• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

i hope you guys don't mind seeing a few of these pics again.

these first 2 pics were linked in a 2 year old ajaxfarrell thread and further digging led to the third pic.

how about some golden age action? in this undated photo, the kid appears to have an action 14.

i know it's hard to see but what do you think? maybe this was taken in elko nevada?

action.jpgaction14.jpg

this is the post exchange of camp kilmer in new jersey in 1942. on the right pillar, i see superman 18, crime does not pay 23 and doll man 3.

campnj.jpg

superman18.jpgCDNP23.jpgdollman3.jpg

the cheercart brings reading materials and snacks to serviceman in the camp kilmer hospital in 1945.

camp-kilmercheercart.jpg

in a cart closeup, i see a sensation ?, real life 19, dynamic 14, green hornet 23 and capt marvel jr 28.

cartcloseup.jpg

sensation40.jpgreallife19.jpgdynamic14.jpggreenhornet23.jpgcaptmarveljr28.jpg

this pic was also shown in another old ajaxfarrell thread but color pics of golden age books are rare and worth seeing again.

the cover of our navy magazine 1945 shows a sailor at a "gyp joint" newsstand holding a copy of shadow comics v4 #12 (#48). :grin:

other comics shown are air ace 20, blue circle 4, capt midnight 28, camera comics 2, comic capers 3, our gang 16, picture stories from the bible-new testament 1, startling 32, three ring comics 1 and young allies 14.

ournavy4-45.jpg

the cheercart brings reading materials and snacks to serviceman in the camp kilmer hospital in 1945.

camp-kilmercheercart.jpg

in a cart closeup, i see a sensation ?, real life 19, dynamic 14, green hornet 23 and capt marvel jr 28.

cartcloseup.jpg

Is there possibly a Leading Comics on top of the Sensation in the bottom row, underneath the Real Life. Problem is that neither 12 / 13 / 14 are a good fit for the image. Maybe it's another L... title. Color-scheme-wise, 13 is the best bet. Can you see it?

camp-kilmercheercart.jpg

cartcloseup.jpg

Is there possibly a Leading Comics on top of the Sensation in the bottom row, underneath the Real Life. Problem is that neither 12 / 13 / 14 are a good fit for the image. Maybe it's another L... title. Color-scheme-wise, 13 is the best bet. Can you see it?

i initially thought it was a leading comic too but i think it's just another copy of real life.

NICE. Thanks for posting, I missed it the first time around.

I think that might be an Action 21. I think I'm seeing the Superman corner bust logo in the upper left corner (which would exclude the 14 if true), and that shape visible below the Action logo towards the left could be Superman's cape. Obviously, hard to make out though.

Btw, thanks very much for your contributions to the thread -- and to everyone else digging stuff up as well. A thoroughly enjoyable thread. :applause:

these first 2 pics were linked in a 2 year old ajaxfarrell thread and further digging led to the third pic.

how about some golden age action? in this undated photo, the kid appears to have an action 14.

i know it's hard to see but what do you think? maybe this was taken in elko nevada?

action.jpg

NICE. Thanks for posting, I missed it the first time around.

I think that might be an Action 21. I think I'm seeing the Superman corner bust logo in the upper left corner (which would exclude the 14 if true), and that shape visible below the Action logo towards the left could be Superman's cape. Obviously, hard to make out though.

Btw, thanks very much for your contributions to the thread -- and to everyone else digging stuff up as well. A thoroughly enjoyable thread. :applause:

i'm glad you enjoy these pics as much as me. also thanks to previous contributors too.:thumbsup:

i think you have a more convincing argument that it's an action 21. when i was doing image correction, i thought i saw a vertical box on the left side of the cover which only occurs in action 12 or 14.

speaking of superman, here's some pics of 2 great boxers...

(shown before in another thread)

joe louis reading superman 12 in minneapolis minn in 1941

jlouisminn1940.jpg

don king & muhammad ali looking at superman vs muhammad ali in 1/31/78

ali1-31-78.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

There are a few pics I hadn't seen before in the new Taschen book, including a pic of a man reading a More Fun #25 (Oct 1937) which would be among the earliest pics that have surfaced -- in fact only the Life newsstand pic that jpepx posted awhile back comes to mind as something earlier.

Taschen has the first 100 pages of the book online to browse through for free, which of course covers much of the GA section. Should be of interest to many reading this thread:

http://www.taschen.com/lookinside/06749/index.htm

25-08-2010110149AM.jpg

Dwight

Now that is cool! Early 1941 with so many choices for a dime!

Top row (Jumbo #26, Green Mask #4, Hit #11, Blue Beetle #7, Green Hornet #3, True #1, Flash #17, Big 3 #3):

01Jumbo26.jpg02GreenMask4.jpg03Hit11.jpg04BlueBeetle7.jpg05GreenHornet3.jpg06True1.jpg07Flash17.jpg08Big33.jpg

Second row (Detective #50, Superman #10, Jumbo #26, Wonderworld #24, Sub-Mariner #1, Bill Barnes #2, Target #16, Feature #44):

09Detective50.jpg10Superman10.jpg01Jumbo26.jpg12Wonderworld24.jpg13SubMariner1.jpg14BillBarnes2.jpg15Target16.jpg16Feature44.jpg

Strong superhero showing. Was hoping to see a Centaur! That's okay, I'll take the Subby #1 :cloud9:

...wonder where this pic was taken? Circa early 1941...

that is an amazing picture. the Saturday Evening Post is cover dated March 29, 1941.

What is the mag to the right of the Reader's Digest? w/ "Is Your Child's (teacher?)..." on the cover?

It must be NYC. First the journal of Commerce newspaper is from NY:

Journal of Commerce -- New York , NY -- location is in southern New York. The Journal of Commerce is a nationwide publication covering the transportation industry. Great source for information on logistical and maritime companies.

And I doubt many cities outside NY circa 1941 had a hebrew newspaper on the front of a newstand.

here is an unusual mobile newsstand in san jose california in the fall of 1939.

bennysnewssj40s.jpg

a closeup of the sign reads bennie's popcorn & newsstand.

bennyssign.jpg

taking a close look at the back of the vehicle is a rack of pulps and magazines. there are western and detective pulps but no comics. since popcorn and snacks were sold, it's possible comics might also have been sold on this newsstand.

closeup.jpg

a closeup of the door shows an ad for the october 1939 issue of good housekeeping promoting the upcoming movie pinocchio.

pinoch10-39.jpg

here is a picture of the promotional sign that was sold for $801 in a hake's auction in 2005.

pinocchiosign.jpg

the pinocchio story with pictures was serialized in the october & november 1939 issues of good housekeeping to promote the movie that was released in feburary 1940. here are scans of the story for those who might be interested. notice the mutt & jeff ad for kellogg's all-bran cereal in part 1 page 6.

part 1

th_gh10-39p1.jpgth_gh10-39p2.jpgth_gh10-39p3.jpgth_gh10-39p4.jpgth_gh10-39p5.jpgth_gh10-39p6.jpgth_gh10-39p7.jpgth_gh10-39p8.jpg

part 2

th_gh11-39p1.jpgth_gh11-39p2.jpgth_gh11-39p3.jpgth_gh11-39p4.jpgth_gh11-39p5.jpgth_gh11-39p6.jpg

action.jpgaction14.jpg

this is the post exchange of camp kilmer in new jersey in 1942. on the right pillar, i see superman 18, crime does not pay 23 and doll man 3.

campnj.jpg

superman18.jpgCDNP23.jpgdollman3.jpg

camp-kilmercheercart.jpg

cartcloseup.jpg

this pic was also shown in another old ajaxfarrell thread but color pics of golden age books are rare and worth seeing again.

the cover of our navy magazine 1945 shows a sailor at a "gyp joint" newsstand holding a copy of shadow comics v4 #12 (#48). :grin:

other comics shown are air ace 20, blue circle 4, capt midnight 28, camera comics 2, comic capers 3, our gang 16, picture stories from the bible-new testament 1, startling 32, three ring comics 1 and young allies 14.

ournavy4-45.jpg

(thumbs u