• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

Wow those last two classic Baker covers offered on eBay went for good money considering the low grade

Cinderella Love #28 @ $305 and TAR #43 at $242 both appearing to be CGC 2.0 or so.....

I can see why as they are two of the most MASTERFULLY drawn covers I have ever seen.

Wow those last two classic Baker covers offered on eBay went for good money considering the low grade

Cinderella Love #28 @ $305 and TAR #43 at $242 both appearing to be CGC 2.0 or so.....

I can see why as they are two of the most MASTERFULLY drawn covers I have ever seen.

Bakers is hot!

Those are two very tough books. The CL 28 is one of my favorite Baker covers.

Where was there a TAR #43? Didn't see it, can't seem to find it.

Edit: Oh, that one, from about a month ago.

Edited by 29dukedog

Jeez, I won this copy for just under $100., a few years ago on eBay. (I should point out, though, it was running simultaneously with a slightly nicer copy, and I correctly deduced that the nicer copy would draw attention away from this one.)

tar43_zpsiu3nufzq.jpg

Jeez, I won this copy for just under $100., a few years ago on eBay. (I should point out, though, it was running simultaneously with a slightly nicer copy, and I correctly deduced that the nicer copy would draw attention away from this one.)

tar43_zpsiu3nufzq.jpg

You should have bought them both. :baiting:

You should have bought them both. :baiting:

Yeah. Curses on me and my finite disposable income!

TAR #34 6.0 Volde listed on CL a few days ago for...$1520

while the recent Going Steady #14 6.0 that went for $2271 might be considered an outlier of sorts, I think it's clear that there is a disturbance in the force.

If you want to see some real fireworks, I suggest you watch the Cinderella Love 25 ending Tuesday night on eBay. Anybody care to make an estimation? It's a darn nice raw copy.

TAR #34 6.0 Volde listed on CL a few days ago for...$1520

while the recent Going Steady #14 6.0 that went for $2271 might be considered an outlier of sorts, I think it's clear that there is a disturbance in the force.

If you want to see some real fireworks, I suggest you watch the Cinderella Love 25 ending Tuesday night on eBay. Anybody care to make an estimation? It's a darn nice raw copy.

It is nice, although the additional pictures show some damage that will keep the grade down. And, of course, you are rolling the dice with a raw book. Still, I would think it will go above $1,000.

It's quite something when a non comic person goes out of their way to provide a wealth of pictures about what they're selling. Shame on this community. On the boards you can't even get a back cover shot anymore. It's gotten under my skin big time.

wtf rant time. I saw a sales thread recently for a restored 4.5, no bc scan. The seller went out of his way to advise bidders that if you take the time to ask for a bc scan, you might very well lose out to someone else posting an I'll take it while that info is being provided. That's what its come to.

Can one of you Baker experts list the top 10 Baker romance books in terms of value and/or desirability?

Probably the number one Baker romance issue, in those terms, would be Giant Comics Editions #12, the "prostitute" cover.

Beyond that, it would be extremely difficult to provide a ranked list, but among the top ten, you'd most likely find:

Diary Secrets nn giant, due to its extreme scarcity.

Diary Secrets 7 and 9, the digest sized issues, also very scarce.

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 6 features a young Marilyn Monroe on the cover, and is coveted by both comic collectors and Marilyn fans.

Teen-Age Romances 9 always sells extremely well.

Teen-Age Romances 41 through 45 (especially 45) are very tough to find and typically desirable.

Cinderella Love 25 is widely considered Baker's romance masterpiece and is a very popular issue. CL 25 through 29 are all highly sought after issues.

True Love Pictorial 11 is another popular cover.

After that, I'd say it comes down to which individual covers are more popular than others, and therefore more coveted by collectors.

Just my two cents.

Can one of you Baker experts list the top 10 Baker romance books in terms of value and/or desirability?

This hasn't been done in a while. Fun for the whole family and beyond a certain point, subjective. Ten may not handle it.

These come to mind right away.

All Picture All True Love Story 1

Cinderella Love 25

Diary Secrets nn

Giant Comics Editions 12

Going Steady 14

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 6

Teen-Age Romances 9

True Love Pictorial 11

And an interesting corollary to this conversation is pricing. Is there a base these days that we can recognize for Bakers - that is, books with Baker covers at least? Or is it so individualistic as to be nearly impossible, with every book going through a market discovery process?

In this wild wild west can one say that a base is VG $250-$400, Fine $500-$700, VF $750-1000, VF/NM $1000+?

Two excellent lists, to which I would add this one (only three known copies)

T2eC16ZHJH0FG1L8LFqzBSGZbvYFg60_57_zps4b53c0f6.jpg

Which kind of gets to the desirability v. scarcity issue. This one is high on the scarcity scale, but below CL 25, CGE 12, and TLP 11 on the desirability scale, I think.

Then there's Teen-Age Diary Secrets 6 (mentioned by Dr. L), which lacks a Baker cover (although it has Baker interior art) but has a photo cover featuring a very young Marilyn Monroe (or so most people think).