• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,582 posts in this topic

My first Baker romance book. As I said in the cigar thread, this one was overgraded and I overpaid, but I really don't care.

I couldn't find any sales on Heritage or eBay and not copies for sale on Comiclink or Metro.

Plus, the book gets singled out in The Ten-Cent Plague on page 161.

TeenAgeRomances37.jpg

I love that cover. I wonder what the sales figures were for these magazines. Thanks seank.

bb

Frank Motler sent a scan of the Winking Buddha pocket book to the GCD chat group and I attached a scan from the APC 25 story. Apparently the art was redrawn but some panels were used. A similar fix up job may have been done to some of Baker's work that was to be used in the Western pocket books. Anyone have those Baker pocket books?

3373003284_f4303818a8_o.jpg

My first Baker romance book. As I said in the cigar thread, this one was overgraded and I overpaid, but I really don't care.

I couldn't find any sales on Heritage or eBay and not copies for sale on Comiclink or Metro.

Plus, the book gets singled out in The Ten-Cent Plague on page 161.

TeenAgeRomances37.jpg

I love that cover. I wonder what the sales figures were for these magazines. Thanks seank.

bb

Great cover - St. John was fairly blatant at times with stories of high school girls having weekend

hook-ups with older guys - sexual activity discreetly but obviously implied. Makes you wonder how often guys were picking these up, claiming they were buying them for their "kid sister".

I think some of the comics had stories about strong women and not just shy girls gone wrong.

I think the guy that was grabbed by a girl with those shoulders should worry a little.

3374274166_40e2b75c05_b.jpg

And there is nothing like romance with the Roller Derby Queen.

There is a simple title on this Lev Gleason comic and romance with the Roller Derby Queen has to be tough love.

Not to mention a story with Integrity.

3374259140_b6eb496eca_b.jpg

A tough one to find in ANY grade.

DS27.jpg

Gorgeous cover, perhaps my favorite Diary Secrets cover. I have a CGC 5.0 copy. (Your copy looks pretty nice, too.) But the toughest DS issue, in my experience, is 13. I've only ever seen two copies.

A tough one to find in ANY grade.

DS27.jpg

Gorgeous cover, perhaps my favorite Diary Secrets cover. I have a CGC 5.0 copy. (Your copy looks pretty nice, too.) But the toughest DS issue, in my experience, is 13. I've only ever seen two copies.

The dealer graded it 7.5. maybe it's 7.0. I think there was a DS13 posted earlier, but I've never held one.

Edited by comixnoir

So, here's the question...what do you think is the most difficult St. John romance comic to get?

I think that is pretty easy. The St. John Giant #12, Diary Secrets, seems to be the toughest. Maybe it is just because of price. I don't see the Teenage

Romances in the high numbers very often either. But are those issues rare? I don't know.

I don't see the Blue Ribbon issues very often. Does anyone think those are rare?

bb

I've seen a few copies of the Giant Comics Edition12, all in low grade. Does anyone remember the Jacquet copy, cgc 8.0, on ebay a few years ago? Went for $6000.00. Seems a steal considering 2.0 copies get over $1200.

Cinderella Loves are tough, late Teen-age Romances and some in the teens. I'm always looking for a 17 and 42. Diary Secrets digests don't show up. John Benson's book on Archer St.John, considers them the scarcest.

Personally, I think the Diary Secrets 25center nn, first brought to attention by Michelle Nolan in CBM, is phenomenonally tough. Wasn't even in Overstreet before then. Guides for $950.00, up from $825.00 in 08. Tied with GCE15 for 2nd place as most valuable St.John. D copy went nuts on Heritage! That's my vote.

Edited by comixnoir

I was also thinking the Diary Secrets Baker cover NN is the most difficult. I've seen and heard of quite a few copies of the Diary Secrets 12. I've only ever seen the D copy on Heritage of this one.

I was also thinking the Diary Secrets Baker cover NN is the most difficult. I've seen and heard of quite a few copies of the Diary Secrets 12. I've only ever seen the D copy on Heritage of this one.

Ditto that! The book wasn't even discovered until a few years ago...

Well if you have $1000 to spend, you can put out a request for Giant 12 and Diary Secrets nn and see which you can buy first. I haven't seen any copies of Diary Secrets nn but I haven't looked either. If it really is that rare, then the price will go up or more copies may be found. But I would still rather have the Giant 12.

bb

Ditto that! The book wasn't even discovered until a few years ago...

I saw a copy on ebay a year or so ago- bid on it and lost. There's the D copy and Michelle's copy she showed in her CBM article. That's it that I've seen. Incidentally I think Michelle and Dan Stevenson are owed a debt of gratitude for discovering lost and forgotten comics from the late 40's and 50's that had previously gone undocumented. More stuff to look out for.

Another one that's super tough is All-Picture All-True Love Story #2, Nov., 1952 (a St. John giant rebound composite of earlier books). I saw one on eBay in 2003, and I won the D copy on Heritage in 2007, and those two copies are the only ones I know of. The scan of this book at the GCD is the D copy.

Does anyone else have this book, or know of other copies?

GCD All-Picture All-True Love Story 2