• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,375 posts in this topic

Wow the Romantic Marriage 23 went high on ebay at $335. Crazy prices! Here's mine I paid around $100 for it. I wish I would have held on to a lot of my doubles and sold them now. I'm going to have to dig through my boxes. :)

RomanticMarriage23A_zps986ebdad.jpg

Let us know if you find them and decide to list them! :D

This is low grade but you rarely see it up for auction. Anyone have a high grade copy of TR44?

TR44_zps7ae6d6c8.jpg

I think that's the first copy I've ever seen. I would guess St Jon's print runs were getting pretty small by then.

This is low grade but you rarely see it up for auction. Anyone have a high grade copy of TR44?

TR44_zps7ae6d6c8.jpg

Anyone have another copy of TR 44? (I do- it's about 5.0. As scarce as TR 45, IMO.)

Maybe it's fitting that as the Teen-Age Romances run drew to a close, that couple -- with his receding hairline and her hints of gray -- appear to be engaged in a Middle-Age Romance. :D

It also looks like a fall cover for a book that likely hit the stands (the few stands that it hit!) in June. St John was probably beyond worrying about such things by then, though.

TR44_zps7ae6d6c8.jpg

Anyone have another copy of TR 44? (I do- it's about 5.0. As scarce as TR 45, IMO.)

Maybe it's fitting that as the Teen-Age Romances run drew to a close, that couple -- with his receding hairline and her hints of gray -- appear to be engaged in a Middle-Age Romance. :D

:signfunny:

Here is my copy. Has a long diagonal crease along rt. corner. Except for that, structurally beautiful with ow/w pages.

photo TEENROMANCE44_zps3f77f904.jpg

Also, found this panel inside (upper left) Recognize it?

photo TEENROMANCE44PAGE_zpsed9be21c.jpg

photo DIARYSECRETS9_zps031ad784.jpg

Edited by RICK STARR

Sure, I recognize that panel... (of course, TAR 44 is the third reprinting of that story. The original publication was in Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7, then again in TADS 9, where that panel was used as the cover, then in TAR 25, and finally here in TAR 44.)

I also recognize your copy of TAR 44 as being from the Neat Stuff collection in 2003. I knew you had a copy, in addition to those mentioned above, but I'm at a loss to recall very many more copies than that. I'm starting to form the opinion that 44 may actually be more scarce than 45. Could be it just seems that way, too, since 45 is probably the more sought after issue.

Here is my copy. Has a long diagonal crease along rt. corner. Except for that, structurally beautiful with ow/w pages.

photo TEENROMANCE44_zps3f77f904.jpg

Also, found this panel inside (upper left) Recognize it?

photo TEENROMANCE44PAGE_zpsed9be21c.jpg

photo DIARYSECRETS9_zps031ad784.jpg

Interesting. Since TADS 9 was published years before TAR 44, the story that panel is from must be a reprint of an early Baker story.

Is there another example of a Baker cover that is a swipe from a story panel? hm

Sure, I recognize that panel... (of course, TAR 44 is the third reprinting of that story. The original publication was in Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7, then again in TADS 9, where that panel was used as the cover, then in TAR 25, and finally here in TAR 44.)

I also recognize your copy of TAR 44 as being from the Neat Stuff collection in 2003. I knew you had a copy, in addition to those mentioned above, but I'm at a loss to recall very many more copies than that. I'm starting to form the opinion that 44 may actually be more scarce than 45. Could be it just seems that way, too, since 45 is probably the more sought after issue.

My first question was answered!

What about my second question: Other examples of a cover that is a panel swipe?

My first question was answered!

What about my second question: Other examples of a cover that is a panel swipe?

Yes, there is... kind of. The cover of Diary Secrets 16 is supposedly based on the splash page of a Baker story in Wartime Romances 12. If somebody else can post the DS 16 cover, I can post the WR 12 page:

(Edit: Thanks, Comixcroz!)

145588.jpg.e009c597a84aa370bb898afbfc4a3a5b.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog

I am tending to agree now about the TR 44 being scarce or HTF. Have all our boardies here posted theirs yet? If so, yow, what does that say about it. I do seem to recall a beat copy on Ebay just a little while back. I've had 2 copies of TR 45, but have not seen any others available otherwise.

Duke, your memory is scary. Yes mine is the Neatstuff copy from 2004.

It did not come cheap!

I am tending to agree now about the TR 44 being scarce or HTF. Have all our boardies here posted theirs yet? If so, yow, what does that say about it. I do seem to recall a beat copy on Ebay just a little while back. I've had 2 copies of TR 45, but have not seen any others available otherwise.

It did not come cheap!

I know... I remember.

Heh Heh Heh!

this is no longer my book but here it is.

diartsecrets16_zpsf1ed6d44.jpg

Looks like this cover was inspired by the panel, but was substantially redrawn. In the other case, it looks as if the panel was just reused (by being blown up?) as the cover.

It did not come cheap!

I know... I remember.

Heh Heh Heh!

I think I got onto Baker waaaay too late to have much hope of completing my collection. :cry:

Edited by Sqeggs

It did not come cheap!

I know... I remember.

Heh Heh Heh!

I think I got onto Baker waaaay too late to have much hope of completing my collection. :cry:

Just relax and enjoy the ones you have. :)