• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

And an interesting corollary to this conversation is pricing. Is there a base these days that we can recognize for Bakers - that is, books with Baker covers at least? Or is it so individualistic as to be nearly impossible, with every book going through a market discovery process?

In this wild wild west can one say that a base is VG $250-$400, Fine $500-$700, VF $750-1000, VF/NM $1000+?

Sounds good. I said awhile back that any Baker romance in decent condition can expect a minimum of $500.00.

And an interesting corollary to this conversation is pricing. Is there a base these days that we can recognize for Bakers - that is, books with Baker covers at least? Or is it so individualistic as to be nearly impossible, with every book going through a market discovery process?

In this wild wild west can one say that a base is VG $250-$400, Fine $500-$700, VF $750-1000, VF/NM $1000+?

I'd say that's a fairly good average. Obviously, depending on the individual book, some will fall below, and others will rise well above that range.

So tough to judge. It's a small -- but growing! -- group of collectors chasing a small number of copies. For most Bakers, a very small number of copies in FN or better. Makes pricing hard to gauge.

Speaking of books that are scarce in high grade, just found out that in route back to me from Sarasota is a copy of Pictorial Romances 18 9.0 OW-W. :whee:

Yikes! We left off the list Seven Seas 4, which I think may be my favorite Baker cover.

Not quite sure this would make a "romance" list but I'd vote for it on a GGA cover list.

Now compare my previous list with this one: my personal Baker Top 10, ranked. Hardly in the same universe.

1. Teen-Age Romance 45

2. Cinderella Love 25

3. All Picture All True Love 1

4. Teen-Age Romances 14

5. Giant Comics Editions 15

6. Going Steady 12

7. Pictorial Romances 5

8. Pictorial Romances 17

9. Wartime Romances 12

10. Blue Ribbon 2

and, I'd put this St. John Warren King cover over many of the above - Adventures in Romance 1

Yikes! We left off the list Seven Seas 4, which I think may be my favorite Baker cover.

Not quite sure this would make a "romance" list but I'd vote for it on a GGA cover list.

Oh I don't know.

The shark clearly has a desire in its eyes for the girl.

I'd say it could be love at first bite. :grin:

Oh I don't know.

The shark clearly has a desire in its eyes for the girl.

I'd say it could be love at first bite. :grin:

lol touché

71dd4b0e-a6c5-4b1f-8ca5-5741f627a140_zpszoepmazh.jpg

Great book Sqeggs! Iv'e always liked your copy of that book. Since you squeezed in a non-Baker Romance i'm going to sneak this one under the wire :D

This is the Baker cover 'brother' to it's 'sister' Seven Seas 4. Wild Boy of the Congo 14. No 'babe' on the cover, but i think it's one of Mr. Baker's more underrated covers.

Wild%20Boy%20of%20the%20Congo%2015_zpszhvwq6kp.jpg

Great book Sqeggs! Iv'e always liked your copy of that book. Since you squeezed in a non-Baker Romance i'm going to sneak this one under the wire :D

This is the Baker cover 'brother' to it's 'sister' Seven Seas 4. Wild Boy of the Congo 14. No 'babe' on the cover, but i think it's one of Mr. Baker's more underrated covers.

Wild%20Boy%20of%20the%20Congo%2015_zpszhvwq6kp.jpg

Nice!

I'd be inclined to include all of Baker's St John work for purposes of this thread. And since Joanna isn't around much any more, what's to stop us? :D

(I realize that Seven Seas wasn't published by St John.)

Such a stunning cover and a gorgeous high grade copy. Thanks for sharing!

Now compare my previous list with this one: my personal Baker Top 10, ranked. Hardly in the same universe.

Here they are linked for RHG -

1. Teen-Age Romance 45 - TAR # 45

2. Cinderella Love 25 - CL # 25

3. All Picture All True Love 1 - APATL # 1

4. Teen-Age Romances 14 - TAR # 14

5. Giant Comics Editions 15 - GCE # 15

6. Going Steady 12 - GS # 12

7. Pictorial Romances 5 - PR # 5

8. Pictorial Romances 17 - PR # 17

9. Wartime Romances 12 - WR # 12

10. Blue Ribbon 2 - BR # 2

Congrats on the upcoming 9.0, Tony. The amount of 9.0 and higher slabs of Baker romance, after all these years, is still amazingly small. I figure it as 14 discrete issues, and 20 total copies, most of which will not come to market.

If there's a bottom line to a discussion of Baker scarcity/desirability, it's this - there are no covers that are so out of whack that they're a complete pass. In terms of content his output was remarkably consistent, ranging from at the worst "good" to beautiful.

Any copy that is 9.0 or better should be aggressively bought. By that I mean a price up to $2000. And that's a floor, not a ceiling.

Edited by Dr. Love