• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2023 at 1:24 PM, Darwination said:

Oh, my, love the bottom sketch.  I'm not sure I've seen the last two of these.  Where do they come from?  I recently picked up Manhunt v01n08 and found no Baker (reading it as my gym book this week) which leaves me with I believe one remaining St. John digest I haven't seen with a decent possibility to contain his art (Verdict v01n01).

Both from Nugget Magazine #1

On 11/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, Yorick said:

Only the first four Manhunts that I've found.  Baker is given an art editor credit in the first issue.  If you go for the UK copies, they don't publish the illustrations with a color wash.

ManhuntBakerEDIT1.thumb.jpg.d6289f8a9df189996f6bd3fd396f999d.jpg

You guys don't look at the prior 659 pages of this thread?  All of this is in there....  :whistle:  :bigsmile:

The poor brits. I always feel compelled to donate boxes of color comics to their orphanages :yeehaw:

On 11/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, Darwination said:

The poor brits. I always feel compelled to donate boxes of color comics to their orphanages :yeehaw:

Poor me!  Here I am, buying up as much of their black and white goodness as possible!

CR (4).JPG

On 11/18/2023 at 4:04 PM, Changer said:

Good memory , maybe or maybe trade ?  its still lovely so trying to decide if I pull a comiccav and start hoarding lol 

It is lovely. I found your collection accidentally on MySlabbedComics while looking for Baker stuff via image search.

Edited by LadyDeath

On 11/20/2023 at 2:50 AM, comicnoir said:

Well it is #3 in Overstreet's top 10 romance, and it doesn't show up that often. Coupled with the girl's jutting profile and you've got demand. I got my copy around that same time from Harley for $180.00, so I got lucky He had another copy for $300.00 I should have bought. Here's mine.

Nice. What you paid is roughly in line with the other Bakers you got back then. But on Heritage in 2006, I didn't think the market existed for a Baker romance comic to net $1400. Figured at that time the only book tied to his name fetching hefty prices was PL 17, mainly due to its association with SOTI. I stand corrected. Some other noteworthy older sales:

1.JPG

2.jpg

Edited by LadyDeath

On 11/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, LadyDeath said:

Is this one of the rarest Bakers? Insane price for 2006.

Capture.JPG

I don’t think it super rare but very desirable and most copies are locked up in collections. A very pretty book with great composition. One of my favorites but still pales under #12 which I consider his best. Glad I found my copies when no one was looking for them.