• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,390 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_2185.jpgimage.jpg

I know I have discussed this before but I have found these two to be the toughest. A raw 4.0 Teen-Age Romances 11 sold for $1200 recently. :gossip:

I was fortunate to pick up the TAR11 3.0 on the census.  I sold a xerox cover/complete interior to a guy who may have bought that incomplete copy (but with the cover) on ebay a few weeks ago.

TAR9 is my kryptonite, and I had to pay over 600 for the 2.0 on Heritage.  I should have just paid 3k for the 8.0 on ebay several months back.

Nice TAR45!

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_2185.jpg

Definitely a tough one.  I have this one and a raw I bought a while back from Harley. It came from an extensive romance collection that the OO kept in very nice shape ... but, unfortunately, she also wrote her name on each book in dark blue ink. Could be a 9.0 marked down to 7.0, or so, because of the writing. 

fc548945-3b1d-423b-be81-fa13ebf209b1_zps

2 hours ago, Yorick said:
9 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

I don't see this one posted much.  Is it rare too?  got mine from Joe Naaca in the 90s for $15.

16573443321_b799cf7d96_c.jpg

I think this one is tougher to find than the TAT4.

Definitely both tough, but in the last year or two several copies of TAR 39 have sold, so I think I would rate TAT 4 a bit above it on the toughness meter.

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Definitely a tough one.  I have this one and a raw I bought a while back from Harley. It came from an extensive romance collection that the OO kept in very nice shape ... but, unfortunately, she also wrote her name on each book in dark blue ink. Could be a 9.0 marked down to 7.0, or so, because of the writing. 

fc548945-3b1d-423b-be81-fa13ebf209b1_zps

Oh my!  With Off-white pages too!!!

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I have this copy of TAR 39.  Brighter than the scan makes it look.

16ad27a2-a212-42e3-bbc1-2f6e902eea6e_zps

My first submission 39 came back 4.0.  I bought the copy on ebay from Bakerfan last year.  It looks slightly better and I intend on getting it graded soon.

Just now, Sqeggs said:

She drops by every now and then, but I think she's sold most of her Bakers.  I bought one off her on eBay a couple of years ago.

She really helped me out several years back getting some super nice Bakers, and I notice that apparently this is her forum topic.

1 minute ago, Yorick said:
3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

She drops by every now and then, but I think she's sold most of her Bakers.  I bought one off her on eBay a couple of years ago.

She really helped me out several years back getting some super nice Bakers, and I notice that apparently this is her forum topic.

I think she last posted in it six months to a year ago, but she doesn't come by regularly, unfortunately. 

Well yeah, I won the GCE 12.  My max bid started at $1500, went to $2000 and finally settled in at $2500.  I decided to go for it because, even though the edges were ragged and there was writing along the top, I thought the colors were bright and the art clear.  Also, my big collecting goal this year is to get a copy of FF 1.  I'm looking for a low grade copy at  a reasonable price.  I've struck out so far but I had some money to spend so I decided to go for this.  Now I can cross this one off my list.

As I do whenever I buy an expensive comic -- when I buy at the top of the market -- I have some buyer's remorse.  Especially when the comic has the issues this one has.  But, I know from experience those feelings eventually go away.  In my collecting life (going on 40+ years of active collecting now), the only deals I've regretted (where the regret has stuck with me) are the ones I passed on.  I remember years ago at a SDCC buying TOS 39 and Sensation 1 (back then, the Sensation was the driver for the deal with the TOS thrown in at a discount).  I had to run back to my hotel room for cash and it completely drained my funds for the con.  I remember walking back to the con thinking "why the f* am I doing this?"  Years later, they made Iron Man movies and now I can sell that TOS 39 for a down payment on a pretty nice car.  And, the early appearance of WW is looking pretty good now (although, ahem, perhaps not as good Gal Gadot).  My point is, our hobby is a pretty good investment too.  That's what I tell my wife when I spend money on comics.  She always looks skeptically at me though because she knows I won't sell, unless things get really bad (Knock on wood).

Edited by n2wdw

3 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

Well yeah, I won the GCE 12.  My max bid started at $1500, went to $2000 and finally settled in at $2500.  I decided to go for it because, even though the edges were ragged and there was writing along the top, I thought the colors were bright and the art clear.  Also, my big collecting goal this year is to get a copy of FF 1.  I'm looking for a low grade copy at  a reasonable price.  I've struck out so far but I had some money to spend so I decided to go for this.  Now I can cross this one off my list.

As I do whenever I buy an expensive comic -- when I buy at the top of the market -- I have some buyer's remorse.  Especially when the comic has the issues this one has.  But, I know from experience those feelings eventually go away.  In my collecting life (going on 40+ years of active collecting now), the only deals I've regretted (where the regret has stuck with me) are the ones I passed on.  I remember years ago at a SDCC buying TOS 39 and Sensation 1.  I had to run back to my hotel room for cash and it completely drained my funds for the con.  I remember walking back to the con thinking "why the f* am I doing this?"  Years later, they made Iron Man movies and now I can sell that TOS 39 for a down payment on a pretty nice car.  And, the early appearance of WW is looking pretty good now (although, ahem, perhaps not as good Gal Gadot).  My point is, our hobby is a pretty good investment too.  That's what I tell my wife when I spend money on comics.  She always looks skeptically at me though because she knows I won't sell, unless things get really bad (Knock on wood).

Unspeakably jealous of that GCE12!  Just keep in mind that the interiors vary from issue to issue so you've likely got a one-of-a-kind!

5 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

As I do whenever I buy an expensive comic -- when I buy at the top of the market -- I have some buyer's remorse.  Especially when the comic has the issues this one has.  But, I know from experience those feelings eventually go away.  In my collecting life (going on 40+ years of active collecting now), the only deals I've regretted (where the regret has stuck with me) are the ones I passed on.  I remember years ago at a SDCC buying TOS 39 and Sensation 1 (back then, the Sensation was the driver for the deal with the TOS thrown in at a discount).  I had to run back to my hotel room for cash and it completely drained my funds for the con.  I remember walking back to the con thinking "why the f* am I doing this?"  Years later, they made Iron Man movies and now I can sell that TOS 39 for a down payment on a pretty nice car.  And, the early appearance of WW is looking pretty good now (although, ahem, perhaps not as good Gal Gadot).  My point is, our hobby is a pretty good investment too.  That's what I tell my wife when I spend money on comics.  She always looks skeptically at me though because she knows I won't sell, unless things get really bad (Knock on wood).

Don't know if it would convince your wife, but I'm pretty sure that if you had that book graded and consigned it to one of the auction houses, you would more than make your money back.