkness of red and blue on both books. Of course, it's just possible that I'm over-analysing this. :insane:

how about some golden age action? in this undated photo, the kid appears to have an action 14.

i know it's hard to see but what do you think?

action.jpgaction14.jpg

My guess would be Action #21.

107562.jpg.8243d37af710d0bf684c21388ddbdbbc.jpg

I think BZ nailed it. At first I thought it might be #3, but there appears to be a circle (64 pages or Superman) in the upper left corner, which is not present on the #3.

here's a late comic-con report for a new york comic-con held on bush ave in newburgh new york in the summer of 1937 or 1938. there were only a few dealers but there was a variety of big little books (BLBs) and golden age books. most of the interest seemed to be in the BLBs. the girl on the right is reading tip top comics 12. i wonder if there were any early detectives?

BushAveNewburghNY1937-38.jpgtiptop12.jpg

xmas1953.jpg

reading and playing outside--two things kids had to do to entertain themselves pre-internet/computer days..seems like better times (thumbs u

I added this wirephoto titled PURPLE HEART HOMECOMING to my collection a couple of months ago and it shows a Red Cross Woman handing out comics to happy Purple Heart GI's. It is interesting that there are two issues of Action 80 which is the same basic cover as the Red Cross version of Special Edition Comics. (Special Edition has Navy language printed on top and I dont beleive is numbered and also has a different back cover) The picture appears to have the actual Action 80 and not the Red Cross rarer version. Batman 26 is also in the photo which backs up the date of this 2/19/45 photo. Action 80 was cover dated 1/45 and Batman 26 is dated Dec44/Jan45. Happy Holidays to All who view this listing.

comicphotofront.jpg

btn_geturs.gifbtn_viewall.gif

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/mintuctions/comicphotofront.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/mintuctions/comicphotoback.jpg

Edited by GMRS

What a pic! Love it. Thanks for posting.

I added this wirephoto titled PURPLE HEART HOMECOMING to my collection a couple of months ago and it shows a Red Cross Woman handing out comics to happy Purple Heart GI's. It is interesting that there are two issues of Action 80 which is the same basic cover as the Red Cross version of Special Edition Comics. (Special Edition has Navy language printed on top and I dont beleive is numbered and also has a different back cover) The picture appears to have the actual Action 80 and not the Red Cross rarer version. Batman 26 is also in the photo which backs up the date of this 2/19/45 photo. Action 80 was cover dated 1/45 and Batman 26 is dated Dec44/Jan45. Happy Holidays to All who view this listing.

how about some golden age action? in this undated photo, the kid appears to have an action 14.

action.jpgaction14.jpg

Really hard to tell. That area where Superman's cape should be looks more rectangular than the shape of the cape on #21. But, the more I look at the pic, the more I think we're not seeing the whole comic cover image in the pic. There seems to be something about the size of an index card obscuring the left side of the cover, making it very hard to identify.

action.jpgaction14.jpg

Really hard to tell. That area where Superman's cape should be looks more rectangular than the shape of the cape on #21. But, the more I look at the pic, the more I think we're not seeing the whole comic cover image in the pic. There seems to be something about the size of an index card obscuring the left side of the cover, making it very hard to identify.

I believe it could also be Action #12. The planet just below the "O" in Action 12 looks similar to the circular object in the photo.

a>a>