• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,324 posts in this topic

New Baker additions :) I'm one away from completing the Diary Secret run.

The Crime Reporter is a double cover.

DiarySecrets.jpg

crimereporter.jpg

Can I come over to your house and... um... read your collection?

Baker's have the worst art wouldn't even be worth your while (remember this comment until I finish completing my collection...less competition :) )

Ooh. I forgot about that. Who would want to collect art by a hack like Matt Baker?

(Good plan. If we keep saying this enough, someone may believe it.)

New Baker additions :) I'm one away from completing the Diary Secret run.

The Crime Reporter is a double cover.

DiarySecrets.jpg

crimereporter.jpg

Which Diary Secrets are you missing?

Nice Baker covers by the way. I am sure these will all be reprinted soon.

You don't really need originals cluttering up the house.

bb

I was at a con on the weekend where a dealer had many Bakers in low grade that he was asking a lot of money for.

Here's a beauty I picked up online for $80.00.

wr4.jpg

Don't overpay for these comics just because they're "hot".

That was a great catch at that price. Congrats :applause:

Are Bakers really "hot"? I mean, they have been in demand for a long time now. I don't know that they are "hotter" today than they have always been. Collectors in the know have always known to pick them out and national dealers have always known what they have. You can still luck out at small local shows and find them cheap (i.e., Guide).

That was a great catch at that price. Congrats :applause:

Are Bakers really "hot"? I mean, they have been in demand for a long time now. I don't know that they are "hotter" today than they have always been. Collectors in the know have always known to pick them out and national dealers have always known what they have. You can still luck out at small local shows and find them cheap (i.e., Guide).

The romances went up in the guide last year, reflecting whats been going on for awhile. I used to get Bakers for guide or a little over from the same dealer who's asking 8X for beater copies. You're right, they've been "hot" for some time, now some are trying to take advantage. I've never seen prices like these before. My point is, don't encourage this. and wait for the right price.

Edited by comixnoir

I get it. So, the price is finally showing the price increase, eh :cry:

I'm with Ron, I have seen an increase in Baker prices recently. Maybe this indicates that demand is on the rise. However there are still deals to be had, you just have to be patient. I do think Authentic Police Cases are underrated and I've picked up some nice ones at reasonable prices.

I was at a con on the weekend where a dealer had many Bakers in low grade that he was asking a lot of money for.

wr4.jpg

Nice copy! I'm still on the look out for a Wartime Romances 1. I bid on the one on the last CL auction but I'm pretty sure I would have had to pay close to $200 to get it. I stopped at just over $150.

Which Diary Secrets are you missing?

Nice Baker covers by the way. I am sure these will all be reprinted soon.

You don't really need originals cluttering up the house.

bb

I need a Diary Secrets 27. If anyone has one they'd like to part with, LMK.

13438_4_027.jpg

I get it. So, the price is finally showing the price increase, eh :cry:

I'm with Ron, I have seen an increase in Baker prices recently. Maybe this indicates that demand is on the rise. However there are still deals to be had, you just have to be patient. I do think Authentic Police Cases are underrated and I've picked up some nice ones at reasonable prices.

(Certain) APC's are still cheap. The Baker westerns are cheap. I love his Hawk covers, but they're hard to find. Fightin' Marines have great Baker covers and Canteen Kate stories, who I love, but they're fairly easy.

Edited by comixnoir

wr4.jpg

Nice copy! I'm still on the look out for a Wartime Romances 1. I bid on the one on the last CL auction but I'm pretty sure I would have had to pay close to $200 to get it. I stopped at just over $150.

That reminds that I'm overdue in scanning some Baker books.

WartimeRomance1.jpg

wr4.jpg

WartimeRomance1.jpg

Please list more. Any for sale?

wr4.jpg

WartimeRomance1.jpg

Nice book! I hope you'll share more.

I've recently been getting into Baker illustrations. Most of his illustrations were done towards the end of his life. I believe he was getting out of the "comics" and headed in this direction since most of his later work in comics lacked his signature edge. Of course, some of this was due to poor inking but I don't think his drive was into comic illustration towards the end of his career.

IMG_5787.jpg

These are just a couple from the Manhunt pulp...

IMG_5800.jpg

mspillane.jpg

Edited by JvR11

I've recently been getting into Baker illustrations. Most of his illustrations were done towards the end of his life. I believe he was getting out of the "comics" and headed in this direction since most of his later work in comics lacked his signature edge. Of course, some of this was due to poor inking but I don't think his drive was into comic illustration towards the end of his career.

IMG_5800.jpg

Kinda familiar. (Yes, a classic image and maybe not a swipe at all.) Which came first?

78283.jpg.9f75a16355eae1c1da3d07be1d777be3.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

Kinda familiar. (Yes, a classic image and maybe not a swipe at all.) Which came first?

All of those CSI candidates look similar.

2251969164_e479f6da9f_b.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

All of those CSI candidates look similar.

2251969164_e479f6da9f_b.jpg

That last drawing looks like a Baker panel from PL 18. I'd post it, but I don't want to harm the spine on my copy. In fact all those CSI drawings look like Baker interiors. He might have been swiping from himself.

wr4.jpg

WartimeRomance1.jpg

TeenageTempations1.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

The Manhunt illustration in 1953, the Crime Illustrated in 1955.

wr4.jpg

>

TeenageTempations1.jpg

(worship)