• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,614 posts in this topic

Back in 2007, I submitted a Fine-ish copy of Cinderella Love #25 to CGC. It was returned ungraded, "due to a top edge overhang".

Now I have a copy I believe would probably grade at 8.0, but the top edge of the cover overhangs the book by exactly the same degree as the copy I submitted in 2007, and that has been the main reason I have never submitted it.

However, with CGC's new encapsulation method, I don't think the overhang would even be an issue anymore, since the whole book is now free-floating in the slab and supposedly doesn't even come in contact with any internal edges.

So now, I'm giving it some serious consideration...

cl25Ja_zps0f692440.jpg

cl25Ja_zps0f692440.jpg

My absolute favorite Baker cover... one day... :cloud9:

I've told this tale before, but since it's filled with such hope and optimism, I'll tell it again:

I spent many, many years looking for a copy of CL #25... basically, it was the first Baker romance cover I fell in love with, ever since I saw it pictured in the 10th ed. of Overstreet (1980). Of course, that was many years before the convenience of eBay and the Internet.

My first copy came from eBay in 2003. It was about a Fine/Fine+. It was a nice copy, but not the best color strike. So I still wanted to upgrade.

Then in 2008 came the copy I posted above. And where did I find it? It came from a collection found right here in my hometown, by the owner of our closest local comic shop! I had to drive literally less than five miles to buy it. And the price was very reasonable, especially by today's standard.

There's also a gorgeous True Love Pictorial #2 CGC 7.0 coming up in the Spring ComicLink auction. Evidently, the highest graded copy is a 7.5, but I think my raw copy might just top that:

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

Cool book! Is that a pedigree? The markings look kinda familiar.

There's also a gorgeous True Love Pictorial #2 CGC 7.0 coming up in the Spring ComicLink auction. Evidently, the highest graded copy is a 7.5, but I think my raw copy might just top that:

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

That's what I thought, too. But it's from no pedigree collection that I'm aware of.

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

That's what I thought, too. But it's from no pedigree collection that I'm aware of.

Could be an Aurora.

tlp2_zpsdd30b403.jpg

Could be an Aurora.

My first thought was Aurora. I've seen a few with the large grease pencil markings like that. I passed on the Aurora Famous Funnies 215 when Harley had it because the marking was so prominent in the center of the cover and the asking price was $4,000. Best colors I have seen on that book though. Probably should have bought it.

Back in 2007, I submitted a Fine-ish copy of Cinderella Love #25 to CGC. It was returned ungraded, "due to a top edge overhang".

Now I have a copy I believe would probably grade at 8.0, but the top edge of the cover overhangs the book by exactly the same degree as the copy I submitted in 2007, and that has been the main reason I have never submitted it.

However, with CGC's new encapsulation method, I don't think the overhang would even be an issue anymore, since the whole book is now free-floating in the slab and supposedly doesn't even come in contact with any internal edges.

cl25Ja_zps0f692440.jpg

A stellar copy, indeed! :golfclap:

cl25Ja_zps0f692440.jpg

A stellar copy, indeed! :golfclap:

+1

Stellar copy that could easily be an 8.0.