• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

Awesome thread!

Don't know if this one's been posted before. Scored this from Terry Stroud at the Terry O'Neil show in Yorba Linda a couple weeks ago. Thanks to Near Mint for directing me to this thread.

commisary_comics.jpg

I think I see a tec 82 in there with the football cover. Cool pic!

thanks goodness no internet or "TV" back then...or where would we be now hm

Too true. There might not even have been a comic book industry if TV, internet, and video games were around in those days.....

Course thats what makes em special to all of us :cloud9:

Here's an epic photo just posted by Roger Ebert:

2c%20142.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>%20142.jpg'>

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/photos-in-need-of-comment/masked-avenger-photo-for-223.html

Is this a known vintage costume...? Been awhile since I've read these, is it advertised in the books? Or just some sort of publicity photo?

Is this a known vintage costume...? Been awhile since I've read these, is it advertised in the books? Or just some sort of publicity photo?

so cool :applause: I don't think they had Cap costumes back in the early 40s. Unless this was taken much later into the late 60s.

: I don't think they had Cap costumes back in the early 40s. Unless this was taken much later into the late 60s.

Yeah, presuming it is a vintage photo, I'm a bit puzzled as to the origin of this myself. Asked Ebert if he knew the source but haven't heard back. Looks too polished to be a homemade costume.

edited to add -- or something mocked up for the new movie perhaps? A viral?

Edited by markseifert

Awesome thread!

Don't know if this one's been posted before. Scored this from Terry Stroud at the Terry O'Neil show in Yorba Linda a couple weeks ago. Thanks to Near Mint for directing me to this thread.

commisary_comics.jpg

Very cool, Mick - it was fun to see it in person after you bought it.

I like the variety of material on the shelf...

2c%20142.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>%20142.jpg'>

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/photos-in-need-of-comment/masked-avenger-photo-for-223.html

That's Don Glut at one of the comics fandom events in the early sixties. The same picture is in Bill Schelly's book "Golden Age of Comics Fandom".

although the 1950s seem to be a simpler and stress-free period, americans were concerned with the threat from communism and nuclear war. the government had civil defense programs (remember "duck & cover"?) and some worried people built bomb or fallout shelters.

these are pictures of a south pasadena california bomb shelter taken on sept 29, 1955. the entrance to the shelter and space is tiny for a family of four. i don't think i could last more than a day or two in this extremely small space. :eek:

bombshelterspasadena9-29-55a.jpg

what to bring to the shelter? how about a few comics and games for the kids. :D

bombshelterspasadena9-29-55b.jpg

comics are donald duck 31 & 41, woody woodpecker four color 405. i'm not sure about the other comic under woody woodpecker. :)

bombshelterspasadena9-29-55c.jpg

looks like the girl is playing with a toy sewing machine.

bombshelterspasadena9-29-55d.jpg

after reading comics and playing with the sewing machine, they play chess. mom has not changed expression and looks bored. :D

the shelter is woefully underequipped since there doesn't seem to be any food, water supplies or any toilet facilities. :eek:

bombshelterspasadena9-29-55e.jpg

a better equipped shelter would have ample food, water, toilet facilities, battery power and medical kits like this 1957 shelter.

14Dshelter57.gif

in spaulding elementary school in richland washington, a teacher is handing out a civil defense comic on jan 10, 1952. can anyone identify the comic from the open pages? this comic might be more useful for the kid in the shelter above...

what comics would you take to your bunker? :grin:

civildefenserichlandwa1-10-52.jpg

Awesome pics of comics in the shelter! (thumbs u

Jpepx78, what is the source of those?

pasadena photos are from the university of southern cal digital archives, 1957 shelter from the national archives and civil defense comic from a flikr search.

That's Don Glut at one of the comics fandom events in the early sixties. The same picture is in Bill Schelly's book "Golden Age of Comics Fandom".

The boy is identified as "Dave Armstrong at an early New York Comicon." The photo was taken by Larry Ivie.

The boy in costume is identified as "Dave Armstrong at an early New York Comicon." The photo was taken by Larry Ivie.

Glut says it's him on his documentary "I was a Teenage Movie Maker"; he did have a Cap costume like that in one of his home movies. Whoever it is, it's a great costume to have been made by a kid.

I'll have to dig up my copy of Schelly's book and re-read the caption.

:D99966.jpg

The late, great, Leonard Brown

I'm glad you knew who that was. Too often I get this sickening feeling that the first generation of collectors are simply forgotten. If it wasn't for them, there'd be a lot less GA to collect. So many of them remain nameless, yet they loved these books and saved them when most people could have cared less.

I bought Leonard's comic collection in the early 90s. It became known as the Crescent City Collection.

His best friend for many years is our own Richard Olsen (yellow kid). He can tell you many stories about their exploits in those days

I would certainly like to hear some of those stories. (thumbs u :popcorn:

i was scanning ebay and found this press photo dated feb 11, 1966 for sale.

leonardbrown2-11-66.jpg

here's the caption on the back of the photo:

brownbk1.jpg

that's a pretty good auction find for $4.16!!!

i wonder what other books was in that crate since batman 1 & superman 1 were not worth anywhere close to 10K together back in 1966. maybe the other books are on his knees?

Edited by jpepx78