• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,448 posts in this topic

Personally speaking I don't see that there is a reason to be worried about pages coming down in price, especially on the secondary market. I'm with James J on this one ;) Collect what you enjoy and the rest of the world can go whistle.

I couldn't agree more.

I never found anything extra special about the first 48 issues. With exception to the Tony Moore issues and a few other key moments.

You need to go back and re-read it then :baiting:

Personally I'm in the boat that the story is A+ up until Alexandria. Then it sinks a bit. I still love it, but it's not quite the same. I think part of this is that TWD was not self aware up until that point. Look at the deaths of Shane & Axel. Kirkman himself said that he killed Shane too soon, had he known how popular the comic would become. Even by the time the Prison assault had happened, he killed Axel because he said it seemed realistic, that people would die. He didn't think about it, or calculate his death. He just said "okay, and then Axel gets shot in the head". That loose writing is what made it so good.

As for the art, now there's something special. Save for a page here or there, the art from the first 48 is just :cloud9: Obviously Moore is in his own league, but Adlard NEVER drew like that again IMO.

Look at this page. Have you seen him draw a hand holding a gun like that, or two character's faces so close, with that amount of detail in the last 75 issues? Because I sure haven't.

DSCF0005_zps19686cc9.jpg

I don't hold it against him, but I certainly appreciate his art when he was firing on all cylinders. 2c

To be honest, I love great art, but I also love comics that are on time. Charlie went through hell to get through 100, so the fact that there are a few details lacking for me is excusable. Wish it were perfect, but that's why pages from pre-49 are so in demand. Well, at least the good ones...

To be honest, I love great art, but I also love comics that are on time. Charlie went through hell to get through 100, so the fact that there are a few details lacking for me is excusable. Wish it were perfect, but that's why pages from pre-49 are so in demand. Well, at least the good ones...

I would rather it get delayed than have the art suffer, personally.

While it is impressive that he's been on the series for so long, it's basically all he's done in the last 10 years. In the history of the medium there are plenty of artists who have worked on much more than one 22pg book a month for an extended period of time.

Hey guys were not suppose to talk about WD OA here. :foryou:

Only here

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5800577&fpart=34

Hey! I started that thread! There can be some bleed-through.. :sorry:

lol

Thank you! That's what I'm sayin. There's just to many WD threads man, I just stick to this one and the TV show one only. There's more talk about OA in here then anywhere else I think.

Only here

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5800577&fpart=34

lol

Thank you! That's what I'm sayin. There's just to many WD threads man, I just stick to this one and the TV show one only. There's more talk about OA in here then anywhere else I think.

The other thread is more about the prices, the market, sales, ect. We're talking aesthetics here! We don't care about the prices in this thread because we love TWD no matter what :sumo:

Only here

lol

The other thread is more about the prices, the market, sales, ect. We're talking aesthetics here! We don't care about the prices in this thread because we love TWD no matter what :sumo:

Oooooohhhhhhh I've had it all wrong this whole time then. See what do I know? doh!

Only here

lol

Oooooohhhhhhh I've had it all wrong this whole time then. See what do I know? doh!

lol

I'd be a hypocrite if I said I've never talked about prices here.

Now don't hate me but I started collecting around issue 6 and quit around issue 30 something because I couldn't tell who was who in the prison. I felt the artwork had gone too far downhill, and I felt the story was progressing way too slow. I think overall the art has been inconsistent all throughout. (I read them all since)

Sometimes amazing, other times, cringe worthy. But that is a nice shot of Rick though.

Shanes death is what really struck me about the comic and made me collect it, but most of my favorite pieces aside from 1-6, are after issue 47. 48 is filled with lots of great stuff. I do like the Zombie heads in the fish tanks, first Michonne, but otherwise not too much else.

Most of my favorite stuff comes outside of that gap, and I love some of Negans expressions, not to mention some of the great covers like 50, 81 or 106.

I feel lucky to have grabbed my favorite recent panel in the last few years and I was blown away with some of the pages from 127. It was a turning point for me which made me want to grab more.

YpKd4EHE_1506140322201.jpg

Edited by Rip

Now don't hate me but I started collecting around issue 6 and quit around issue 30 something because I couldn't tell who was who in the prison. I felt the artwork had gone too far downhill, and I felt the story was progressing way too slow. I think overall the art has been inconsistent all throughout. (I read them all since)

Sometimes amazing, other times, cringe worthy. But that is a nice shot of Rick though.

Shanes death is what really struck me about the comic and made me collect it, but most of my favorite pieces aside from 1-6, are after issue 47. 48 is filled with lots of great stuff. I do like the Zombie heads in the fish tanks, first Michonne, but otherwise not too much else.

Most of my favorite stuff comes outside of that gap, and I love some of Negans expressions, not to mention some of the great covers like 50, 81 or 106.

I feel lucky to have grabbed my favorite recent panel in the last few years and I was blown away with some of the pages from 127. It was a turning point for me which made me want to grab more.

YpKd4EHE_1506140322201.jpg

That's a great page!

I do agree on the Negan faces now that you mention it.

I would have love to pick up a post-115 page, but I prefer art on one board. The art has certainly gotten better since Gaudiano helped take over the inks. That's for sure!

I never understood the who's who argument though. I never had trouble identifying people until after issue 70. And even then, it was more that the detail had lessened so what could you expect. The Abraham death splash for example. I wouldn't mind owning it, but I cringed when I first saw that page.

I wonder if part of it has to do with reading it month by month vs reading a trade where you don't have to wait. Also I read a lot of comics during a month, so I suspect that has something to do with it as well.

My take on the Talking Zombie thing. I think it was some people who were in the zombie horde covered in zombie muck like rick did before as a way to disguise.. they never saw them, only heard the talking.

It's definitely a red herring. Or hiding in a ravine on the other side (etc, etc).

Patrick

Thought you guys might enjoy this...

From one of my artists I represent Corbyn Kern

(You can see more of his work in the SS forum and let's just say for now...on a lot of cool things that you'll see in publication...

Anyways...

Enjoy...

424CF97A-3045-4A7C-A279-902609BC7F9E-2908-000002A6A4CEC03B_zps1b39e4dd.jpg