• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

Now compare my previous list with this one: my personal Baker Top 10, ranked. Hardly in the same universe.

1. Teen-Age Romance 45

2. Cinderella Love 25

3. All Picture All True Love 1

4. Teen-Age Romances 14

5. Giant Comics Editions 15

6. Going Steady 12

7. Pictorial Romances 5

8. Pictorial Romances 17

9. Wartime Romances 12

10. Blue Ribbon 2

and, I'd put this St. John Warren King cover over many of the above - Adventures in Romance 1

Hard to argue with many on the list, but in terms of my 10 favorite Baker romance covers ignoring scarcity and $$ value:in no particular order:

Pictorial Romances 17

Teen-age Romances 11, 13, 18, 33

Cinderella Love 25, 27

Going Steady 11

Wartime Romances 18

Teen-age Temptations 8

Now compare my previous list with this one: my personal Baker Top 10, ranked. Hardly in the same universe.

1. Teen-Age Romance 45

2. Cinderella Love 25

3. All Picture All True Love 1

4. Teen-Age Romances 14

5. Giant Comics Editions 15

6. Going Steady 12

7. Pictorial Romances 5

8. Pictorial Romances 17

9. Wartime Romances 12

10. Blue Ribbon 2

and, I'd put this St. John Warren King cover over many of the above - Adventures in Romance 1

Hard to argue with many on the list, but in terms of my 10 favorite Baker romance covers ignoring scarcity and $$ value:in no particular order:

Pictorial Romances 17

Teen-age Romances 11, 13, 18, 33

Cinderella Love 25, 27

Going Steady 11

Wartime Romances 18

Teen-age Temptations 8

Excellent list. Here's one that I think is underappreciated.

lf_zps7a0aa2ed.jpeg

Agreed that TLP 10 is a great cover that is underappreciated. Its problem is over abundance. I've seen dozens of them over the past 15 years. Another very common book is Pictorial Romances 16. At one time, Metropolis had something like 4 or 5 copies for sale, all at the same time. In the case of that book, though, it's additionally burdened by not being the greatest cover Baker ever did.

Agreed that TLP 10 is a great cover that is underappreciated. Its problem is over abundance. I've seen dozens of them over the past 15 years. Another very common book is Pictorial Romances 16. At one time, Metropolis had something like 4 or 5 copies for sale, all at the same time. In the case of that book, though, it's additionally burdened by not being the greatest cover Baker ever did.

True about PR 16. Almost makes me wonder if there might have been a warehouse find.

I know this is off Romance topic, but since the door has been opened to other Baker fav covers and I like to show it off here is one of mine:

image114.jpg

It's Liberty Hall now! I love that cover. Keep 'em comin'!

I love this book. And try to find a copy!

all-trueall-picturepolicecases2.jpeg

I have tried, and I can't! :cry:

I've had this one on my want list for years, too. There was an eBay seller who showed me his own copy (not for sale, of course), but this was about twelve years ago, and I can't remember which seller it was. If I could just track him down and make him an offer he can't refuse...

Below is the latest entry in my journal. Thanks for reading.

Last week I got my most recent Value invoice back from CGC. The turnaround time for normal track was just under 3 months.

I had a few Matt Baker's in this submission. It'd be nice to have a Baker registry set, if for no other reason that we'd then be able to leverage the expertise of the people on this board to identify and create a checklist of all the Baker covers in existence. If we ever have such a set, my goal would be to get a copy of each book rather than the top score since I'm a completist rather than a person going for high grades.

The last book below, Wartime Romances 15, is a good example of this. There's a chunk missing from the last 5 pages of the book. The CGC notation says "affects story" but it is possible to read the story so in my mind the book is complete. So while the book only got a 0.5 grade, the cover's in good shape and I got it cheap for $45. If only more "incomplete" books were offered on eBay.

Cinderella%20Love%2027%20CGC%203.0%20265_zps2k461syy.jpg

Going%20Steady%2012%20CGC%204.0%20275_zpsnw5qmf2h.jpg

Diary%20Secrets%2029%20CGC%204.5%2085_zpsm17lz4ru.jpg

Authentic%20Police%20Cases%209%20CGC%203.0%2050_zpsupx0tkqv.jpg

Authentic%20Police%20Cases%206%20CGC%203.5%2090_zpsmx1syz00.jpg

Wartime%20Romances%2015%20CGC%200.5%2045_zpsa34meyyi.jpg

Nice books that all present well for their grades. The best checklist for Baker is probably the one found in this book: Matt Baker, The Art of Glamour

The book is a bit pricey for what you get, but in addition to the checklist it provides information on Baker's life and reproduces some of his art. Unfortunately, because he died before modern fandom had begun, there are big gaps in our knowledge of him, including just what his role was at St John.

Edited by Sqeggs

True about PR 16. Almost makes me wonder if there might have been a warehouse find.

Interesting. On a related note does anyone have a top 5 list of most common to find Baker romance books - even if they are not exactly falling off of trees :)

Interesting. On a related note does anyone have a top 5 list of most common to find Baker romance books - even if they are not exactly falling off of trees :)

Interesting question. The PR 16 should probably be on the list, although even that one seems scarce these days. Some of the early photo cover issues seem to be listed a lot on eBay -- or maybe that's just DTA listing his copies over and over again!

That's a tough question to answer. I wouldn't say any of them are truly common. I can only speak in general terms of how many copies of a book, relative to other individual issues, I personally have seen over an extended period of years.

Aside from the books already mentioned, I've heard a rumor about an old warehouse find of copies of True Love Pictorial 3. I can't say that I've seen a whole lot of them over the years, but it might help explain why there's a freakish 9.6 copy in the CGC census.