• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Was planning on my first actual Baker St John romance book to be CL 25, but thought it would be unwise to pass this one up at the LCS for $30....

:applause:Great score! (..and so much for non Romance Baker only :D)

..Can't say i blame you.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Out of touch local clientele too... I know for a fact this book has been sitting amongst 25 boxes of consignment books behind the counter for at least 2 years, likely many many more.  I just never had the time till today to ask them hey...can you grab those for me to look through one by one please?.... part of my wife's birthday gift to me was to give me the day off from the kids today and allow me 5 or 6 hours to do whatever I wanted.  I ran to this store and spent every minute there digging through all of it.  Found 3 other nice buys but this was the score of the day by far.

You suck!  You know that, right?  You go there and don't even invite me to join you...:whatthe:  Of course, I might have found it first...:D  That's the same store where I got the $5 TAR 36...I wonder what else is in there?

Finally got around to getting this one graded.  I had to shell out $350 to win it as a raw GD+ on eBay back in the fall of 2014.  It was the book that convinced me that completing the Baker St John romance run wasn't going to be cheap even if I settled for some lower grade copies. I subsequently picked up a bad guys' 5.5 copy for significantly more dough. 

2017-12-29-0001_zps5jxae95d.JPG

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I was interested in seeing what the CGC graders would make of the writing on the cover of this one.  It's a nice, bright copy (although a bit less bright than my scanner settings make it seem).  I'm satisfied with the grade.

2017-12-28-0001_zpsjqcmydgk.JPG

I have been pining for a copy of this one for a while and that one is beautiful. I have always found it odd that writing on the cover gets barely a half grade downturn but if there were a nearly invisible stain its 2 points shaved right off. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

30 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree.  The way they hammer water stains --even teeny tiny ones -- is my biggest objection by far to their current grading standards.  My second biggest is probably that they don't take off enough for rusty staples, even when there has been rust migration. 

I had an 8.5 not long ago with HEAVY rust and migration on staples. I mean the book was a 9.2 otherwise but if it would have been a stain, trust me, the grade would have been 6.5.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree.  The way they hammer water stains --even teeny tiny ones -- is my biggest objection by far to their current grading standards.  My second biggest is probably that they don't take off enough for rusty staples, even when there has been rust migration. 

Now, now...rust is not that big a problem...at least, I don't mind it...compared to marvel chipping (which they evidently think is just great) rust is nuthin'...

You gotta think about rust...why is it there?  Where was the book stored?  Maybe in the basement of a serial killers house...and that makes the book much more interesting.  I think points should be "added" for rust, just for the mystery factor...:insane:

You know...who determined the rules anyway?  Rich collectors with a lot of high grade books?  Rich collectors wanting to get richer at the expense of poor collectors...?  Sounds like the American way...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

The Sixth Street books were stored in a basement and some of them suffer from significant staple rust -- and coal dust.  Kind of reminds me of A Christmas Story.  I wonder if anyone (at least in an urban area) still uses a coal furnace?