• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,351 posts in this topic

Anyone win any Bakers on the CConnect auction? They've been going for record prices. I've been surprised how high some went.

Edited by JvR11

Well I got into a bidding war with someone over the D copy Teen-age Romances 23, leap-frogging over someone $10.00 at a time. I eventually prevailed. The most bids over any other romance item. Anyone like to come foward as the other bidder? It eventually went for 2.5X what it went for in '06 on Heritage. The Mile High TR 2&3, Heritage graded 9.4 and 9.0 and went for over a grand each in the John McLaughlin auction, got cgc'd at 8.0 and 6.5,respectively, and went for a third of what they originally did.

Anyone like to admit to winning the Cinderelle Love 25 and the Romance and Confession Stories out there?

Yes, step forward all you closet Baker collectors. The prices were pretty competitive and I was really surprised about how high some of the prices went.

I keep bidding up Pictorial Romances #7 (a 7.0 last auction and an 8.0 this time) trying to upgrade but get pounded.

It was crazy prices on the PR7. I'm still out for one and I thought $275 was too much until this auction. Man!

I don't think I've posted this one. I got it a little while ago. It has such vivid colors and the cool thing is that the pages are still stuck together on the corner, like it has never been read before. I've completed my Temptations run now. I just have a couple I'd like upgrades on.

img292.jpg

Edited by JvR11

I think it was someone on here that turned me on to Alter Ego #47 (Matt Baker issue). It has a very well researched article with unpublished artwork and hard to find Matt Baker art.

Thank again! Got this for $5. on eBay:

alterego47.JPG

I think it was someone on here that turned me on to Alter Ego #47 (Matt Baker issue). It has a very well researched article with unpublished artwork and hard to find Matt Baker art.

Thank again! Got this for $5. on eBay:

alterego47.JPG

I don't remember who it was that sent the note. Maybe Scrooge did since he seems to have a reference for everything.

But it is a good article and a lot of people contributed to the checklist which is worth having.

I purchased a second copy cause I was wearing out the first one.

I liked this Baker art which was in the issue and for some reason unidentified.

3327519022_b9418e2b56_o.jpg

I don't think I've posted this one. I got it a little while ago. It has such vivid colors and the cool thing is that the pages are still stuck together on the corner, like it has never been read before. I've completed my Temptations run now. I just have a couple I'd like upgrades on.

img292.jpg

I like that Temptations cover and I like this one a lot too.

2558109519_07d86f311d_b.jpg

Here are some interior panels from a Baker story from Stories of Romance. It's interesting to see his work after St. John. It's difficult to find his work because I don't know of any story he signed in romance after he left St. John.

Hopefully, one day, I'll have most of the "known" work he did outside of St. John. Is anyone else collecting his romance work after St. John? The only list I know of is in the Alter Ego magazine. It would be interesting to know if others have more to add to this list.

These images below are some of the better representations of his pencils. In a lot of his later work, the inking has deep lines making the figures appear almost mechanical because they were inked by others and the details were lost. There are a few hidden gems out there that I believe Baker himself inked, but they are indeed difficult to find and rare.

StoriesofRomance.jpg

storiesofromance2.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for making the scans!

I find Baker's Atlas work to be less appealing. There seems to be a mix of other artists and heavy- handed inking. Was he collaborating with Jay Scott Pike? Possibly. The figures don't seem as fluid as his St. John's work. Also his health may have been affecting his output at this time.

The thing that I find lacking in this piece is the backgrounds. They aren't as detailed as his usual work...who knows if this got lost in the inking or not? I really don't think his "talent" lacked at the end because of all of his great illustrations outside of comics that he was also working on at the same time...maybe he wasn't motivated or was told to just do a quick job and don't worry about the details...I guess we'll never really know.

I find Baker's Atlas work to be less appealing. There seems to be a mix of other artists and heavy- handed inking. Was he collaborating with Jay Scott Pike? Possibly. The figures don't seem as fluid as his St. John's work. Also his health may have been affecting his output at this time.

Vince Colletta is the one most often accused of lackluster inking of Baker's stories for Atlas.

Edited by 29dukedog

I don't think Colletta inked the example shown, although he did ink Baker's work during this period. I believe Baker worked for Colletta in his studio, which might account for the sub-standard work. He was doing better magazine illos for sure. Look at the female faces in the examples. The softness is gone, less expressive. The figures look stiffer, and the backgrounds are lacking. Also, there might be a series of artists working on one story. Maybe Baker just did layouts and the finished pencils and inks were done by others. It certainly looks more like an Atlas comic than a St.John's.

Edited by comixnoir