• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta's anti-smoking ad

28 posts in this topic

I've never seen this before. Apparently it was scanned from Vampirella 8 (Warren) but appeared in all the Warren mags.

I bet panel 2 convinced more teen-age boys to kick the habit than those little warning labels on cigarette packs.

57876-FrazCigAd.jpg

Jack, boardless hodad

I don't want to offend anyone...but panel 2 is so beautiful. I could stare at it for hours. I pretty much do every time I see it.

R.

I wonder if anyone can calculate the cigarette costs in today's dollars.

If this ad were made today, I bet they would talk about how he's never huffing when he and his girllfriend "Get it on". Also, if they didn't bring up the board, today's ad would talk about how you have "cigarette breath" and that it turns the girls off.

Then again, maybe the folks reading this back then thought girls were yucky... :)

Ah,the 60s. :cloud9: When a pack a day habit ran $128 bucks a year.

Prices in NYC are pushing $8 a pack,and the state tax goes up another buck a pack in a few weeks.A pack a day smoker these days burns thru about $3300

in the City. Maybe $2000 elsewhere.

Glad I quit when I did. :acclaim:

Panel 2 is the girls back shot correct? I must be missing something but I just don't get it, but then again I don't get Ditko either. No wonder most of my original art is for sale, as apparently I don't have an eye for it :sorry:

Jim

I think I have seen this ad throughout my life since I was about 8 yrs. old. (I remember thinking it was Vampirella!)

Panal 2 and 5 have been etched in my memory! :cloud9:

Calculated (not by me) on another group:

"I looked up how much a Liquid Shredder surfboard costs today ($300) and ran it through an inflation calculator. In 1970 it would have cost $55, so they'd have to give up 8.6 cigarettes a day to pay for one in a year."

Jack

Panel 2 is the girls back shot correct? I must be missing something but I just don't get it, but then again I don't get Ditko either. No wonder most of my original art is for sale, as apparently I don't have an eye for it :sorry:

Jim

Curves and dimples my friend....it's all about the shadows.

;)

Smokes are about 25 cent each ($5/pack). That's $1825 a year @ 20/day. They would have to ~3.25 cigarettes/day to pay for it in a year.

Yep...that's a classic -- even the ads in those old Warrens were cool! I'm also pretty sure it was scripted by the late, great Archie Goodwin, and was maybe Frazetta's last comic book-style work? (shrug)

Lotsa talent on tap back in those days...

If this ad were made today, I bet they would talk about how he's never huffing when he and his girllfriend "Get it on". Also, if they didn't bring up the board, today's ad would talk about how you have "cigarette breath" and that it turns the girls off.

Then again, maybe the folks reading this back then thought girls were yucky... :)

Let's see, guy walking away with his arm around the hot babe saying he doesn't get winded...

Stamina's good for more things than surfing.

Let's see, guy walking away with his arm around the hot babe saying he doesn't get winded...

Stamina's good for more things than surfing.

lol

Speaking of thought provoking ads - this one gave me a chuckle when I saw it in the back of the Spectacular Spider-man magazine:

vibratorad.jpg

:insane:I wonder if this ad was for the lonely ladies hm

:roflmao: