• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

Happy belated Valentine's Day! My only Teen-Age Romances book...which has already been posted :tonofbricks:

Teen-Age%20Romances%2040%20front.jpg

Good one!

Graduating and getting engaged on the same day!

I've often wondered... does anyone think Baker designed this University building after a particular campus that actually exists? Does it look like any place that anyone recognizes?

Happy belated Valentine's Day! My only Teen-Age Romances book...which has already been posted :tonofbricks:

Teen-Age%20Romances%2040%20front.jpg

Good one!

I've often wondered... does anyone think Baker designed this University building after a particular campus that actually exists? Does it look like any place that anyone recognizes?

Interesting question. I think that Baker -- like many artists -- relied heavily on swipe files, so I would guess he probably was working off a photo of a real college. I don't know which one it might have been, though.

I know next to nothing about architecture, but the styles of the two building appear a little mismatched. That doesn't necessarily rule out the drawing having been based on a real college, though, because the buildings on many colleges can be a bit of a hodgepodge as different buildings are built (or renovated) decades apart.

Good one!

1) Why does it have to be a University? Why not a high school?

2) While I assume Baker likely swiped the building, I doubt he cared whether it was an educational building vs it being the right building that would look good for the cover and the he could find quickly in his files.

The building looks to me to be a church with a bell tower.

Just picked these up...

002_zpshvn9e4d6.jpg

...from my printer. :)

Nearly a Baker's dozen of Bakers! Congrats!

:gossip: Save one for me. :wishluck:

Funny you ask since when I saw it I did a double-take as it looks like the University of Oklahoma Union. It's obviously not but the layout sure looks like many universities old building -

w320-5c4168a17f4f6f141471c5ee6d1c95bd.jpg

That's what I was thinking. The reason I wondered if he might have based it on an actual place... we know he had a tendency towards drawing from real life. The best example is probably Cinderella Love 29. The car is supposedly based on a model he actually owned at one time. At least, that's the story I've heard.

cl29_zpsh57pin7k.jpg

Funny you ask since when I saw it I did a double-take as it looks like the University of Oklahoma Union. It's obviously not but the layout sure looks like many universities old building -

w320-5c4168a17f4f6f141471c5ee6d1c95bd.jpg

Collegiate Gothic.

Curious if others were as surprised at the final price for the Going Steady 14 in the Heritage Auction. It was a CGC Blue 6.0 and sold for $2270.50 including BP.

I know this is a tougher Baker romance book, but I figured this issue would top out at maybe $800-900 as this is not as highly sought after as some of the Cinderella Loves and late issues of Teen-Age Romances.

Given some of the crazy prices realized in this auction, is this an outlier or a sign of things to come?

Surprised, but not shocked! shocked I say! A great book, unique actually in terms of theme for Baker, and very very very tough to come by in anything approaching grade. I've always considered it a minor grail, along with TAR 45. And after all these years, none on the census till this showed up, and that club is getting smaller and smaller.

If I'm not mistaken both Rick Starr and Sqeggs have lesser copies, shall we say, and I wouldn't put it past either of them to go for this one. Nor would I say it's a bad move. If you were committed to a world class Baker collection, this book would be a must have.

A bit out of my budget, but expenditures are very relative. These days 2K ain't no big thang.

Surprised, but not shocked! shocked I say! A great book, unique actually in terms of theme for Baker, and very very very tough to come by in anything approaching grade. I've always considered it a minor grail, along with TAR 45. And after all these years, none on the census till this showed up, and that club is getting smaller and smaller.

If I'm not mistaken both Rick Starr and Sqeggs have lesser copies, shall we say, and I wouldn't put it past either of them to go for this one. Nor would I say it's a bad move. If you were committed to a world class Baker collection, this book would be a must have.

A bit out of my budget, but expenditures are very relative. These days 2K ain't no big thang.

I got my copy many years ago and have seen a few available over the past 15 years. But agree very tough in Fine or better as my copy is definitely not as nice as the Heritage copy. It will be interesting to see how Baker romances do in future auctions as there are many other ones that I could see threaten the 5K barrier like Teen Age Romances 9 and Giant Comics Edition 12.

Edited by jlee

I got my copy many years ago and have seen a few available over the past 15 years. But agree very tough in Fine or better as my copy is definitely not as nice as the Heritage copy. It will be interesting to see how Baker romances do in future auctions as there are many other ones that I could see threaten the 5K barrier like Teen Age Romances 9 and Giant Comics Edition 12.

That barrier has already been broken: A GCE 12 CGC 7.0 went for $9,300 in a CLink auction in August 2013.

That barrier has already been broken: A GCE 12 CGC 7.0 went for $9,300 in a CLink auction in August 2013.

Thanks for the reminder on that one. I guess I should have said 10k!

Curious if others were as surprised at the final price for the Going Steady 14 in the Heritage Auction. It was a CGC Blue 6.0 and sold for $2270.50 including BP.

I know this is a tougher Baker romance book, but I figured this issue would top out at maybe $800-900 as this is not as highly sought after as some of the Cinderella Loves and late issues of Teen-Age Romances.

Given some of the crazy prices realized in this auction, is this an outlier or a sign of things to come?

I considered this issue as an ok, middlin', issue. However, my copy was one of the last Baker romance issues I needed to help nearly complete my Baker romance collection. I am shocked at the final price of this issue. I am happy with my VG+ copy.

Thanks for the reminder on that one. I guess I should have said 10k!

There's a CGC 8.0 copy of GCE 12 out there that would presumably blow through the $10K barrier if it were auctioned. The Seven Seas 4 CGC 9.0 might do the same. There are probably some high-grade copies of other issues as well that would sell above $10K. I wish I owned them! :D

I considered this issue as an ok, middlin', issue. However, my copy was one of the last Baker romance issues I needed to help nearly complete my Baker romance collection. I am shocked at the final price of this issue. I am happy with my VG+ copy.

John - Sounds like we are both in agreement on this one as not Baker's finest moment. But definitely not the most common book either.