• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2023 at 11:30 AM, Robot Man said:

I recently found a few Baker western books buried in some GA western boxes. I was shocked when I saw the prices I had on them. I quickly released them from their yellowed bags, put them in shiny mylars and of course “adjusted” their prices…

Obviously, nobody wanted them at their previous prices. :roflmao:

The Hawk?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3fb14a17a65901289bc42b371ebbdf95.jpg

Stumbled across this one at eBay tonight and am like, Baker, really? The box says so, cough.

But maybe possible? An article on BC from just last year makes an argument for some sort of proof or portfolio piece or something.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/leslie-charteris-and-the-mystery-of-avons-the-saint-4-at-auction/

I'm gonna stick with no.  What's the consensus on this one?

On 11/14/2023 at 11:18 PM, Darwination said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3fb14a17a65901289bc42b371ebbdf95.jpg

Stumbled across this one at eBay tonight and am like, Baker, really? The box says so, cough.

But maybe possible? An article on BC from just last year makes an argument for some sort of proof or portfolio piece or something.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/leslie-charteris-and-the-mystery-of-avons-the-saint-4-at-auction/

I'm gonna stick with no.  What's the consensus on this one?

That is not Baker art. And it would be nice for the Bleeding Cool author to point out exactly "the undeniably "Bakerish" aspects to the piece overall". I do not see them.

Without a scintilla of proof, he also states, "Baker's involvement in this cover is certainly possible, and perhaps more likely than not." 

Edited by MBFan
Added article quotes.

The Saint #4 -- It's a lovely cover, and we've posted it here/argued about it here enough that I kinda sorta want one. But yeah, the formal poses/layout and the super-tight inking style are iffy at best. It doesn't feel Baker to me.

So what is the deal with Overstreet (I assume that is where the ID comes from) and all of the Baker misidentifications?

The way artist identification works is that an expert (who often will have an intense focus on a particular artist or area and is also armed with the knowledge of what artists worked for what publishers or titles and when) makes an ID when absolutely positive. Otherwise, we use words like "probable" "likely" "suspected" or "possible." In comics, it is more complicated because of interplay between pencils and inks and studio work but the same rules apply, and we openly discuss the possibilities.

The Baker misidentification situation is perpetually ridiculous and unique, is there an origin story?