• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

I imagine that the magazine illustration work paid much better than comics, especially near the end of Baker's life, when anti-comic hysteria was reaching its peak. Also, the anti-comic hysteria may have pushed him (along with many others) away from the comic biz.

I believe the thought is that television was the most likely cause of the demise of comics, with the code the outrage leading up the comic as a secondary factor. If anyone has information otherwise I would be happy to hear about it.

PictorialRomance7.jpg

:o :o (worship) (worship) :o :o

Love the Fortune Teller :luhv:

P.S.: So is that a playing card cover then?

Poker Kid already nabbed a copy that was up for grabs a few weeks ago :) Now, I'm in line for the next one.

:o :o (worship) (worship) :o :o

Love the Fortune Teller :luhv:

P.S.: So is that a playing card cover then?

Thanks! It's just one of so many wonderful Baker covers, of which I have so very few.

Many folks think of Baker only as a good girl artist but I think all of his mature work is worthwhile. This has a Baker cover and 3 stories, iirc.

Texan11.jpg

I believe this is a Baker cover but would welcome any thoughts on the matter.

ExoticRomance31.jpg

It is a Baker cover. Most of his covers outside of St. John, the details got lost in the inks done by others. It's difficult to recognize quite a few of them.

It is a Baker cover. Most of his covers outside of St. John, the details got lost in the inks done by others. It's difficult to recognize quite a few of them.

I could go with Baker based on the guys in the background but the girl up front looks less like his style. Was this listed in the article in AE on Baker?

bb

I could go with Baker based on the guys in the background but the girl up front looks less like his style. Was this listed in the article in AE on Baker?

bb

I'm with BB Gun on this. Chick has the right hair, but that's it.

According to Gerber and OS, it's a Baker cover. However, I note in OS that this book is cover dated November 1956, near the end of his life, when his comic work was on the decline. I think it's his pencils - look at the guy in the blue suit - but it suffers from horrible inking.

I believe the thought is that television was the most likely cause of the demise of comics, with the code the outrage leading up the comic as a secondary factor. If anyone has information otherwise I would be happy to hear about it.

PictorialRomance7.jpg

Wow! What a pretty copy. (worship)

Ken

Here are a few covers that are may or may not be Baker covers. I do believe the Girls In Love 57 is Baker and is one of my favorites outside of St. John for his romance covers..

The Love Romances is a big toss up. The girl back for sure does not look Baker.

img266.jpg

img264.jpg

img263.jpg

img261.jpg

img260.jpg

img262.jpg

Edited by JvR11

The Love Romances 57, is inked by Vince Colletta- whether he drew it or not I don't know. Baker worked in Colletta's studio toward the end. The superior draughtmanship, especially on the tricky angles employed on WB 18 suggest Baker. The perspective is off on LR 93, though the girl looks Bakerish, meaning it was changed or more than one hand was resposible.

Like his anonymous beginnings at the Igor shop, it looks like Baker's final work was bastardized, leaving an ignominious end to a brillant career.

Edited by comixnoir

The Love Romances are definitely not Baker. Atlastales lists the 57 as definitely Colleta and he 93 as probable Colleta. I agree with the 57 as Colleta did some wonderful romance work for Atlas in the 60s -- which is quite surprising to the people who know him only through some liberties he took in inking Jack Kirby's work. The gal in the 93 looks like Colleta but the guy totally reminds of Sid Greene's art. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a collaboration.

Girls in Love is either Baker or a very good swipe of his art -- I'll guess that it's Baker and I see why you like it. The last 3 Quality issues to do not look like Baker at all to me.

Another Colleta cover

MyOwnRomance61.jpg

Well sure, the gal's right hand is drawn with 2 fingers "stuck" together as is the gal on the cover of Exotic 28. Isn't that one of the Baker "signature"s?

Sure that is one of the signatures, but there are also other clues. The girl's figure, the details in the men and their clothes, the girls face.

It's very difficult to draw a beautiful girls face with detail and not have it look over done. That was one of Baker's gifts...he could do enough detail and still keep it graceful.

If you look at the other Romance books they also have the same hands.

The Love Romances are definitely not Baker. Atlastales lists the 57 as definitely Colleta and he 93 as probable Colleta. I agree with the 57 as Colleta did some wonderful romance work for Atlas in the 60s -- which is quite surprising to the people who know him only through some liberties he took in inking Jack Kirby's work. The gal in the 93 looks like Colleta but the guy totally reminds of Sid Greene's art. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a collaboration.

Girls in Love is either Baker or a very good swipe of his art -- I'll guess that it's Baker and I see why you like it. The last 3 Quality issues to do not look like Baker at all to me.

Another Colleta cover

MyOwnRomance61.jpg

:gossip: Colleta signed the cover of 57....and it's a shame he never got a chance to do more penciling at the House Of Ideas.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just realized something. I understand now why they say Love Romances 93 had partial Baker cover. Coletta reused Baker's work in a later issue..

img263.jpg

lov2743a.jpg