• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

Surprised, but not shocked! shocked I say! A great book, unique actually in terms of theme for Baker, and very very very tough to come by in anything approaching grade. I've always considered it a minor grail, along with TAR 45. And after all these years, none on the census till this showed up, and that club is getting smaller and smaller.

If I'm not mistaken both Rick Starr and Sqeggs have lesser copies, shall we say, and I wouldn't put it past either of them to go for this one. Nor would I say it's a bad move. If you were committed to a world class Baker collection, this book would be a must have.

A bit out of my budget, but expenditures are very relative. These days 2K ain't no big thang.

I got my copy many years ago and have seen a few available over the past 15 years. But agree very tough in Fine or better as my copy is definitely not as nice as the Heritage copy. It will be interesting to see how Baker romances do in future auctions as there are many other ones that I could see threaten the 5K barrier like Teen Age Romances 9 and Giant Comics Edition 12.

That barrier has already been broken: A GCE 12 CGC 7.0 went for $9,300 in a CLink auction in August 2013.

Thanks for the reminder on that one. I guess I should have said 10k!

There's a CGC 8.0 copy of GCE 12 out there that would presumably blow through the $10K barrier if it were auctioned. The Seven Seas 4 CGC 9.0 might do the same. There are probably some high-grade copies of other issues as well that would sell above $10K. I wish I owned them! :D

That makes two of us! If we were talking about only Baker romance titles excluding Giant Comics Edition, it would be interesting to see which issue would have the best shot of breaking the 10K barrier.

There's a CGC 8.0 copy of GCE 12 out there that would presumably blow through the $10K barrier if it were auctioned. The Seven Seas 4 CGC 9.0 might do the same. There are probably some high-grade copies of other issues as well that would sell above $10K. I wish I owned them! :D

I wonder if I own any like these. With these prices, I am almost tempted to sell some of mine...almost, but not quite willing.

I was very surprised at the final price -- maybe I am a little out of touch with the going rate on Baker books. (shrug)

It is possible that this Heritage Auction was a unique situation as many books went for astronomical prices. I guess folks just love owning the best existing copy and have little price sensitivity for that honor. Of course, that price might encourage a few additional CGC submissions on that book.

Edited by jlee

That makes two of us! If we were talking about only Baker romance titles excluding Giant Comics Edition, it would be interesting to see which issue would have the best shot of breaking the 10K barrier.

Interesting point. I think both GCE 12 and SS 4 benefit from crossover interest from non-romance collectors. I'm not sure that a Baker book that is strictly romance would break the $10K barrier unless it was, say, an uber-high-grade copy--like a 9.6 or 9.8--of a very scarce book. Even then, I'm not sure how the auction would go. hm

Interesting point. I think both GCE 12 and SS 4 benefit from crossover interest from non-romance collectors. I'm not sure that a Baker book that is strictly romance would break the $10K barrier unless it was, say, an uber-high-grade copy--like a 9.6 or 9.8--of a very scarce book. Even then, I'm not sure how the auction would go. hm

I haven't checked recently, but I don't recall if there are any CGC 9.6 or 9.8 Baker romance books. I have a CGC 9.2 as my highest graded Baker romance book. My guess is you would need the ultra high grade combined with an iconic cover like a Cinderella Love 25 to break 10K.

Edited by jlee

I haven't checked recently, but I don't recall if there are any CGC 9.6 or 9.8 Baker romance books. I have a CGC 9.2 as my highest graded Baker romance book. My guess is you would need the ultra high grade combined with an iconic cover like a Cinderella Love 25 to break 10K.

CL 25 in 9.8 ... That's a $10K book, I think.

There's a CGC 9.6 copy of True Love Pictorial #3. It's the only 9.6 St. John romance issue I'm aware of, and there's almost certainly nothing higher.

Just picked these up...

002_zpshvn9e4d6.jpg

...from my printer. :)

And I just received my copy today. Thanks, Joe, it's a gorgeous reproduction. You might think about selling them here on the boards. Can't wait for the hardcover Pictorial Confessions/Romances!

CL 25 in 9.8 ... That's a $10K book, I think.

With prices like that Going Steady 14 just went for, you might only need the highest graded CL 25 to break the 10K barrier...

There's a CGC 9.6 copy of True Love Pictorial #3. It's the only 9.6 St. John romance issue I'm aware of, and there's almost certainly nothing higher.

and I believe there are only three 9.6 St. Johns at all - that's their entire output as a publisher we're talking about

and I believe there are only three 9.6 St. Johns at all - that's their entire output as a publisher we're talking about

Only 4 !!! St. John in 9.6+ (There seems to be a lone signature 9.8 but that's misclassified in the data).

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/search/publisher/:St:John:/label/all/census/160216/censusprior/160216/

Canteen Kate # 1

Laurel & Hardy # 2

Texan # 13

True Love Pictorial # 3

and only 26 in 9.4.

And I believe this data will ultimately figure in and define exactly what "highest graded" means, where the St. Johns are concerned.

Only 4 !!! St. John in 9.6+ (There seems to be a lone signature 9.8 but that's misclassified in the data).

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/search/publisher/:St:John:/label/all/census/160216/censusprior/160216/

Canteen Kate # 1

Laurel & Hardy # 2

Texan # 13

True Love Pictorial # 3

and only 26 in 9.4.

This is a great view of all the St. John titles. Thanks so much for sharing.

Canteen Kate # 1

Laurel & Hardy # 2

Texan # 13

True Love Pictorial # 3

and only 26 in 9.4.

This is a great view of all the St. John titles. Thanks so much for sharing.

+1 I hadn't realized you can search that source by publisher.

Fascinating stuff!

Edited by Sqeggs