• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Did he beat you over the head with your guide and whine about the "good old days"?

That stuff just never gets old... lol  Actually, he quoted me prices and I said OK...Sqeggs knows what he's doing, and he isn't greedy.  He sold me some books for as little as $50 - $65.  You don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

Edited by tricolorbrian

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Did he beat you over the head with your guide and whine about the "good old days"?

After I agreed to sell at guide prices, it turned out he was using the 1992 guide. :frustrated:

1 hour ago, BB-Gun said:

It is kind of fun to see the Baker art in black and white.  Someone posted scans of Teenage Romances 19.

32904465185_ed84bf7c92_b.jpg

Oh my goodness!  A rare treat to see this.  Who is this "someone" and how do I pester them to sell it?!

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

Oh my goodness!  A rare treat to see this.  Who is this "someone" and how do I pester them to sell it?!

The inside covers had a story in black in white.  I just cleaned it up.  It isn't original art if that is what you are thinking about.  There isn't enough of that stuff out there but you can find a few recreations.

I posed this in my journal, but I know many here don't venture to that part of the boards so I thought I'd repost it here.  

Matt Baker Win and Loss

I bid on a couple Matt Baker auctions on eBay yesterday.  Both were low grade but complete and with covers that presented well.  I lost the first auction for Teenage Temptations 4.  My max bid was $175 and it ended at $178.  I always hate losing an auction when my max price is so close to the ending price.  I always think, if I just made my max bid $180 I would have won it.  But that's a fallacy of course.  Because the other bidder might have had a higher max bid too,

didnt%20win%20178_zps2hb1qggn.jpg

The next one I won, Teenage Temptations 6.  Again my max was $175, and this one closed at $108.  I'm not surprised the other one closed higher.  You don't see TT 4 at auction as much as TT 6.  In retrospect I'm relieved the TT6 closed at $108, as I think my max bid of $175 was too high for the book.

Here's an update on my goal to get a copy of every comic with a cover by Matt Baker.  On my list is 293 comics.  The one I just won, TT6, is my 100th Baker.  Of those 100 comics, 33 are graded.  So far I've spent a total of $11,346 on this collection, for an average of $113 per comic.  The most I've spent is $510 for Cinderella Love 15.  The least is $4 for Romantic Secrets (Charlton) #4.

won_zpsr3l3j4aw.jpg

On 2/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, BB-Gun said:

It is kind of fun to see the Baker art in black and white.  Someone posted scans of Teenage Romances 19.

32904465185_ed84bf7c92_b.jpg

Noticed that Baker had an admirer at Charlton, swipe of the top left panel 

RXWbEF.jpg

39 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I posed this in my journal, but I know many here don't venture to that part of the boards so I thought I'd repost it here.  

Matt Baker Win and Loss

I bid on a couple Matt Baker auctions on eBay yesterday.  Both were low grade but complete and with covers that presented well.  I lost the first auction for Teenage Temptations 4.  My max bid was $175 and it ended at $178.  I always hate losing an auction when my max price is so close to the ending price.  I always think, if I just made my max bid $180 I would have won it.  But that's a fallacy of course.  Because the other bidder might have had a higher max bid too,

The next one I won, Teenage Temptations 6.  Again my max was $175, and this one closed at $108.  I'm not surprised the other one closed higher.  You don't see TT 4 at auction as much as TT 6.  In retrospect I'm relieved the TT6 closed at $108, as I think my max bid of $175 was too high for the book.

Here's an update on my goal to get a copy of every comic with a cover by Matt Baker.  On my list is 293 comics.  The one I just won, TT6, is my 100th Baker.  Of those 100 comics, 33 are graded.  So far I've spent a total of $11,346 on this collection, for an average of $113 per comic.  The most I've spent is $510 for Cinderella Love 15.  The least is $4 for Romantic Secrets (Charlton) #4.

won_zpsr3l3j4aw.jpg

Love the #4 "Trailer Girl". Probably why it went higher. Lofty goal to complete the Baker covers these days. Gotta have deep pockets for sure. Does your list include all his covers or just the romance ones? They seem to get all the love while the other stuff which in some cases is a lot better than the romance ones slip under the radar.

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

Matt Baker Win and Loss

won_zpsr3l3j4aw.jpg

I like the pie in the sky prices being asked by a couple other sellers on ebay for #4...Over $400 for a FA/G- and over $500 for a VG...looks like those auctions might have been a reality check... lol

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Love the #4 "Trailer Girl". Probably why it went higher. Lofty goal to complete the Baker covers these days. Gotta have deep pockets for sure. Does your list include all his covers or just the romance ones? They seem to get all the love while the other stuff which in some cases is a lot better than the romance ones slip under the radar.

My list also includes the non-romance comics.  As you can imagine, they are much easier to get for the most part.  Also, here is Romantic Secrets 19 -- I think I mistakenly said #4 in my original post.

Romantic Secrets 19 $4.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

4 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Matt Baker Win and Loss

won_zpsr3l3j4aw.jpg

TAT 4 is a tough book.  Its scarcity (only two on the census) plus the cool cover means it usually goes for good money.  

59 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

My list also includes the non-romance comics.  As you can imagine, they are much easier to get for the most part.  Also, here is Romantic Secrets 19 -- I think I mistakenly said #4 in my original post.

Romantic Secrets 19 $4.jpg

just asking - how does this Romantic Secrets 19 make your Baker list?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:
50 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

TAT 4 is a tough book.  Its scarcity (only two on the census) plus the cool cover means it usually goes for good money.  

I couldn't give my PGX TAT 4 away.  Why was that I wonder?

Wasn't the pq iffy?  Not that there's anything the matter with that! :)

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I just checked my records, I guess the price wasn't too bad considering the label.  $206 to Lone Star, and the PQ was OWW but presented darker in the slab, and it probably was Cream at best.  I think I was trying to get at least $400 on Ebay and elsewhere, and it just wasn't happening.

Just now, Dr. Love said:
10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I just checked my records, I guess the price wasn't too bad considering the label.  $206 to Lone Star, and the PQ was OWW but presented darker in the slab, and it probably was Cream at best.  I think I was trying to get at least $400 on Ebay and elsewhere, and it just wasn't happening.

If I'm remembering it correctly, I was afraid that it might even go to light tan on a CGC regrade.  Otherwise it was a nice looking copy of a tough book. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

If I'm remembering it correctly, I was afraid that it might even go to light tan on a CGC regrade.  Otherwise it was a nice looking copy of a tough book. 

true that, I was nervous about a CPR myself.  Kept going back and forth, I've had pretty good luck with PGX cracks, but something told me not to spin the dice on that book.  Though I was sorely tempted.  That's quite the memory for books you've got there, sparky.