• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,351 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, tricolorbrian said:

Here's a Baker I found in a comic shop.  It already had the tape on the cover (wrong tape too).  I got it for $5.  They used the right tape on the spine, and the wrong tape horizontally.  I would not have put the tape on the front cover though...whoever did this was a hack...

16549106166_7ef94d627f_c.jpg

Now, here's an example of a book I got recently for $3.  It had a tear below Henry's right arm.  I taped it and now you can barely see it...but the book was only a VG or less anyway due to brittle covers.  Maybe i should start a comic taping business...:whatthe:

30837458120_ab908d90d3_c.jpg

Nice buy on that Teen-Age Romances!

11 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

TAT 4 is a book I still have not picked up.  Guess I'm still waiting for just the right copy at just the right price.  I do have one of these, though, which I believe ought to grade at about 7.0.  Most of my nice Bakers have yet to be slabbed.  tar39Ja_zpsb26e84de.jpg

Nice copy...(thumbsu

23 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Here's my TaT 4. I got this from Joanna long time ago.

teen-age temptations 4 (1).jpeg

Joanna :cloud9:

..... she hooked me up with a Venus 19 once..... we don't have a lot of Gal Boardies, but, man, do we have some awesome ones.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/18/2017 at 9:11 AM, 29dukedog said:

TAT 4 is a book I still have not picked up.  Guess I'm still waiting for just the right copy at just the right price.  I do have one of these, though, which I believe ought to grade at about 7.0.  Most of my nice Bakers have yet to be slabbed.  tar39Ja_zpsb26e84de.jpg

Fantastic!  Think it'll grade that high with the roughed/impacted base?  I got a TAR40 back from CGC last year that I thought was going to earn about the same (6 - 7) and they didn't seem to think so.  Here, what do you think?

Teen-Age Romances 40 (546x800).jpg

58 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Fantastic!  Think it'll grade that high with the roughed/impacted base?  I got a TAR40 back from CGC last year that I thought was going to earn about the same (6 - 7) and they didn't seem to think so.  Here, what do you think?

That looks like an easy 7.0.................. I'd think even 8.0....GOD BLESS....

10 hours ago, jimjum12 said:
11 hours ago, Yorick said:

That looks like an easy 7.0.................. I'd think even 8.0....GOD BLESS....

Me, too.  Unless the book suffers from a secret sorrow on the back cover or interior. 

11 hours ago, Yorick said:

I'm by no means an expert on CGC grading standards.  Actual results have surprised me in both directions.  I believe the final grade is a balancing between what's wrong with the book and what's right with it.  In the case of my TR 39, the bottom edge problems are the worst flaws on the book.  But CGC doesn't allow a book's worst flaws to be the final arbitrator of the overall grade.  The extreme example of this is the Qualified grade.  But the same principle is at work all the time.   

Your TR 40 does look real nice, but a scan doesn't reveal everything that might be wrong with a book.  What grade did it actually receive?  And, why do you think it graded lower than you expected? 

11 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

That book is a 5.0.  Butterface.  If you're coming in 2 full grades under, that's a wakeup call, brother.  Last year they were tight, but not like OMG tight.

That book is a 5.0:whatthe:

Edited by Sqeggs
Even lower!!

41 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
On 2/17/2017 at 8:56 PM, Yorick said:

Here's a copy of an ex-Joanna book:

Secrets of True Love (617x800).jpg

I have one of those too. Could this be Baker's last published work?

comsecretsoftruelove_zpsb8dq3bc5.jpg

For St. John, I'm pretty sure that it is.

He had stories in Gunsmoke Western 56, My Own Romance 73, Unusual Tales 20, and Strange Suspense Stories 45, all with cover dates of Jan 1960.  His very last published original story (I think!) was in Strange Suspense Stories 47, with a cover date of May 1960.  Those issues were all on the stands after his death in August 1959. 

There are Baker stories in First Love Illustrated 89 (cover date Nov 1962) and 90 (cover date Feb 1963), but I think those are reprints. 

Calling Dr. Love for a fact check! :)

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Me, too.  Unless the book suffers from a secret sorrow on the back cover or interior. 

The secret sorrow is that subscription fold that breaks color from her ring finger down to the bottom (BARELY visible).  I wish I could upload a large file size so you could really get a better image....

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I'm by no means an expert on CGC grading standards.  Actual results have surprised me in both directions.  I believe the final grade is a balancing between what's wrong with the book and what's right with it.  In the case of my TR 39, the bottom edge problems are the worst flaws on the book.  But CGC doesn't allow a book's worst flaws to be the final arbitrator of the overall grade.  The extreme example of this is the Qualified grade.  But the same principle is at work all the time.   

Your TR 40 does look real nice, but a scan doesn't reveal everything that might be wrong with a book.  What grade did it actually receive?  And, why do you think it graded lower than you expected? 

Brian was real close.  It received a 5.0.  I just did not see the amount of accumulated defects that would bring this down to 5.

3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

That book is a 5.0.  Butterface.  If you're coming in 2 full grades under, that's a wakeup call, brother.  Last year they were tight, but not like OMG tight.

Oh!  Looks like you got it right on.  Should have been looking at all these posts rather than just the prior page....