• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,396 posts in this topic

What's so cool is that this is just a pic of a normal crummy newsstand with the latest rags for sale, as they were in all cities and towns that week.

But to our eyes we see a lost gold mine! Book after book just sitting there in brand new condition plus or minus some handling issues.... You could say treasures hiding in plain sight... Hindsight that is,

3 is Hangman #2

Thanks! It was driving me nuts that we (I) couldn't figure out one of the [...]man comics from that time period. Different logo on that one and a great cover (at least the other half, the one we don't see, is).

Not sure if this has been posted before...

I'm providing the link so you can blow the picture up...

May 1942. "Southington, Connecticut. Where Southington folk buy their magazines." Photo by Fenno Jacobs, Office of War Information.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/16652

Doubly awesome for me having lived in Southington for 20+ years. Not during the '40s though. ;)

3 is Hangman #2

Thanks! It was driving me nuts that we (I) couldn't figure out one of the [...]man comics from that time period. Different logo on that one and a great cover (at least the other half, the one we don't see, is).

Below #3 is Human Torch. That pic has it all.

Reading comics is a simple pleasure that many of us enjoy. Despite curbs on comics in the 1950s and the abundance of present-day digital diversions, comic reading still has a devoted following. My interest in comics came from most of my friends but not from my parents.

How many of you had a parent or relative read comics with you?

For those of you that have kids, do you share your passion and read comics with them?

Here is a nostalgic look at families that read comics. Some pictures have been shown before and there a few famous faces. From these pictures, a family reading comics is a happy family. Enjoy.

How many of these books can you identify?

wdcsfamily_zpscf067af0.jpg

1. family reading

pajamas_zps6325087d.jpg

2. sofa reading

storytime1956_zps087d661c.jpg

3. story time for the boys but sister is reading comics in 1956

stevens_zpsfec85733.jpg

4. reading on the lawn in miami beach nov 1 1953

ohareairport7-70_zps826469fe.jpg

5. waiting at chicago o'hare airport july 1970

GoofyFamily_zpscf79ccde.jpg

6. goofy family

familyreading50s_zpsa5237ea8.jpg

7. family reading in the 1950s

lassie3-5-60frt_zpsc8f971db.jpg

8. baseball player with daughter 3-5-60

father-son_zpsa9d020d4.jpg

9. another player with son

10. dad smoking pipe and reading comic

xmas1953_zps7acfe1c7.jpg

11. happy christmas in london ontario canada in 1953 (60 years ago!)

happy holidays!

I still remember my pop reading me ASM 52...... I went on to learn how to read with comics. Pop didn't just read the comic.... he taught me HOW to read one :cloud9: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Reading comics is a simple pleasure that many of us enjoy. Despite curbs on comics in the 1950s and the abundance of present-day digital diversions, comic reading still has a devoted following. My interest in comics came from most of my friends but not from my parents.

How many of you had a parent or relative read comics with you?

For those of you that have kids, do you share your passion and read comics with them?

Here is a nostalgic look at families that read comics. Some pictures have been shown before and there a few famous faces. From these pictures, a family reading comics is a happy family. Enjoy.

How many of these books can you identify?

stevens_zpsfec85733.jpg

4. reading on the lawn in miami beach nov 1 1953

Three copies of the same issue!

lassie3-5-60frt_zpsc8f971db.jpg

8. baseball player with daughter 3-5-60

Roger Maris?

father-son_zpsa9d020d4.jpg

9. another player with son

DiMaggio!

xmas1953_zps7acfe1c7.jpg

11. happy christmas in london ontario canada in 1953 (60 years ago!)

Groucho Marx!

happy holidays!

I have a very dim recollection of my father reading to me from one of my older brother's comics when I was very young. He wasn't a fan of comics, though, so I think it must only have been a couple of times.

I asked my sister a number of times if she still had the picture when my dad and I came home with Marvel Mystery #70-#90 from the English Town, NJ flea market in the early 70's. What a great picture that was!

Happy Holidays Y'All!

Here is more nostalgia with pictures of family reading comics. Identify the comics. :)

dad-daughter_zpsd03fde98.jpg

12. dad and daughter

marvinjohnsonmontgomeryala3-43b_zpsd7341ab1.jpgmontgomeryala3-43_zps37f44db7.jpg

13. marvin johnson with kids in montgomery alabama march 1943

mrsmurphy54A_zps7496ff8b.jpg

14. mrs murphy and bedtime reading in 1954

fox-crow_zpsf6409329.jpgfox-crow1_zpsfddf4094.jpg

15. mom reading story

ar70s.jpg

16. celebrity reading with son in 1970s

LA1953_zps17363f9d.jpg

17. one of my favorite pics (in color!) with mom reading with the boys and the family dog in Los Angeles 1953

dracula9-74_zps459ad4b4.jpg

18. grandma with kids in sept 1974

federfamilysanfernandovalley48_zps6259efc0.jpg

19. fun reading in san fernando valley california in 1948

20. is this mom discussing the facts of life with daughter with comics in 1956? :grin:

scf_zps4c1ed770.jpg

21. happy christmas reading!

happy holidays!

I asked my sister a number of times if she still had the picture when my dad and I came home with Marvel Mystery #70-#90 from the English Town, NJ flea market in the early 70's. What a great picture that was!

Happy Holidays Y'All!

Englishtown Auction was the source of many of my old comics and I still own many! Those were the days but I never scored that kind of a find! I still remember a $20 All Flash #1 I couldn't afford on display in an outside booth.