• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

March (May) Madness Grading Contest

251 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man 177 9.0

Amazing Spider-Man 195 9.6

Amazing Spider-Man 312 9.4

Conan 2 8.0

Daredevil 143 9.6

Daredevil 168 8.0

Silver Surfer 6 9.6

Daredevil 158 7.5

Justice League America 94 7.5

Marvel Premiere 25 9.0

Strange Tales 150 8.5

Strange Tales 156 9.2

Tales Of Suspense 56 8.0

Tales To Astonish 80 8.5

Tales To Astonish 100 7.5

X-Men 118 9.2

A few of the books proved to be tough. Out of the 34 entries, no one got the ASM 177 or the DD 158 correct. Interstingly, the average grade guessed on the DD 168, Conan 2, TOS 56 and DD 158 was 9.0. The average grade guessed on the JLA 94 was a wopping 9.0 also!

I gave the Silver Surfer a 7.0 when it was actually a 9.6. I thought there was a crease along the whole bottom of the cover. doh!

silversurfer6.jpg

I thought that was a tear in the URC... :sorry:

...Dust and Hairs :pullhair: gotta make sure the glass is clean on the scanner the rest of the way.
You are doing a great job, and this is very exciting!

I just can't believe I gave a hair a 7.0. It was clearly a 9.6 :grin:

I went back and checked and the day I entered my grades I was on a triple-biorhythm-low... doh!

Pressure's on now... :insane:

I think you are one of the best graders on the boards,maybe you just checked out the books quickly without really going over them.I fear you my friend hm

I will be working on the brackets today and will post it this afternoon- just in time to post it in your office Monday for the office pool. I promise it will make as much sense as the real thing! :insane:

From here on for each round, starting with the four teams in the play-in games, I will post four books. Each team needs to PM me their grades and I will score them as follows:

Guess the grade: 20 points

Guess within .2: 15 points

Guess within .5 or better: 10 points

Guess within .7 or better: 7 points

Guess within 1: 5 points

Bonus:

5 points if you guess two books correctly

15 points if you guess three books correctly

Guess all four and you're DQ'd- This is college ball and you're running up the score! :sumo::jokealert:

OK... I'm totaly confused... :insane:

I thought the 32 players would be seeded in a one round elimination bracket.

What's up with the teams?

Whose on my team?

WHEW! Thanx guys what should we call ourselves? :headbang:

How about The "West Coast Comic Syndicate" ?

WCCS for short. It sounds a little silly, but it's the best I could come up with.

Can you belive I wasted my 1,000th post on this? lol

Have to admit to being REALLY confused here.

i thought each individual player was his own "Team" and the west vs east stuff was just about in which bracket these individuals would play.

I really don't get the "Team Naming" concept these guys are talking about. somebody help............(there aren't enough players for teams..............) (shrug)

Sorry for the confusion. I used the term 'team' when I meant individual....got a little carried away in the 'madness'. :makepoint: This will all be individual head to head competition. Your score, which is tallied after grading the four books I post, will be compared to the score of your opponent. The highest score advances to the next round until a champion is crowned. :acclaim:

All is right with the world. :cloud9:

I went back and checked and the day I entered my grades I was on a triple-biorhythm-low... doh!

I think you are one of the best graders on the boards,maybe you just checked out the books quickly without really going over them.I fear you my friend hm

Not that it's much of an excuse, but I went through it in about a minute or two and gave most of the first half books 9.4 +/- and all the second half books 9.2s... :frustrated:

Pretty retarded...it was morning...must of still had sleep in my eyes... zzz

2 aces NE 12- 4

#1 seed in the NE! :acclaim:

Nicely done! :applause:

1 Oakman SW 13- 3

2 aces NE 12- 4

3 Cap freek SW 12- 4

4 SolitaireOne 12- 4

Buffalo region representin'! 50% of top 4 seeds! NE standing tall ~~ HOO-AH! (thumbs u

Not that it's much of an excuse, but I went through it in about a minute or two and gave most of the first half books 9.4 +/- and all the second half books 9.2s... :frustrated:

Pretty retarded...it was morning...must of still had sleep in my eyes... zzz

I thought so!

Ok, below are the pairings. I have a new appreciation for the guys that put this together for reals. :insane:

My quick color commentating: The clear favorite is Oakman with a strong 13-3 record, all his grades where close and he hit 3 spot on- very solid.

The highest probability for a cinderella story, I would have to say is Marvelcollector. This tournament rewards the spot on grades and he was one of only 3 teams to hit four. Unfortunately, he has to play through a playin game in the Southeast because when he wasn't on, he was way off.

Other players to watch: skao and Comicdonna, who were 11-5 and the only ones to hit 5 spot on. Capfreek and Solitaireone at 12-5 and three spot on grades are also strong.

Who knows, maybe a few players out there were playing it safe and will come up big in the tourney. Good Luck to All. (thumbs u

Bracket.jpg

SolitaireOne's reward for finishing #1 in the NW....

Pirate! :tonofbricks:

2 aces NE 12- 4

#1 seed in the NE! :acclaim:

Nicely done! :applause:

1 Oakman SW 13- 3

2 aces NE 12- 4

3 Cap freek SW 12- 4

4 SolitaireOne 12- 4

Buffalo region representin'! 50% of top 4 seeds! NE standing tall ~~ HOO-AH! (thumbs u

Lets have an all Buffalo final! :wishluck: