• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

He was a prolific cover artist and St. John's go to guy, so he probably made a decent living, but probably peanuts compared to Dave Stevens who was a more recent equivalent.

When you think about how much Kirby cranked out and that he was a superstar for decades, yet seemed to live a fairly modest life considering, I don't think any of these guys were living high back then.

Does anyone know what page rate Baker was paid? and for covers?

According to "The Art of Glamour" interview, he was paid $35 per page for pencils, inks and lettering.

Did he make more than Schomburg or less for his covers? I don't know but he should have made an equal amount. He was also responsible for the entire package as art director. When Schomburg worked for Harvey, the covers were sometimes described separately in the text stories. It seemed like St. Johns treated Baker fairly but Fox ripped off everyone. Fiction House was a shop that took a percentage of everyone's paycheck.

The average wage in the U.S. in 1955 was $3300, and including covers over 300 pages of MB art were published in books cover dated that year ( I realize not exactly the same thing, but still roughly a years output). While he didn't ink all of them, and I don't know what year that page rate represents, it's safe to say at his peak, he was probably making at two or three times the average wage. In other words, new Cadillac money.

Baker worked for Jerry Iger where he was basically exploited (along with everybody else), but you get the idea Archer St. John treated him fairly. He gave him position in his company and had at least one picture taken with Matt, where he's on his knees next to Baker. Maybe it was just good business, but St. John seemed like a descent man.

Edited by comixnoir

Since GCE 12 is the topic, here are a couple of others...

GiantComicsEdition13front_zpsb132332e.jpg

GiantComicsEdition15front_zpsf3288b8e.jpg

Who is this "Bumble Kitty", stepping out of the shadows with the highest graded GCE 13 and, if the rest of the book looks anything like the GORGEOUS front cover, what would be the highest graded GCE 15?

Who is this "Bumble Kitty", stepping out of the shadows with the highest graded GCE 13 and, if the rest of the book looks anything like the GORGEOUS front cover, what would be the highest graded GCE 15?

As time goes on, "Bumble Kitty" is the guy who is looking more and more like his father. As for the GCE 15, I think CGC would grade it at 7.0. I would think there has to be some higher grade copies out there somewhere.

I'm going to check out the rest of my Baker stash and see what I can post.

As for the GCE 15, I think CGC would grade it at 7.0. I would think there has to be some higher grade copies out there somewhere.

I'm going to check out the rest of my Baker stash and see what I can post.

Maybe, but maybe not. It's a big world for sure - but those squarebounds are a beotch to find in grade and dats the truth. Your copy is killer.

As far as show and tell - bring it on Bumble. It's time your stash got the attention it deserves.

I think that's too low. I'm guessing it will be more like $8,000. If it were the highest graded -- there's an 8.0 out there -- I think it could have gone over $10,000.

Nice books. My copies of those two are pretty raggedy.