• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,324 posts in this topic

Now David Alexander has caught the "high prices for mid-grade copies" bug: eBay

David was one of the originators of ridiculous overpricing on everything.

He's certainly aggressive, but I think these prices are beyond his normal levels. I think he's responding to some of the other recent lisings.

I can't see these books selling near these prices ... but I may have said that before! :D

He's certainly aggressive, but I think these prices are beyond his normal levels. I think he's responding to some of the other recent lisings.

I can't see these books selling near these prices ... but I may have said that before! :D

I didn't know his name until now, but DTA came on my radar in a negative way in late June of this year, when I noticed that he (TopNotch) purchased a copy of Journey Into Fear #1 from a boardie on Misc. Sales thread for about $27...and then listed it on his site for $145.

I think his sons are pretty market savvy and are a large part of it now.

Following up on Brian's question about scarcity, I thought I would put together a little chart for each Baker St John romance book. I would like to insert an Excel file but don't know how to do it :cry: -- advice needed! So I'm starting out with the awkward format below.

In any event, this isn't definitive and I'll update it if people are interested enough to make corrections, comments, or suggestions. My scarcity index goes from 10 (fewer than five copies known) to 1 (copies usually available on eBay). Yes, I'm too lazy to look up the Gerber scarcity definitions! :D

I'll take the series in alphabetical order, so first up is Cindy Love.

14 -- 2 graded copies; 6.0 highest graded; median grade 5.5; don't know if there are any pedigreed copies. Hard to tell how scarce it is because the non-Baker cover reduces collectibility, but I would say it's not scarce (3).

15 -- 5 graded copies; 9.0 highest graded; median grade 6.5; 9.0 is Circle 8 pedigree copy -- don't know if there are any other pedigreed copies. Supposedly not scarce but I haven't seen many (5).

25 -- 6 graded copies; 7.5 highest graded; median grade 5.5; don't know if there any pedigreed copies, but I think not. Available in lower grade but very tough in higher grade (5).

26 -- 5 graded copies; 6.5 highest graded; median grade 6.0; don't know if there any pedigreed copies. Pretty tough book (6).

27 -- 3 graded copies; 8.5 highest graded; median grade 5.0; don't know if there any pedigreed copies. Pretty tough book (6).

28 -- 3 graded copies; 4.0 is highest graded; median grade is 4.0; don't know if there are any pedigreed copies. Very tough book (7).

29 -- 3 graded copies; 9.0 :o is the highest graded; median grade is 5.0; don't know if there are any pedigreed copies. Pretty tough book (6).

A few random thoughts: I'm trying not to judge scarcity solely on the basis of graded copies because I realize that there are a lot of raw copies of Baker books out there, including some raw high-grade copies.

Cindy Love is kind of an oddball series in that it's late and Baker's contributions consist mostly of covers -- apparently taken from inventory after he had left St John or commissioned by St John after Baker had left -- with one original story Baker story in issue 14 and one reprinted Baker story in 28. Still, of course, issue 25 has what many people think of as the definitive Baker cover and maybe the definitive romance cover.

Let me know what you think.

I look forward to seeing more of this... (thumbs u

and David T. has always been high, and not always known for tight grading...but he seems to come up with interesting books a lot...unfortunately, they are usually over-priced and out of reach.

Edited by tricolorbrian

Too Fat to Frug!?

What's the story behind this publication?

Well, you see... it's like this. When a man and a woman care for each other very much, they will share a special kind of... hug.

:busy:

:roflmao:

I'll get things started with a skeleton outline of Diary Secrets.

The early lineage of Diary Secrets is thoroughly confusing. Below is a simplified breakdown of the first nine issues. For this purpose, I've used the following abbreviations: BRC = Blue Ribbon Comics, DS = Diary Secrets, TADS = Teen-Age Diary Secrets

(1st issue) BRC 2, 4/49, titled DS

(2nd issue) BRC 4, 6/49, titled TADS

(3rd issue) BRC 5, 8/49, titled TADS

(4th issue) TADS 4, 9/49

(5th issue) TADS no number, 9/49

(6th issue) TADS 6, 10/49

(7th issue) DS 7, 11/49, titled TADS, digest sized

(8th issue) TADS 8, 2/50

(9th issue) DS 9, 8/50, titled TADS, digest sized reprint of DS 7

Diary Secrets 10 thru 30 are all reprints, except 21, 22, and 23. Except for the covers, and some of the text pages, all the material in those issues are previously published stories from earlier issues of Teen-Age Romances, Pictorial Romances, and Wartime Romances, except issues 28 and 29 which reprint Ziff-Davis material.

I would say it's high, but that's a sorta tough book to find, so I guess congrats are in order for Mr. Squeggs... doh!

Yes, it went higher than I hoped. Hope it's a St John miscut and not a trim. :o

I'll get things started with a skeleton outline of Diary Secrets.

The early lineage of Diary Secrets is thoroughly confusing. Below is a simplified breakdown of the first nine issues. For this purpose, I've used the following abbreviations: BRC = Blue Ribbon Comics, DS = Diary Secrets, TADS = Teen-Age Diary Secrets

(1st issue) BRC 2, 4/49, titled DS

(2nd issue) BRC 4, 6/49, titled TADS

(3rd issue) BRC 5, 8/49, titled TADS

(4th issue) TADS 4, 9/49

(5th issue) TADS no number, 9/49

(6th issue) TADS 6, 10/49

(7th issue) DS 7, 11/49, titled TADS, digest sized

(8th issue) TADS 8, 2/50

(9th issue) DS 9, 8/50, titled TADS, digest sized reprint of DS 7

Diary Secrets 10 thru 30 are all reprints, except 21, 22, and 23. Except for the covers, and some of the text pages, all the material in those issues are previously published stories from earlier issues of Teen-Age Romances, Pictorial Romances, and Wartime Romances, except issues 28 and 29 which reprint Ziff-Davis material.

Great info. St John's Blue Ribbon Comics was really a hodge podge.

Tough book. Don't appear to be any copies on the census. First one I've seen for sale in the past couple of years. Anyone have a high-grade copy?

Tough book. Don't appear to be any copies on the census. First one I've seen for sale in the past couple of years. Anyone have a high-grade copy?

Joanna I think

Joanna I think

Sure wish she would post more frequently. Been about six months ....