• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

Haven't seen this one before:

In addition to the comics in the window, historically fascinating for the signage touting the availability of American comics, biggest selection in East London.

Found here, the twitterer says it's from 1952:

bethnalgreenlondon1951.jpg

The photo shown above was taken by British artist and documentary photographer Nigel Henderson in Bethnal Green in the east end of London probably around 1951 or 1952.

He lived in Bethnal Green from 1949 to 1952 and took documentary photos of the neighborhood.

As you can see there are various American comics from 1948 to 1951: Dale Evans 14, Crime Patrol 12, Superboy 7, Capt Marvel Jr 61, Jungle 133, Wambi 9, Western True Crime 4 & 5.

American comics were very popular outside the United States and different countries had their favorites.

Can you guess the country outside America and the major city from each of the following pictures?

Also identify all the American comic characters, the exact foreign issues or the equivalent American issues if possible in these pictures. Answers in a several days.

Some of you might have seen a few of these pictures before.

1. at a train station

49supe_zps06e06b6e.jpg

2. at a street swap

donaldduckterror.jpg

3. 1950s street newsstand and closeup view

farannewsstand50s_zps60fc4215.jpg

farannewsstand50scu_zps51a63f67.jpg

4. 1959 reader

Micky-11-59_zps5d636cfa.jpg

5. renting comics

rentingcomic50s_zps786619df.jpg

6. sideburns

sideburns_zpsb388d938.jpg

7. foreign newsstand

shopbalance53_zps7a2ce9e8.jpg

OK, I'll play...

1. Belfast

2. Cairo

3. Mexico City

4. Berlin

5. Hong Kong

6. Paris

7. London

Edited by tricolorbrian

OK, I'll play...

1. Berlin

2. Mexico City

3. Havana

4. Dusseldorf

5. Hong Kong

6. London

7. Paris

Number 5 is correct, Havana & Düsseldorf are incorrect and the other 4 are in the wrong spots.

Good guesses! Recognize those characters?

Well then! I guess #4 is Berlin, #3 is Mexico city, #1 is London, #6 is Paris...and oh, #2 is so obvious...Rome...

And of course I recognize all those characters...everyone does... lol

Number 3,4 & 6 are correct but Rome is incorrect.

Some clues are in the photos.

1. Belfast, 2. Cairo, and 7. London...

Revised Order...what do I win?

1. Belfast

2. Cairo

3. Mexico City

4. Berlin

5. Hong Kong

6. Paris

7. London

Number 7 is correct but Belfast and Cairo are incorrect. You will win a Marvel no-prize, accolades from fellow collectors and more fascinating pictures with comics later.

Answers to my photo quiz which only one person tried to answer: :(

1. Two men are reading Superman in Calgary Canada on 3/13/49. The back cover showing "Tops in Comics!" is a Canadian edition of Superman 56. Copies of Tessie and Oscar can be seen on the rack.

2. A boy is reading a copy of Donald Duck "The Terror of the River" in Paris France. A beret was commonly worn in France.

3. A newsstand in Mexico City. Mexican versions of Walt Disney Comics, Warfront (Frentes de Guerra), Buffalo Bill, Nancy & Sluggo, Little Lulu, Woody Woodpecker, Porky Pig & DC superheroes (Relatos Fabulosos).

4. Kid reading Mickey Maus #195911 from 1959 in Berlin Germany.

5. Renting comics in Hong Kong. Blackhawk, Lovelorn and a Classics Illustrated can be seen in the background.

6. Man reading Superman et Batman et Robin #15 in Paris. A French Citroen car is in the background.

7. A newsstand in London. Copies of Nyoka 55, Bob Colt 6, Hopalong Cassidy 57, Bob Steele 5, Young Eagle 6, Polly Pigtails 36 are on the rack with the British comic Chips.

The 2015 Academy Awards is on this Sunday and one of the nominations for best documentary feature is "Finding Vivian Maier". The documentary is about the unusual life of Vivian Maier (1926-2009) and the discovery of the thousands of photos she took of ordinary street life in mid-century America. She was a street photographer who lived in New York City and Chicago and worked as a nanny.

She secretly took over 100000 photos that were discovered hidden in storage lockers in 2007 when the lockers were auctioned off at a local thrift auction house on Chicago's Northwest side. There is some controversy over the handling and representation of her work and a legal battle over the ownership rights of the negatives among several collectors who bought her work. Presently John Maloof, a former Chicago real estate agent, accumulated about 90% of Maier's work which includes 100000 to 150000 negatives, thousands of prints, hundreds rolls of film, home movies and audio tape interviews. More info at this site:

http://www.findingvivianmaier.com/

Vivian Maier in 1959.

vivianmaier59_zps393e4a05.jpg

One of her pictures that is of interest to me and some collectors here is of a sleepy New York City newsdealer in March 1954. Note the March 22 1954 issue of Time and Newsweek magazine and the Groucho Marx TV Guide cover. Is that Audrey Hepburn on the cover of Look? What comics can you see? Maybe there are some other interesting pictures in the collection.

nycmaier3-54_zps972c1a83.jpg

There's a nice Tales of Horror 11 poking out! :gossip:

Yeah, and a Baffaling and looks like a Ghost. But most of them are Bozo the Clown or Henry Aldrich or Beetle Baily. How many people collect those any more and how often to you see copies for sale? So I'd have to wake the guy up to give him my 30 cents for 3 bent up comics.