• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,396 posts in this topic

Found this online. Not sure if they've been posted before, but thought they were fun

Here's some dangerous reading

dangerousreading.jpg

Judging by the books, this kid must have great taste :applause:

_57.jpg

Not depicting a comic, but Bob Kane with a Catwoman muse

Kane.jpg

I found these, one is the pic that started thread and the other is a little later but has some great books, I believe if I read correctly same newstand.

Newstandphoto2.jpgNewstandphoto1.jpg

sweet mary, mother of jesus!!!!.... I need a time machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The relative of Bailey's newsstand had stated this photograph of the walk in newsstand was taken with a large format camera. There is also a higher resolution picture link in this thread to the same picture. To the point. If you zoom in to the back window you can see the reflection of the folks in the picture plus what looks like the photographer with a large format camera probably on a tripod. Black and white film can take pictures at a pretty high resolution, and is large format camera even more so.

Just a fantastic picture.

Great pic! Who is that in the photo?

This was on eBay a few days ago...

supes51_zpsa01d4f2e.jpg[/url]

could be relevant to you...

it's a pic of professor william o. trapp from the columbia university graduate school of journalism reading superman 51 taken in jan 1948.

Found on a Craigslist Ad, Not sure If Posted Yet...

Edit: No idea how to link this but tried to contribute.Could someone click the link and fix? Sorry..noob....

Thanks for contributing! I uploaded the pic to Photobucket.

This is a nice color pic from around March 1968.

stand68_zps92aeb6d3.jpg

There's a couple of first issues there. Do you see what I see?

Superman 205, Teen Titans 14, Iron Man 1, Capt Marvel 1, Eerie 14, Thor 151, Star Spangled War Stories 138, Walt Disney Presents the Happiest Millionaire 1, Aquaman 38, Action 361, GI Combat 129, Mad 118, Challengers of the Unknown 61, Little Lulu 187, Sad Sack Laugh Special 41, Donald Duck 118

That's all I could identify for now.

Found these really cool photos of LA during the 50s and 60s here:

link

I love seeing photos like this :applause:

Thank you for sending me down the road to remember some of my youth. :cloud9:

It's amazing how some of those places still look the same; Covina, El Monte, San Clemente, Sierra Madre, Manhattan Beach, downtown LA. Photoshop out the cars and ads and you will still see many of the same buildings.

There is a great site that took a look at Culver City and tried to figure out where all the Laurel and Hardy films were shot. Fascinating how little some places change and others so much!

Found these really cool photos of LA during the 50s and 60s here:

link

I've lived in the Los Angeles area since 1958 so thanks for sharing these incredible photos! I really miss those days! EJR

That is one the best "comics on a newsstand" pics ever. The books are so easy to see, and so colorful.

I wonder - are even the best-preserved books really as fresh and blinding white as these were when that picture was taken?

That is one the best "comics on a newsstand" pics ever. The books are so easy to see, and so colorful.

I wonder - are even the best-preserved books really as fresh and blinding white as these were when that picture was taken?

Probably not, but they still have the spine bends.

+1

That is a great picture!

Very nice color picture! I wonder if there is an Amazing Fantasy 15 under those books? Looks like Journey into Mystery 84 under the Joan of Arc.

Is that Strange Tales 101 under the WDCS 263 and next to the Fantastic Four 7 (under the Sad Sack & Sarge)?