• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,351 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Don't know if it would convince your wife, but I'm pretty sure that if you had that book graded and consigned it to one of the auction houses, you would more than make your money back. 

Plus, if you just use magic tape on the inside of the covers to fix those tears it will improve the looks, and CGC will not downgrade for tape that serves a purpose...

Just now, tricolorbrian said:
4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Don't know if it would convince your wife, but I'm pretty sure that if you had that book graded and consigned it to one of the auction houses, you would more than make your money back. 

Plus, if you just use magic tape on the inside of the covers to fix those tears it will improve the looks, and CGC will not downgrade for tape that serves a purpose...

:makepoint:

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

Well yeah, I won the GCE 12.  My max bid started at $1500, went to $2000 and finally settled in at $2500.  I decided to go for it because, even though the edges were ragged and there was writing along the top, I thought the colors were bright and the art clear.  Also, my big collecting goal this year is to get a copy of FF 1.  I'm looking for a low grade copy at  a reasonable price.  I've struck out so far but I had some money to spend so I decided to go for this.  Now I can cross this one off my list.

As I do whenever I buy an expensive comic -- when I buy at the top of the market -- I have some buyer's remorse.  Especially when the comic has the issues this one has.  But, I know from experience those feelings eventually go away.  In my collecting life (going on 40+ years of active collecting now), the only deals I've regretted (where the regret has stuck with me) are the ones I passed on.  I remember years ago at a SDCC buying TOS 39 and Sensation 1 (back then, the Sensation was the driver for the deal with the TOS thrown in at a discount).  I had to run back to my hotel room for cash and it completely drained my funds for the con.  I remember walking back to the con thinking "why the f* am I doing this?"  Years later, they made Iron Man movies and now I can sell that TOS 39 for a down payment on a pretty nice car.  And, the early appearance of WW is looking pretty good now (although, ahem, perhaps not as good Gal Gadot).  My point is, our hobby is a pretty good investment too.  That's what I tell my wife when I spend money on comics.  She always looks skeptically at me though because she knows I won't sell, unless things get really bad (Knock on wood).

Congrats on your purchase! I'm in the club myself. (My copy was obtained many years ago) It is one of my most favorite books. It is king of the Baker books in my opinion. You will never be sorry you bought it. Hang on to it and enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, tricolorbrian said:

well, I mean, what harm can some tape do to a 1.8 book?

Depends on the tape, I suppose.  As long as it doesn't turn the paper yellow - you could buy some archival stuff.  Although, if you used archival tape, would CGC then grade it as amateur restoration?

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Depends on the tape, I suppose.  As long as it doesn't turn the paper yellow - you could buy some archival stuff.  Although, if you used archival tape, would CGC then grade it as amateur restoration?

Yes, they would.  I would use the magic tape...not the regular tape.  You know, the kind that is supposed to be invisible, but really isn't.  I have used it on the inside of a cover on cheap, low-grade books.  It does not affect a low grade at all...but the book looks a lot better...

Now, having said that...I don't think I would really recommend it for a $2,300 book... :insane:

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

Well yeah, I won the GCE 12.  My max bid started at $1500, went to $2000 and finally settled in at $2500.  I decided to go for it because, even though the edges were ragged and there was writing along the top, I thought the colors were bright and the art clear.  Also, my big collecting goal this year is to get a copy of FF 1.  I'm looking for a low grade copy at  a reasonable price.  I've struck out so far but I had some money to spend so I decided to go for this.  Now I can cross this one off my list.

As I do whenever I buy an expensive comic -- when I buy at the top of the market -- I have some buyer's remorse.  Especially when the comic has the issues this one has.  But, I know from experience those feelings eventually go away.  In my collecting life (going on 40+ years of active collecting now), the only deals I've regretted (where the regret has stuck with me) are the ones I passed on.  I remember years ago at a SDCC buying TOS 39 and Sensation 1 (back then, the Sensation was the driver for the deal with the TOS thrown in at a discount).  I had to run back to my hotel room for cash and it completely drained my funds for the con.  I remember walking back to the con thinking "why the f* am I doing this?"  Years later, they made Iron Man movies and now I can sell that TOS 39 for a down payment on a pretty nice car.  And, the early appearance of WW is looking pretty good now (although, ahem, perhaps not as good Gal Gadot).  My point is, our hobby is a pretty good investment too.  That's what I tell my wife when I spend money on comics.  She always looks skeptically at me though because she knows I won't sell, unless things get really bad (Knock on wood).

Congratulations! Can't wait to see your Journal entry on it. :applause:

Just now, tricolorbrian said:

Yes, they would.  I would use the magic tape...not the regular tape.  You know, the kind that is supposed to be invisible, but really isn't.  I have used it on the inside of a cover on cheap, low-grade books.  It does not affect a low grade at all...but the book looks a lot better...

Now, having said that...I don't think I would really recommend it for a $2,300 book... :insane:

I'm in agreement that tape shouldn't be used on that book, but I have a few great looking low grade Bakers where the spines are completely split.

Just now, Yorick said:

I'm in agreement that tape shouldn't be used on that book, but I have a few great looking low grade Bakers where the spines are completely split.

eewww...I don't know if I would use tape on the spine either.  I just used it a couple times to seal tears on VG or lower copies...spine taping is tough...

Here's a Baker I found in a comic shop.  It already had the tape on the cover (wrong tape too).  I got it for $5.  They used the right tape on the spine, and the wrong tape horizontally.  I would not have put the tape on the front cover though...whoever did this was a hack...

16549106166_7ef94d627f_c.jpg

Now, here's an example of a book I got recently for $3.  It had a tear below Henry's right arm.  I taped it and now you can barely see it...but the book was only a VG or less anyway due to brittle covers.  Maybe i should start a comic taping business...:whatthe:

30837458120_ab908d90d3_c.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

2 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

Here's a Baker I found in a comic shop.  It already had the tape on the cover (wrong tape too).  I got it for $5.  They used the right tape on the spine, and the wrong tape horizontally.  I would not have put the tape on the front cover though...whoever did this was a hack...

16549106166_7ef94d627f_c.jpg

Now, here's an example of a book I got recently for $3.  It had a tear below Henry's right arm.  I taped it and now you can barely see it...but the book was only a VG or less anyway due to brittle covers.  Maybe i should start a comic taping business...:whatthe:

30837458120_ab908d90d3_c.jpg

That TAR is a great example of two types of tape and their aging effect.  I would have taped it on the inside, not outside of a cover.  Pull the staples too, and set the tape underneath.

14 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

Looks like we know about 6 copies of TAT 4 so far.  Where is the dukedog and the Dr.?

TAT 4 is a book I still have not picked up.  Guess I'm still waiting for just the right copy at just the right price.  I do have one of these, though, which I believe ought to grade at about 7.0.  Most of my nice Bakers have yet to be slabbed.  tar39Ja_zpsb26e84de.jpg

15 hours ago, Yorick said:

Here's a copy of an ex-Joanna book:

Secrets of True Love (617x800).jpg

Joanna had a much nicer copy of this book.  I know because I connected her to the seller, here in Minneapolis.  It was the nicest copy I know of- probably would've been 6.5 to 7.0.