• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moon Knight Rules!!!!
1 1

599 posts in this topic

Im with JJ.

The way I see it, I'm thankful my favorite character isn't very popular or all those variants would be prohibitively expensive. As it is, arguably the single most valuable MK variant is the Virgin Edition and I only paid $70 for it and probably way overpaid at that.... Heck, Lady Mechankia variant books are worth more than that!

Even with the rat-race for Platt MK's , a 9.8 #55 GPAs for $100 and for $120 you can BIN on Ebay at this very moment. I have seen them regularly graded for well under $100.

I still havn't seen a virgin copy on ebay.

I will check tomorrow if the guy has the platt books still. I have to go down there anyways to do some work for an other store close by. I am not an expert grader by any means but I can tell if a book is 9.0 or higher lol.

LCSes can not return comics. That's the whole thing behind the variants. When an LCS orders a 1/25 variant, they have to order 25 of the regular cover. They are then stuck with those 25 issues if they don't sell. If this were not the case, every LCS would order 100 copies of every 1/100 variant, then return the 10,000 regular covers.

This is a big part of how publishers keep their margins up. They sell way more comics to LCSes than actually ever make it to collectors, at least until they wind up in the $1 bin. Let's say there's a store that would normally sell 30 copies of any given MK issue. They would order the 30 copies, and that's how many Marvel would sell. But if Marvel prints up two 1/25 variants, things are much better for them. The LCS will order one or two copies of each variant (let's say one copy of each for the sake of argument), and suddenly Marvel has sold that LCS 52 issues (two variants plus 50 regulars), where otherwise it would have sold only 30. At this point, the LCS has 20 extra copies of the regular cover that they're pretty sure they won't be able to sell very quickly, so they have to jack up the price of the variants to cover the discrepancy.

At least, that's my understanding of how it works.

Mine too. That is why I said I wont have any problem finding these back issues of the regular covers in the $1 bins. Do cost coverage by buying those cheap and use the money later I saved from the regular books to grab the variants later on.

Also, in my mind it really only hurts the lcs in the end because they pay more then a $1 to get those books and that is what those variants are for so they can regain their cost. If the variant doesn't sell its a loss. Also, if more and more people think like me and start doing what I am doing they would have no market for the variants anymore.

Again I will state only marvel wins on this.

I am Whisp the anti-variant man of vengeance.

LCSes can not return comics. That's the whole thing behind the variants. When an LCS orders a 1/25 variant, they have to order 25 of the regular cover. They are then stuck with those 25 issues if they don't sell. If this were not the case, every LCS would order 100 copies of every 1/100 variant, then return the 10,000 regular covers.

This is a big part of how publishers keep their margins up. They sell way more comics to LCSes than actually ever make it to collectors, at least until they wind up in the $1 bin. Let's say there's a store that would normally sell 30 copies of any given MK issue. They would order the 30 copies, and that's how many Marvel would sell. But if Marvel prints up two 1/25 variants, things are much better for them. The LCS will order one or two copies of each variant (let's say one copy of each for the sake of argument), and suddenly Marvel has sold that LCS 52 issues (two variants plus 50 regulars), where otherwise it would have sold only 30. At this point, the LCS has 20 extra copies of the regular cover that they're pretty sure they won't be able to sell very quickly, so they have to jack up the price of the variants to cover the discrepancy.

Interesting. In the software biz, if games on shelves go un-sold, they are returned to the publisher regardless of how many copies a store or distributor ordered.... It's a HUGE factor in revenue forecasting for us...

Edited by sl4ppy

Interesting. In the software biz, if games on shelves go un-sold, they are returned to the publisher regardless of how many copies a store or distributor ordered.... It's a HUGE factor in revenue forecasting for us...

I know in the past a lcs could return books. That was what the distributers ink was for.

And I think right now it is only correct in part and that it depends on the circumstances.

Again I could be wrong but when it comes to variants they can't be returned. Now I think I recall but could be wrong that there is two price structures. You can buy and return a comic to diamond but I think you have less percentage of gains. I might have heard this wrong though. So for example you could buy a comic at $1+ but you had no return option or you could buy the comic at $2+ but had option to be able to return if it didn't sell thus your profit margin isn't as big.

Again maybe someone that runs a shop that orders books can give us better insight into this.

Im with JJ.

The way I see it, I'm thankful my favorite character isn't very popular or all those variants would be prohibitively expensive. As it is, arguably the single most valuable MK variant is the Virgin Edition and I only paid $70 for it and probably way overpaid at that.... Heck, Lady Mechankia variant books are worth more than that!

Even with the rat-race for Platt MK's , a 9.8 #55 GPAs for $100 and for $120 you can BIN on Ebay at this very moment. I have seen them regularly graded for well under $100.

Sir you did not over pay. There aren't any around. They all got damaged or thrown away. SEND IT IN TO CGC

Im with JJ.

Sir you did not over pay. There aren't any around. They all got damaged or thrown away. SEND IT IN TO CGC

I did slab it. :) And I don't really think I overpaid; I was just trying to be optimistic for my friend Whisp!

edit: for the record it's probably my favorite book in my whole collection.. :gossip: I'm VERY happy with it. :)

12228f.jpg

Edited by sl4ppy

IIRC, it was my sharing this specific book that finally pushed Whisp over the edge with the variants and give up on his complete MK collection. :(

I personally feel guilty for that and felt underplaying the books value would bolster my argument for him to resume his MK addiction.

Edited by sl4ppy

see my edited post. :)

ps: you're changed name confused me for a few. :)

Me too!

The only way I knew it was LBJARM was by the split spidey sketch in his sig line that used to be his profile pic in negative colors.. :)

IIRC, it was my sharing this specific book that finally pushed Whisp over the edge with the variants and give up on his complete MK collection. :(

I personally feel guilty for that and felt underplaying the books value would bolster my argument for him to resume his MK addiction.

Don't feel guilty man. I was already being pushed over the edge by all the variants in Secret Avengers and Shadowland. Like I said I am mad at Marvel.

To have a complete Moon Knight collection -1 book which was the iron man variant of that series which I was just waiting to drop in price then have them do that with that book was a big slap in my face.

-Marvel gets money to sign up for whatever.

-Person that signed up for whatever makes money back for whatever they signed up for.

-Collector gets kicked in nads.

That's pretty cool. Did you give her the list of comics?

Gemma rocks! She actually did it all herself using ComicDB. Apparently she did it months ago when I first suggested it, and I never noticed. She about hit me over the head in Dallas this weekend when she found out I didn't notice it. :o

Gemma rocks! She actually did it all herself using ComicDB. Apparently she did it months ago when I first suggested it, and I never noticed. She about hit me over the head in Dallas this weekend when she found out I didn't notice it. :o

Do you have the complete set of Moon Knight in CGC?

The first volume, yes. All 9.8 except for a handful which I'm working on. :)

The first volume, yes. All 9.8 except for a handful which I'm working on. :)

Great Job. It takes allot of determination and sacrifice getting those books.

I'm trying to do the same thing but not Moon Knight.