• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

Here's my copy low grade too.

47A7B009-BC10-4F90-9B48-EB4DC223CA95_zpsrsuacdfa.jpg

I believe I sold that copy, about seven years ago. It has a black color touch, doesn't it?

Also directed Joanna to a F/VF copy, about six years ago.

I wonder if that's the best copy around? Given how late the book was published, I would imagine it didn't get much distribution -- St John's distribution was, of course, spotty at the best of times. So I would guess there aren't too many copies left.

I would think a truly high-grade copy might have made it on to the census by now, although you never know.

I don't think this book is so much scarce as it is obscure and overlooked. It seems only serious collectors know it's a Baker cover. I've owned three copies in the past ten years, and I've seen several others.

I've seen other copies of this book factory-trimmed like Sqeggs'. Comic specs were less than perfect back then.

My copy is lower grade, but more of the art on the right hand side is preserved than in most copies I've seen.

sotl1_zps162dccc0.jpg

Never saw that before. Interesting book, but it lacks the oompf of WR #17. The rewritten dia barely makes sense lol

I don't know if it's the original, but it's clearly inspired by it IMHO, not just in composition but topic. I take it the difference is that post-code St. John didn't feel they could be as obvious as to the one sailor warning the other off.

I notice another post-code change is swapping booze for coffee.

That makes sense, as it doesn't looked inked by Baker. The lack of detail may also be partially due to eliminating the bar details and replacing them with a coffee shop if this is the case.

St. John wasn't producing much at this time, so I could see them cutting corners and reusing rejected cover art. Are the interiors new material?

That makes sense, as it doesn't looked inked by Baker. The lack of detail may also be partially due to eliminating the bar details and replacing them with a coffee shop if this is the case.

St. John wasn't producing much at this time, so I could see them cutting corners and reusing rejected cover art. Are the interiors new material?

Here's what John Benson's St. John/romance master list says:

SECRETS OF TRUE LOVE 1, February 1958. Cover: BAKER. CCA Approved. Al Fago-edited material.

Cover is a reworking of the cover of WR17.

(And here's the link to download the whole list as a .pdf file):

http://www.fantagraphics.com/downloads/stjohnchecklist.xls

Here's what John Benson's St. John/romance master list says:

SECRETS OF TRUE LOVE 1, February 1958. Cover: BAKER. CCA Approved. Al Fago-edited material.

Cover is a reworking of the cover of WR17.

(And here's the link to download the whole list as a .pdf file):

http://www.fantagraphics.com/downloads/stjohnchecklist.xls

And here is the entry from the checklist in The Art of Glamour book: "inventory, probably drawn in 1954" That seems a little off since WTR 17 has a cover date of September 1953. If the Secrets of True Love cover is an early draft of the cover to WTR 17, then presumably it was also drawn in 1953.

Baker Brigade

Just when you thought you were done - they drag you back in. You've come so far, but really the task is St. John ROMANCE. So this very collectible two issue Kubert run is a must have. Then there are the St. John's photocovers, painted covers, GCE's, and Adventures 1 & 2. Yikes! :o

HollywoodConfessions01fc100_zps3da76d73.jpg

HollywoodConfessions02fc100_zpsd5674cee.jpg

Baker Brigade

Just when you thought you were done - they drag you back in. You've come so far, but really the task is St. John ROMANCE. So this very collectible two issue Kubert run is a must have. Then there are the St. John's photocovers, painted covers, GCE's, and Adventures 1 & 2. Yikes! :o

HollywoodConfessions01fc100_zps3da76d73.jpg

HollywoodConfessions02fc100_zpsd5674cee.jpg

Nice!

I've taken a run at copies of these in auctions but never landed one. Probably need to try harder. hm